|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new character is referenced when the narrator switches time frames after discussing Amanda's time in the hospital?
(a) Marx Marvelous.
(b) Ellen Cherry Charles-Petway.
(c) Bernard Mickey Wrangle.
2. Which of John Paul and Amanda's friends also befriended Marx Marvelous, leading the man to seek out the couple?
(a) Plucky Purcell.
(c) Smokestack Lightening.
(d) Nearly Normal Jimmy.
3. Calming Amanda's fears about his temperament, what reason does John Paul cite for his detachment as they restore their new home after the disbanding of the circus?
(a) He is afraid Mon Cul is homesick.
(b) He had a bad dream about Amanda's unborn child.
(c) He is worried that Baby Thor does not care for him as a father.
(d) He has not heard from Plucky in a long time.
4. What is significant about Amanda's pregnancy on the first night of her relationship with Ziller?
(a) Ziller suggests that he is still the father.
(b) Ziller is initially concerned, but lets it pass.
(c) Ziller grows angry at her pregnancy.
(d) Ziller ignores the pregnancy entirely.
5. What is cited as evidence of genetic memory?
(a) The birds flying south for the winter.
(b) The drumbeats the compel dancing.
(c) The earthworms coming up to the surface after a rain.
(d) The monarch butterflies return to the same trees.
6. When creating a sign that can be seen for miles, what shape does John Paul use in order to catch people's eyes?
(a) Hot dog.
(c) Six-pointed star.
7. What does Marx believe about John Paul and Amanda in regards to religion?
(a) Baby Thor could grow up to be a priest with their influence.
(b) They could change the world with their marriage.
(c) They are the bringers of a new spirituality.
(d) They could subvert Christianity.
8. Fill in the blank: the name "Marx" was chosen by Marx Marvelous because it triggered America's hatred of _______.
(b) Jewish men from New York.
(d) Misspelled names.
9. Where was John Paul Ziller born?
(a) The Congo.
(b) The Romanian caravans.
(c) The Sahara.
(d) The Nile.
10. How does Plucky feel about Amanda?
(a) He is instantly attracted to her.
(b) He does not agree with her lifestyle, but likes her as a person.
(c) He knows that she will be John Paul's downfall.
(d) He feels that she is wrong for John Paul.
11. What is the name of John Paul's former band?
(a) Hoodoo Meat Bucket.
(b) Long-Haired Freaky People.
(c) Congolese Congo Kings.
(d) Southern Upstarts.
12. What dead animal do the Zillers have on display at their zoo?
(a) A tsetse fly.
(b) A garter snake.
(c) A grizzly bear.
(d) A baboon.
13. From whom does Amanda purchase the rooster?
(a) The Cowboy.
(c) Bonanza Jellybean.
(d) The Woodpecker.
14. Even though Marx finds it hard to take John Paul seriously, what does the scientist admit about the magician?
(a) John Paul is incredibly passionate.
(b) John Paul is the smartest man he had ever met.
(c) John Paul loves his family more than life itself.
(d) John Paul is incredibly impressive and charismatic.
15. What did Plucky stumble over while walking in the woods?
(a) Mon Cul.
(b) A gentle grizzly bear.
(c) A dead monk.
(d) A woman being mugged.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what baked good does Amanda become famous?
2. What is the name of Amanda's small child at the beginning of this novel?
3. What comprises John Paul Ziller's normal attire?
4. Why does Mon Cul bite one of the rednecks?
5. With what sort of friends and clients does Plucky prefer to associate?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)