|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
2. What is significant about Marx Marvelous's introduction to John Paul and Amanda?
3. Where was John Paul Ziller born?
4. Who is the circus manager and ringmaster of the Indo Tibetan Circus and Giant Panda Gypsy Blues Band?
5. What endangered animal do John Paul and Amanda agree to focus on conserving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Second Coming as Marx discovers it.
2. Describe Plucky's college football career.
3. Why does Amanda refuse to sleep with Marx and what occurs after her announcement?
4. Describe John Paul Ziller's childhood.
5. Who is Amanda?
6. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
7. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
8. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
9. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
10. Why is Plucky being sent to Vatican City and why is this significant?
Essay Topic 1
"He's a symbol junkie . . . people like him- that is, the majority- are strung out on symbols. They're so addicted that they prefer abstract symbols to the concrete things which symbols represent. It's much easier to cope with the abstract than with the concrete; there's no direct, personal involvement- and you can keep an abstract idea steady in your mind whereas real things are usually in a state of flux and always changing. It's safer to play around with a man's wife than with his cliches." Write an essay about Amanda's statement. Discuss what it means to the Second Coming as depicted in this novel and how it affects the ways in which Amanda and John Paul live their lives. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What purpose does the cowboy play in "Another Roadside Attraction"? How are his interactions with Amanda related to Marx Marvelous's theories about Amanda's brand of mysticism being the religion of the future? What does this suggest about the cowboy himself? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay about the cowboy. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
This section contains 2,529 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)