Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plucky feel about Amanda?
2. What comprises John Paul Ziller's normal attire?
3. In what branch of the military was Plucky once enlisted?
4. What is revealed about John Paul's relationship status?
5. Where is the mysterious symbol on Amanda's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
2. What does Amanda point out that squashes Pulcky and Marx's idea of using the corpse to blackmail people in charge of the world?
3. Why does Amanda decide she no longer wishes to be a part of the Corpse's future?
4. What does Plucky notice about the Vatican that pushes him to conclude that the Catholic church is dying?
5. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
6. Why does Amanda refuse to sleep with Marx and what occurs after her announcement?
7. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
8. Who is Amanda?
9. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
10. Who is Sister Hillary and why is she important?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The beginning is the end is the beginning. Discuss the cyclical natures of both beginnings and ends in regards to "Another Roadside Attraction." Develop a clear thesis statement and an outline in order to clarify your thoughts. Be sure to focus on several different elements, including (but not exclusively) religion, characters, and death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)