|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cited as evidence of genetic memory?
2. With what insect is Marx Marvelous fascinated on a scientific level?
3. After his discharge from the military, what vocation did Plucky explore?
4. What endangered animal do John Paul and Amanda agree to focus on conserving?
5. For which college did Plucky play football?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Society of the Felicitator.
2. What happens to Amanda's pregnancy?
3. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
4. How does Plucky infiltrate the Society of the Felicitator?
5. Why was Plucky discharged from the military?
6. Who is Amanda?
7. Why is Marx on the run from the government?
8. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
9. Describe John Paul's gifts to his wife in the hospital and meaning behind them.
10. Why did Amanda's lover's band get arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the possibilities that Marx, Plucky, and Ziller consider for the Corpse and why? What are the pros and cons to every idea? How do their personal viewpoints affect their opinions on the Corpse's fate? What are some of the morally gray areas about which the four of them are forced to debate in this regard? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the cowboy play in "Another Roadside Attraction"? How are his interactions with Amanda related to Marx Marvelous's theories about Amanda's brand of mysticism being the religion of the future? What does this suggest about the cowboy himself? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay about the cowboy. Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to help support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Amanda's children in the following format:
Part 1) Baby Thor and his eyes.
Part 2) Amanda as an earth mother.
Part 3) The miscarriage.
Part 4) The cyclical nature of life.
Part 5) John Paul's death and Amanda's pregnancy.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)