|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What device arrives at John Paul and Amanda's restaurant?
2. What does Ziller generally report as his profession on government forms?
3. What concerns Amanda about John Paul's quiet anxiety as they restore their new home?
4. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
5. When the narrator switches story lines after discussing the logistics of Amanda's hospitalization, in what state is he and Amanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
2. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
3. Why does Marx attempt suicide and what change overcome him as a result?
4. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
5. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
6. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
7. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
8. According to the jumps in the future with the narrator, what is significant about John Paul's disappearance?
9. How does Plucky Purcell keep the rednecks from hassling the circus?
10. How does Plucky stumble over the Corpse?
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does the cowboy play in "Another Roadside Attraction"? How are his interactions with Amanda related to Marx Marvelous's theories about Amanda's brand of mysticism being the religion of the future? What does this suggest about the cowboy himself? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay about the cowboy. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How does John Paul and Amanda's love for one another reflect upon their individual spiritual beliefs? Compose an essay that analyzes the spiritual aspects of their relationship, including his acceptance of her children, their open sexual nature, and John Paul's decision to commandeer the experimental balloon. Be sure to also discuss how their personal motivations in life affect their ability to live with and without each other. Cite specific examples from the text so support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 2,659 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)