|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not true about Anthea's relationship with Tony after she leaves Tony's father?
(a) She sends clothes that are either too large or too small.
(b) She sees Tony every summer.
(c) She talks of having Tony visit for holidays but never does.
(d) She sends belated birthday cards and photos of herself.
2. In Chapter 15, what evidence tells Roz her son Larry has been to the Toxique?
(a) A Toxique matchbook in his shirt pocket.
(b) A Toxique menu on his desk.
(c) A credit card receipt from the Toxique in his wallet.
(d) Seeing him there when she lunches with Tony and Charis.
3. In Chapter 3, Tony recalls that Zenia's memorial service was held how long ago?
(a) Ten days earlier.
(b) Two years earlier.
(c) Five years earlier.
(d) A week earlier.
4. Where are Zenia's ashes interred in Chapter 3?
(a) In Lebanon, where Zenia was killed.
(b) In a public park.
(c) In the ocean.
(d) Under a tree at the cemetery.
5. Who does Tony describe in Chapter 1 as "a puzzle, a knot"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what do Tony, Roz and Charis talk about when they lunch together?
2. In the first line of the book, when does the narrator say the story of Zenia ought to begin?
3. What does Tony say at the beginning of Chapter 1 that Zenia would do "earnestly, with a catch in her voice, a quaver of suppressed grief, or... haltingly, as if confessing"?
4. What domestic metaphor does Tony use in her lecture in Chapter 1?
5. What nickname does Tony's mother, Anthea, give Tony as an infant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zenia use Tony in Chapter 25?
2. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
3. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
4. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
5. Were Tony's parents happily married?
6. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
7. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
8. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
9. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
10. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)