|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Amanda's small child at the beginning of this novel?
2. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
3. Why does Amanda insist upon freeing the garter snakes and fleas when the narrator switches to the future time frame?
4. What governmental agency is revealed to be involved with the mysterious magician?
5. What disappoint Amanda about the weather of her new home with John Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
2. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
3. What compromises do the Zillers make about food in their roadside zoo?
4. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
5. What solution does Amanda come up with in regards to the animal portion of their zoo?
6. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
7. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
8. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
9. How does Plucky Purcell keep the rednecks from hassling the circus?
10. Describe John Paul's gifts to his wife in the hospital and meaning behind them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Amanda as a possible replacement for Jesus Christ. Compare and contrast the two characters, particularly in regards to their religion and analyze the reasons who Marx believes that Amanda's brand of spirituality is more in tune with the needs of the modern world. Compose a thesis statement and cites specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The beginning is the end is the beginning. Discuss the cyclical natures of both beginnings and ends in regards to "Another Roadside Attraction." Develop a clear thesis statement and an outline in order to clarify your thoughts. Be sure to focus on several different elements, including (but not exclusively) religion, characters, and death.
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)