|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Tony like to see on the faces of her listeners when she gives her lectures?
2. When Charis sees Zenia at Toxique in Chapter 10, what does she see swirling around Zenia?
(a) A calm, peaceful aura.
(b) A dark, malevolent aura.
(c) A beautiful red silk scarf.
(d) An aura of prosperity and joy.
3. In Chapter 1, to whom does Tony say that history is a construct?
(c) Her students.
4. Which of the following is not a trait Roz likes about her homosexual male assistant, Boyce?
(a) He respects corporate hierarchy.
(b) He reports all the office gossip to her.
(c) He fetches and carries for her as female employees don't.
(d) He is gentlemanly, intelligent and loyal.
5. As Charis boards the ferry at the end of Chapter 8, whose departure does she recall?
6. What nickname does Tony's mother, Anthea, give Tony as an infant?
7. In Chapter 1, why does Tony feel compelled to know Zenia's motivation?
(a) To understand Zenia's relationship with West.
(b) To understand her own reactions to Zenia's behavior.
(c) To help Charis and Roz heal.
(d) She doesn't know.
8. Who does Tony say in Chapter 1 "was a bad business, and should be left alone"?
9. In Chapter 19, how are the walls of West's apartment painted when Tony goes there for a party?
(a) Silver glitter and purple paint.
(b) Neon green paint.
(c) Red and pink spray paint.
(d) Glossy black enamel.
10. Who taught Tony to make a cup of tea?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
11. Which of the following is not true about the tale Zenia tells Tony of her own mother and childhood?
(a) Zenia's mother was a White Russian living in Paris.
(b) Zenia's mother died of tuberculosis.
(c) Zenia's mother rented Zenia out as a prostitute.
(d) Zenia's mother was a famous pianist.
12. After Zenia leaves him in Chapter 26, to whom does West turn for comfort and eventually marry?
13. What kind of collars does Tony wear in Chapter 1?
14. What does Tony say at the beginning of Chapter 1 that Zenia would do "earnestly, with a catch in her voice, a quaver of suppressed grief, or... haltingly, as if confessing"?
(c) Beg for forgiveness.
15. In Chapter 10, why does Charis ask the waitress at Toxique for a corner table near the mirror?
(a) Charis likes the view from that table.
(b) Charis is vain and likes to look at her own reflection.
(c) Charis likes to see who's approaching her.
(d) Mirrors deflect negative energy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What date does Tony decide to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
2. In Chapter 22, who was an English war bride?
3. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
4. What event is not happening on the day Tony decides to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
5. What was Charis's name before she changed it to Charis?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)