|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet Bridges, the private detective, tell Roz about Larry in Chapter 52?
(a) He's gay.
(b) He's been seen in Zenia's hotel room on a near-daily basis.
(c) He's on drugs.
(d) He's having an affair with Charis.
2. Why does Roz feel inferior to Mitch during lunch at the beginning of Chapter 41?
(a) She feels less educated than him.
(b) She feels less capable in business matters.
(c) She feels poorer than him.
(d) His family has a pedigree and hers does not.
3. How does Charis meet Zenia in Chapter 31?
(a) Billy brings Zenia home.
(b) Zenia comes to Charis's yoga class.
(c) They run into each other at a college reunion.
(d) They meet at church.
4. Which of these signs is not a reason Roz suspects Mitch is having another affair?
(a) Mitch uses aftershave on his groin.
(b) Mitch offers unasked for excuses for his behavior.
(c) Mitch has lipstick on his collar.
(d) Mitch becomes more attentive to Roz.
5. Who pays for Zenia's funeral in Chapter 55?
6. Where do Tony, Charis and Roz meet for dinner at the beginning of Chapter 51?
(a) Roz's house.
(b) The local deli.
(c) The Toxique.
(d) The university cafeteria.
7. What happens to Karen's inheritance from her grandmother?
(a) Karen gets it at age 21.
(b) Her aunt and uncle steal it.
(c) Her uncle doubles its worth through wise investments.
(d) The bank loses it in poor investments.
8. In Chapter 50, what does Charis see through Zenia's eyes in the astral realm?
(a) The ferry to the island.
(b) Dead chickens.
(c) Zenia's dead mother.
(d) Billy looking like raw meat.
9. What vision does Charis have when staring into a candle flame in Chapter 54?
(a) That Billy is about to return to her.
(b) That Zenia is pregnant.
(c) That Augusta is going to get married.
(d) That Zenia is dead.
10. How does Karen react when she is being raped?
(a) She passes out.
(b) She disassociates from her body.
(c) She becomes catatonic.
(d) She wants to kill herself.
11. What does Zenia claim to be when she seeks Roz's help in gaining employment at WiseWomanWorld?
(a) An editor.
(b) A journalist.
(c) A photographer.
(d) A teacher.
12. Who is the waitress who serves Roz and Mitch lunch in Chapter 41?
13. What does Billy tell Charis that Zenia is faking?
(a) Her financial need.
(b) Her affection for Charis.
(c) Her family background.
(d) Her cancer.
14. In Chapter 52, Charis chooses what items as totems on her altar before confronting Zenia?
(a) A good luck amulet and her deck of Tarot cards.
(b) A rosary and a white candle.
(c) A stick of incense and a lock of Zenia's hair.
(d) Roz's leather gloves and a book written by Tony.
15. How does Tony respond when Zenia asks to hide out at Tony's home?
(a) Tony offers to pay for a hotel room for Zenia instead.
(b) Tony threatens Zenia with the Luger.
(c) Tony calls West and tells him she's bringing home a guest.
(d) Tony says no.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is allowed to do what the boarders are not permitted to in Roz's mother's boarding house?
2. What does Charis raise at her house on the Island?
3. In Chapter 55, what secret is revealed to Roz by Boyce and Larry?
4. What reason does Zenia give for leaving Charis's home?
5. What kind of work does Charis do in Chapter 29?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)