|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the rednecks at the bar disapprove of the circus?
2. What plants does John Paul bring Amanda in the hospital?
3. For what does Marx express disdain in regard to Amanda?
4. With whom does Mon Cul travel when the circus prepares to move?
5. How does Amanda regard the nature of the universe in regards to Plucky's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
2. Why is John Paul distracted when he and Amanda begin to restore the shack and how does she feel about it?
3. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
4. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
5. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
6. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
7. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
8. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
9. Why did Amanda's lover's band get arrested?
10. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does John Paul and Amanda's love for one another reflect upon their individual spiritual beliefs? Compose an essay that analyzes the spiritual aspects of their relationship, including his acceptance of her children, their open sexual nature, and John Paul's decision to commandeer the experimental balloon. Be sure to also discuss how their personal motivations in life affect their ability to live with and without each other. Cite specific examples from the text so support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the role natural elements from the earth play in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Thunderstorms.
Part 2) Mushrooms.
Part 3) Earthquakes.
Part 4) Sun and solar radiation.
Part 5) The food and beverage offered at the roadside zoo.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the death of John Paul Ziller in the following format:
Part 1) Foreshadowing.
Part 2) Returning to "the source."
Part 3) The artist and the metaphor.
Part 4) His relationship with Amanda.
Part 5) Sacrifice versus suicide.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)