|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what insect is Marx Marvelous fascinated on a scientific level?
2. What is the name of John Paul's former band?
3. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
4. Where is the mysterious symbol on Amanda's body?
5. What is cited as evidence of genetic memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
2. Why did Amanda's lover's band get arrested?
3. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
4. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
5. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
6. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
7. Why is John Paul distracted when he and Amanda begin to restore the shack and how does she feel about it?
8. Describe Plucky's college football career.
9. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
10. Who is Amanda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that presents the character of Mon Cul as the link between science and faith (Marx Marvelous's motivation through the novel). Discuss his layered role as a companion to John Paul (as well as the man's motivation for acquiring the baboon) and the significance behind the experimental balloon's need for baboons (particularly in regards to Mon Cul steering the balloon with himself, John Paul, and the Corpse as passengers). Develop a clear thesis statement on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the government and the church in "Another Roadside Attraction." Discuss how Amanda's discussions with the federal agents and Plucky's encounter with Sister Hillary are reflective of an institution's ability to use innocent people for their own purposes. Finally, analyze the flaws in these systems as presented in this book and how Marx's theories about the downfall of these institutions is slow, yet inevitable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characterization of Marx Marvelous in the following format:
Part 1) Scientist.
Part 2) Failed Agnostic.
Part 3) Attraction to Amanda's sexuality and mothering ways.
Part 4) Suicide attempt.
Part 5) His opinions on the fate of the Corpse.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)