|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
2. When the narrator switches story lines after discussing the logistics of Amanda's hospitalization, in what state is he and Amanda?
3. What is revealed about John Paul's relationship status?
4. What is significant about Amanda's pregnancy on the first night of her relationship with Ziller?
5. Where is the mysterious symbol on Amanda's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
2. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
3. Why is Marx interested in working with John Paul and Amanda?
4. What are the differing opinions on the spiritual power of thunderstorms?
5. How does the narrator equate butterflies to John Paul and Amanda?
6. How does Plucky Purcell keep the rednecks from hassling the circus?
7. Describe Plucky's college football career.
8. According to the jumps in the future with the narrator, what is significant about John Paul's disappearance?
9. What solution does Amanda come up with in regards to the animal portion of their zoo?
10. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does John Paul and Amanda's love for one another reflect upon their individual spiritual beliefs? Compose an essay that analyzes the spiritual aspects of their relationship, including his acceptance of her children, their open sexual nature, and John Paul's decision to commandeer the experimental balloon. Be sure to also discuss how their personal motivations in life affect their ability to live with and without each other. Cite specific examples from the text so support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What are the possibilities that Marx, Plucky, and Ziller consider for the Corpse and why? What are the pros and cons to every idea? How do their personal viewpoints affect their opinions on the Corpse's fate? What are some of the morally gray areas about which the four of them are forced to debate in this regard? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)