|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amanda appear to flummox the FBI agents in the future?
2. For what piece of vegetation does Marx help the Zillers hunt?
3. How does Marx argue against vegetarianism with Amanda?
4. According to Nearly Normal Jimmy's trance message to Amanda at the end of the book, what movie will set Tibet on the correct spiritual path again?
5. What impresses and intimidates Plucky about the Vatican?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Marx use on Amanda against vegetarianism and what conclusions does she draw from this?
2. What is Marx's suggestion about Plucky's plan for the Corpse and why?
3. How does Plucky stumble over the Corpse?
4. What observations do the Zillers and Marx make about the loggers and their work?
5. How has Plucky been handling his situation with the Society, per Marx's initiation into the secret infiltration?
6. What is Amanda's theory about Marx's presence at their zoo?
7. Describe Marx and Amanda's last night and morning at the zoo.
8. What is Plucky Purcell's fate and final message?
9. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
10. What is John Paul's plan for the Corpse when he disappears with it, Mon Cul, and Plucky Purcell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)