|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Plucky rid himself of the rednecks?
2. Which of John Paul and Amanda's friends also befriended Marx Marvelous, leading the man to seek out the couple?
3. With what sort of friends and clients does Plucky prefer to associate?
4. What instrument does Ziller play as Amanda sings during their first meeting?
5. What did Marx previously conclude about Christianity, prior to his employment by the Zillers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is John Paul distracted when he and Amanda begin to restore the shack and how does she feel about it?
2. How does John Paul pay for Amanda's hospitalization?
3. Why did Marx create a new name for himself?
4. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
5. Why did Amanda's lover's band get arrested?
6. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
7. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
8. How does the narrator equate butterflies to John Paul and Amanda?
9. What is significant about Plucky's job in logging?
10. Describe John Paul's gifts to his wife in the hospital and meaning behind them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the role natural elements from the earth play in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Thunderstorms.
Part 2) Mushrooms.
Part 3) Earthquakes.
Part 4) Sun and solar radiation.
Part 5) The food and beverage offered at the roadside zoo.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay focusing on the characterization of Plucky Purcell. Detail how his family life, collegiate exploits, and various careers in life showcase a conflicted, possibly hypocritical character whose anarchist tendencies led him to making a discovery about the Catholic Church that could topple over the world. Make sure to also analyze the note found on his body after helping to launch the experimental balloon. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the significance of animals in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Butterflies.
Part 2) Amanda and John Paul's devotion to the garter snake.
Part 3) The zoo without animals.
Part 4) Tarzan's analysis of the god Pan.
Part 5) Mon Cul.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)