|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plucky feel about Amanda?
2. What device arrives at John Paul and Amanda's restaurant?
3. What position does Marx Marvelous pursue with Amanda and John Paul?
4. How did Plucky manage to end his college football career?
5. Which of John Paul and Amanda's friends also befriended Marx Marvelous, leading the man to seek out the couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
2. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
3. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
4. Who is Amanda?
5. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
6. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
7. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
8. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
9. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
10. Describe John Paul's gifts to his wife in the hospital and meaning behind them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the role natural elements from the earth play in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Thunderstorms.
Part 2) Mushrooms.
Part 3) Earthquakes.
Part 4) Sun and solar radiation.
Part 5) The food and beverage offered at the roadside zoo.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the clashes between the government and "normal" society with people such as the Zillers, the circus people, and Plucky Purcell. Detail the history behind the prejudices each group may hold about the other and how their interactions are based out of these ingrained biases. Also discuss how the discussions about the Corpse are reflective of the way these people have been treated by the government and mainstream society in the past. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)