|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what subject does Marx regularly lectures guests at the zoo?
2. What are Amanda's wishes for the Corpse?
3. Despite her open marriage with John Paul, why does Amanda refuse to have sex with Marx?
4. How does Plucky and the others know that Father Gustadt has found them?
5. On their way from their vegetation hunt, what depresses the Zillers and Marx?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Plucky being sent to Vatican City and why is this significant?
2. How does Plucky escape from the Vatican with the Corpse?
3. How do the Zillers, Plucky and Marx allow themselves to relax before addressing the presence of the Corpse?
4. Compare and contrast Pan and Jesus.
5. What is Plucky Purcell's fate and final message?
6. Why and how does Marx address Baby Thor?
7. Why do the Zillers tend to avoid alcohol?
8. Describe Amanda's suggestion that the federal agent is a symbol junkie.
9. How does Plucky stumble over the Corpse?
10. What argument does Marx use on Amanda against vegetarianism and what conclusions does she draw from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the clashes between the government and "normal" society with people such as the Zillers, the circus people, and Plucky Purcell. Detail the history behind the prejudices each group may hold about the other and how their interactions are based out of these ingrained biases. Also discuss how the discussions about the Corpse are reflective of the way these people have been treated by the government and mainstream society in the past. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)