|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda attempt to teach Marx in his first days with their zoos?
2. What awakens the group the first morning they have assembled together to discuss the Second Coming?
3. After the arrival of Father Gustadt and the undercover agents, what does Marx wake up to discover the next day?
4. How did the narrator and Amanda liberate the fleas?
5. While Amanda ultimately decides there is nothing morally wrong with eating meat, with what practice does she take umbrage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how does Marx address Baby Thor?
2. Why does Amanda refuse to sleep with Marx and what occurs after her announcement?
3. Describe Amanda's suggestion that the federal agent is a symbol junkie.
4. Discuss the continual conflict between Marx and Amanda prior to his suicide attempt.
5. What is Marx's suggestion about Plucky's plan for the Corpse and why?
6. What duties does Marx perform at the zoo?
7. What is significant about the Corpse's appearance?
8. Why does Amanda decide she no longer wishes to be a part of the Corpse's future?
9. Compare and contrast Pan and Jesus.
10. Describe Marx and Amanda's last night and morning at the zoo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does John Paul and Amanda's love for one another reflect upon their individual spiritual beliefs? Compose an essay that analyzes the spiritual aspects of their relationship, including his acceptance of her children, their open sexual nature, and John Paul's decision to commandeer the experimental balloon. Be sure to also discuss how their personal motivations in life affect their ability to live with and without each other. Cite specific examples from the text so support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The beginning is the end is the beginning. Discuss the cyclical natures of both beginnings and ends in regards to "Another Roadside Attraction." Develop a clear thesis statement and an outline in order to clarify your thoughts. Be sure to focus on several different elements, including (but not exclusively) religion, characters, and death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that presents the character of Mon Cul as the link between science and faith (Marx Marvelous's motivation through the novel). Discuss his layered role as a companion to John Paul (as well as the man's motivation for acquiring the baboon) and the significance behind the experimental balloon's need for baboons (particularly in regards to Mon Cul steering the balloon with himself, John Paul, and the Corpse as passengers). Develop a clear thesis statement on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)