|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John Paul, what disease has genetically altered mankind for the better?
2. How does Plucky rid himself of the rednecks?
3. When John Paul leaves a note for Amanda in the hospital, in what form does he express his sympathies?
4. What position does Marx Marvelous pursue with Amanda and John Paul?
5. What governmental agency is revealed to be involved with the mysterious magician?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
2. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
3. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
4. What happens to Amanda's pregnancy?
5. How does Plucky Purcell keep the rednecks from hassling the circus?
6. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
7. According to the jumps in the future with the narrator, what is significant about John Paul's disappearance?
8. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
9. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
10. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of animals in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Butterflies.
Part 2) Amanda and John Paul's devotion to the garter snake.
Part 3) The zoo without animals.
Part 4) Tarzan's analysis of the god Pan.
Part 5) Mon Cul.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the clashes between the government and "normal" society with people such as the Zillers, the circus people, and Plucky Purcell. Detail the history behind the prejudices each group may hold about the other and how their interactions are based out of these ingrained biases. Also discuss how the discussions about the Corpse are reflective of the way these people have been treated by the government and mainstream society in the past. Be sure to develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)