Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plucky feel about Amanda?
2. What comprises John Paul Ziller's normal attire?
3. In what branch of the military was Plucky once enlisted?
4. What is revealed about John Paul's relationship status?
5. Where is the mysterious symbol on Amanda's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrative form of "Another Roadside Attraction."
2. What does Amanda point out that squashes Pulcky and Marx's idea of using the corpse to blackmail people in charge of the world?
3. Why does Amanda decide she no longer wishes to be a part of the Corpse's future?
4. What does Plucky notice about the Vatican that pushes him to conclude that the Catholic church is dying?
5. According to Tarzan, why did men start fearing death?
6. Why does Amanda refuse to sleep with Marx and what occurs after her announcement?
7. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
8. Who is Amanda?
9. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
10. Who is Sister Hillary and why is she important?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that presents the character of Mon Cul as the link between science and faith (Marx Marvelous's motivation through the novel). Discuss his layered role as a companion to John Paul (as well as the man's motivation for acquiring the baboon) and the significance behind the experimental balloon's need for baboons (particularly in regards to Mon Cul steering the balloon with himself, John Paul, and the Corpse as passengers). Develop a clear thesis statement on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How does John Paul and Amanda's love for one another reflect upon their individual spiritual beliefs? Compose an essay that analyzes the spiritual aspects of their relationship, including his acceptance of her children, their open sexual nature, and John Paul's decision to commandeer the experimental balloon. Be sure to also discuss how their personal motivations in life affect their ability to live with and without each other. Cite specific examples from the text so support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the complexities of Marx and Amanda's relationship. Discuss his visceral attraction to her and his need for a motherly and spiritual figure in life, as well as his suicide attempt after her rejection. From Amanda's perspective, discuss her reasons for sleeping with other men and her rejection of Marx Marvelous. Do not forget to discuss their sexual encounter at the end of the book and their motivations for doing so. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)