Part 1, pages 1-23
• Details are given about the discovery of the magician's suitcase in Miami before the novel reverts to the past.
• Amanda is introduced as a free-spirited young woman, steeped in love, mysticism, and sexuality.
• She attempts to have butterfly larva smuggled into the United States, though her lover and his band (the smugglers) are caught and arrested.
• Amanda joins the Indo-Tibetan Circus and Giant Panda Gypsy Blues Band, revealing her talent as a clairvoyant (though her connections to the spirit world are somewhat uncontrolled).
• John Paul Ziller is introduced as a mysterious artist with an affinity for the African culture, music, and a friendly baboon named Mon Cul.
• Several members of the circus are arrested (per the norm), though their drummer remains incarcerated.
• Nearly Normal Jimmy recruits Ziller to replace the drummer.
• Ziller and Amanda experience intense love at first sight with each other.
Part 1, pages 24-47
This section contains 1,900 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)