|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does Roz take the Benz rather than the Rolls to the office?
(a) The Rolls has a flat tire.
(b) The Rolls needs a brake job.
(c) The Benz is her lucky car.
(d) She thinks the Rolls is ostentatious.
2. Who is the antagonist in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Charis go to the Kafay Nwar in Chapter 11?
(a) To get coffee.
(b) To apply for a job.
(c) To meet a man for a date.
(d) To spy on Zenia.
4. Which of the following is not a result of Zenia's friendship with Tony in Chapter 20?
(a) The Common Room girls stop treating Tony as a pet.
(b) Tony starts dating lots of men.
(c) Zenia learns Tony's life story.
(d) The theater crowd accepts Tony's presence.
5. When Charis sees Zenia at Toxique in Chapter 10, what does she see swirling around Zenia?
(a) A calm, peaceful aura.
(b) An aura of prosperity and joy.
(c) A beautiful red silk scarf.
(d) A dark, malevolent aura.
6. What does Zenia start borrowing from Tony in Chapter 25?
(a) Her car.
(d) Her textbooks.
7. Who reverses words and thinks and writes them backwards?
8. Who does Tony describe in Chapter 1 as "a puzzle, a knot"?
9. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
(a) A doll.
(b) A dress two sizes too large for Tony.
(c) A photo album.
(d) A puppy.
10. At the end of Chapter 1, from what does Zenia return?
(a) A trip to Paris.
(b) The dead.
(c) The hospital.
11. What is the weather like on the day Tony decides to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
(a) Bright and clear and unseasonably warm.
(b) Cold and snowy.
12. In Chapter 1, what is the topic of what Tony describes as one of her more convoluted lectures?
(a) The Italian Renaissance.
(b) The English Regency.
(c) The dynamics of spontaneous massacres.
(d) French colonialism.
13. What domestic metaphor does Tony use in her lecture in Chapter 1?
(a) Weaving or knitting and sewing scissors.
14. In Chapter 1, what does Tony say comes unraveled if you "pick any strand and snip"?
(a) Tony's life.
(c) Roz's knitting.
(d) Zenia's love for West.
15. What is the name of the shop at which Charis works?
(a) La Magnifique.
(d) Crystal Palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Charis boards the ferry at the end of Chapter 8, whose departure does she recall?
2. In the first line of the book, when does the narrator say the story of Zenia ought to begin?
3. Shanita is the owner of the shop where Charis works. What is she like?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Tony like to see on the faces of her listeners when she gives her lectures?
5. Where are Zenia's ashes interred in Chapter 3?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)