|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to his letter, why does Plucky entertain notions of burning down the monastery?
(a) His next assignment appears to be an assassination.
(b) He is afraid that they will spread their anger throughout the world.
(c) He thinks he is being held prisoner.
(d) He believes there is no point to living.
2. How does Marx scientifically date the Corpse?
(a) Rate of deterioration.
(b) Carbon dating.
(c) Fingerprint analysis.
(d) The acidity of the cloths wrapping the Corpse.
3. In order to smuggle the Corpse out of the country, within what does Plucky convince his artist friend to encase the body?
(d) A wooden sarcophagus.
4. Given the existence of the Society of the Felicitate, what does Plucky point out as being a probable solution from the Vatican?
(a) The Vatican will be at the mercy of Father Gustadt.
(b) The Vatican may work with them to present Christianity with a clean slate.
(c) The Vatican could kill them in order to keep the Corpse a secret.
(d) The Society of the Felicitate is the true power behind the church.
5. How does Marx argue against vegetarianism with Amanda?
(a) The African witchdoctors hail hunting an animal as the highest form of respect for the animal's capabilities and life.
(b) South American witches ate fish.
(c) The American Indians ate buffalo.
(d) He points out that Hindus worship the cow because of the meat it provides.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Peace Corp officer's letter, where is Nearly Normal Jimmy going?
2. Why do the Zillers rarely drink alcohol?
3. Why do the Zillers, Marx, and Plucky find the Second Coming problematic?
4. In this flash-forward into the future, of what does Marx feel he and Amanda are running out?
5. When Marx is introduced to the letters of Plucky, how long has Plucky Purcell been in the monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Pan and Jesus.
2. How do the Zillers, Plucky and Marx allow themselves to relax before addressing the presence of the Corpse?
3. What is Plucky Purcell's fate and final message?
4. What purpose does the delivery man serve in interrupting the group's celebration?
5. Describe Amanda's suggestion that the federal agent is a symbol junkie.
6. Why does Amanda decide she no longer wishes to be a part of the Corpse's future?
7. Why do the Zillers tend to avoid alcohol?
8. What does Plucky notice about the Vatican that pushes him to conclude that the Catholic church is dying?
9. What argument does Marx use on Amanda against vegetarianism and what conclusions does she draw from this?
10. What duties does Marx perform at the zoo?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)