|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was John Paul Ziller born?
2. In what month did the Indo-Tibetan circus disband?
3. For what baked good does Amanda become famous?
4. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
5. What type of vegetation is common to the area in which John Paul and Amanda settle, much to their delight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
2. How does the narrator equate butterflies to John Paul and Amanda?
3. Describe Plucky's college football career.
4. What solution does Amanda come up with in regards to the animal portion of their zoo?
5. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
6. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
7. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
8. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
9. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
10. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the possibilities that Marx, Plucky, and Ziller consider for the Corpse and why? What are the pros and cons to every idea? How do their personal viewpoints affect their opinions on the Corpse's fate? What are some of the morally gray areas about which the four of them are forced to debate in this regard? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that analyzes Marx's vision of Jesus Christ and Pan and how this vision is essentially the apex of Marx's journey to discover a new brand of spirituality. Be sure to discuss, as well, the role Tarzan is apparently playing in the spiritual healing of Tibet (per Nearly Normal Jimmy). Develop a clear thesis statement and outline for this essay and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)