|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is revealed to be the narrator of this book?
2. On their way from their vegetation hunt, what depresses the Zillers and Marx?
3. Where are the lumberjacks spotted by Marx and the Zillers?
4. After and despite her declaration that she cannot sleep with Marx, what transpires between Marx and Amanda?
5. What significant fact is brought into questioning concerning the presence of the Corpse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Plucky escape from the Vatican with the Corpse?
2. What is John Paul's plan for the Corpse when he disappears with it, Mon Cul, and Plucky Purcell?
3. What duties does Marx perform at the zoo?
4. Describe Amanda's suggestion that the federal agent is a symbol junkie.
5. What is Marx's suggestion about Plucky's plan for the Corpse and why?
6. What purpose does the delivery man serve in interrupting the group's celebration?
7. Why do the Zillers tend to avoid alcohol?
8. Compare and contrast Pan and Jesus.
9. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
10. What observations do the Zillers and Marx make about the loggers and their work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the clashes between the government and "normal" society with people such as the Zillers, the circus people, and Plucky Purcell. Detail the history behind the prejudices each group may hold about the other and how their interactions are based out of these ingrained biases. Also discuss how the discussions about the Corpse are reflective of the way these people have been treated by the government and mainstream society in the past. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Plucky Purcell's experiences with the Society of the Felicitator and how the inner workings of the Catholic Church sharply contrast with the persistent image presented to the public. How do his experiences help to shape his worldview, particularly after meeting Sister Hillary? In what ways does this help prepare Plucky for his final contributions to the world, as well as his death? Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)