|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Amanda, John Paul, and their neighbor find out about the attempted theft of the baboon at the zoo?
2. According to the narrator, what keeps Plucky from having a traditionally handsome face?
3. Fill in the blank: the name "Marvelous" was chosen by Marx Marvelous to trigger America's hatred of _______.
4. Who is the circus manager and ringmaster of the Indo Tibetan Circus and Giant Panda Gypsy Blues Band?
5. What does Marx believe about John Paul and Amanda in regards to religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Paul Ziller's childhood.
2. What are some of the potential obstacles to Amanda and John Paul's relationship and how do they work around them?
3. Who is Amanda?
4. What solution does Amanda come up with in regards to the animal portion of their zoo?
5. What is significant about the suitcase found in Miami?
6. Describe Amanda and John Paul's wedding ceremony.
7. How does Marx feel about John Paul and Amanda?
8. How does the narrator equate butterflies to John Paul and Amanda?
9. How does Ziller end up joining the Indo-Tibetan Circus?
10. How does Marx Marvelous attract John Paul and Amanda's attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the role natural elements from the earth play in "Another Roadside Attraction" in the following format:
Part 1) Thunderstorms.
Part 2) Mushrooms.
Part 3) Earthquakes.
Part 4) Sun and solar radiation.
Part 5) The food and beverage offered at the roadside zoo.
Essay Topic 2
What are the possibilities that Marx, Plucky, and Ziller consider for the Corpse and why? What are the pros and cons to every idea? How do their personal viewpoints affect their opinions on the Corpse's fate? What are some of the morally gray areas about which the four of them are forced to debate in this regard? Discuss the answers to these questions in an essay. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that presents the character of Mon Cul as the link between science and faith (Marx Marvelous's motivation through the novel). Discuss his layered role as a companion to John Paul (as well as the man's motivation for acquiring the baboon) and the significance behind the experimental balloon's need for baboons (particularly in regards to Mon Cul steering the balloon with himself, John Paul, and the Corpse as passengers). Develop a clear thesis statement on this topic and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)