|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Marx Marvelous pursue with Amanda and John Paul?
2. What dead animal do the Zillers have on display at their zoo?
3. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
4. What story does Plucky tell the rednecks to appease their anger at the circus folk?
5. What is celebrated at the banquet on Ziller's first night with the circus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differing opinions on the spiritual power of thunderstorms?
2. What solution does Amanda come up with in regards to the animal portion of their zoo?
3. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
4. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
5. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
6. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
7. Why did Plucky become a drug dealer?
8. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
9. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
10. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of art in John Paul's life in the following format:
Part 1) Music.
Part 2) Sculpture as a metaphor.
Part 3) His fascination with the Corpse.
Part 4) Plucky's claim that artists believe all metaphors are real.
Part 5) His melding of sex and art in his relationship with Amanda.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are the possibilities that Marx, Plucky, and Ziller consider for the Corpse and why? What are the pros and cons to every idea? How do their personal viewpoints affect their opinions on the Corpse's fate? What are some of the morally gray areas about which the four of them are forced to debate in this regard? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)