|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer from Nearly Normal Jimmy did John Paul decline after the disbanding of the circus?
2. What drug was once found on Plucky that helped lead to his dishonorable discharge from the military?
3. What is the name of the society Plucky has accidentally infiltrated?
4. What endangered animal do John Paul and Amanda agree to focus on conserving?
5. How does Amanda regard the nature of the universe in regards to Plucky's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Plucky become a drug dealer?
2. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
3. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
4. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
5. Who is Amanda?
6. Describe Plucky's college football career.
7. How does Plucky Purcell keep the rednecks from hassling the circus?
8. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
9. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
10. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that presents the character of Mon Cul as the link between science and faith (Marx Marvelous's motivation through the novel). Discuss his layered role as a companion to John Paul (as well as the man's motivation for acquiring the baboon) and the significance behind the experimental balloon's need for baboons (particularly in regards to Mon Cul steering the balloon with himself, John Paul, and the Corpse as passengers). Develop a clear thesis statement on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)