|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Marx Marvelous's introduction to John Paul and Amanda?
2. Who is the head of the secret society of monks?
3. In the different time frame, how does Amanda spend a great deal of her time, according to the narrator?
4. Even though Marx finds it hard to take John Paul seriously, what does the scientist admit about the magician?
5. What offer from Nearly Normal Jimmy did John Paul decline after the disbanding of the circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Plucky's college football career.
2. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
3. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
4. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
5. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
6. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
7. How does the narrator equate butterflies to John Paul and Amanda?
8. What are Marx's impressions of the hot dog stand?
9. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
10. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that analyzes Marx's vision of Jesus Christ and Pan and how this vision is essentially the apex of Marx's journey to discover a new brand of spirituality. Be sure to discuss, as well, the role Tarzan is apparently playing in the spiritual healing of Tibet (per Nearly Normal Jimmy). Develop a clear thesis statement and outline for this essay and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)