|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Marx from becoming too jealous over Plucky's sexual encounter with Amanda?
2. When Tarzan compares Jesus to Pan, what does he claim the two divine beings had in common?
3. What natural disaster occurs in Vatican City, causing Plucky to go explore the vaults?
4. For what piece of vegetation does Marx help the Zillers hunt?
5. What impresses and intimidates Plucky about the Vatican?
Short Essay Questions
1. What observations do the Zillers and Marx make about the loggers and their work?
2. How does Plucky stumble over the Corpse?
3. Describe Amanda's suggestion that the federal agent is a symbol junkie.
4. What is Marx's suggestion about Plucky's plan for the Corpse and why?
5. Discuss the continual conflict between Marx and Amanda prior to his suicide attempt.
6. What does Plucky notice about the Vatican that pushes him to conclude that the Catholic church is dying?
7. Compare and contrast Pan and Jesus.
8. What argument does Marx use on Amanda against vegetarianism and what conclusions does she draw from this?
9. Describe Marx and Amanda's last night and morning at the zoo.
10. What duties does Marx perform at the zoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characterization of Marx Marvelous in the following format:
Part 1) Scientist.
Part 2) Failed Agnostic.
Part 3) Attraction to Amanda's sexuality and mothering ways.
Part 4) Suicide attempt.
Part 5) His opinions on the fate of the Corpse.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)