|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the narrator and Amanda liberate the fleas?
2. What self-imposed is inflicting Jesus in Marx's vision?
3. Fill in the blank: Amanda pays for her purchase from the Cowboy (acquired after the employment of Marx Marvelous) with four wishes and ___ _____.
4. What awakens the group the first morning they have assembled together to discuss the Second Coming?
5. Who does Marx suggest to the reader that should be a replacement for Jesus Christ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Marx use on Amanda against vegetarianism and what conclusions does she draw from this?
2. What is Plucky Purcell's fate and final message?
3. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
4. Why does Marx attempt suicide and what change overcome him as a result?
5. How does Plucky stumble over the Corpse?
6. What does Plucky notice about the Vatican that pushes him to conclude that the Catholic church is dying?
7. What is John Paul's plan for the Corpse when he disappears with it, Mon Cul, and Plucky Purcell?
8. What observations do the Zillers and Marx make about the loggers and their work?
9. How do the Zillers, Plucky and Marx allow themselves to relax before addressing the presence of the Corpse?
10. How does Plucky escape from the Vatican with the Corpse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does the cowboy play in "Another Roadside Attraction"? How are his interactions with Amanda related to Marx Marvelous's theories about Amanda's brand of mysticism being the religion of the future? What does this suggest about the cowboy himself? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay about the cowboy. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Plucky Purcell's experiences with the Society of the Felicitator and how the inner workings of the Catholic Church sharply contrast with the persistent image presented to the public. How do his experiences help to shape his worldview, particularly after meeting Sister Hillary? In what ways does this help prepare Plucky for his final contributions to the world, as well as his death? Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)