|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stacey's truck while the group sleeps?
2. On what day does the group attempt to take Clarence to the hospital?
3. Where does Moe decide he will get on the train?
4. In Chapter 6, where does the group decide that Moe will go?
5. Where does a double lynching occur in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Jeremy feel empty in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Moe choose to take the train rather than have his friends drive him the whole way?
3. What becomes evident from the group's experience at the train station?
4. Describe the interaction between Solomon and Cassie.
5. What plan is set in place for Moe?
6. What is one element of culture shared between the whites and blacks in the story?
7. Which characters have an altered fate as a result of the Pearl Harbor attack?
8. How are real events used in the story? How does a real events change the course of the story?
9. Describe the interactions between Moe and Cassie in Chapter 8.
10. Does Statler deserve being attacked by Moe? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character to analyze. Describe the character. How does this character show depth? How do this character's actions and dialogue define them? What do you think this character's role is in the story? Would the story suffer or progress if this character was left out?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jeremy's last scene with Stacey significant? What most likely happens to Jeremy after Stacey forgives him? How do you know? What is the state of Jeremy and Stacey's relationship at the end of the story? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Cassie compares herself to Cinderella when she is in Memphis. Why does she do this? How is her life similar to Cinderella's? What traits does she share with a fairy tale character? In what ways is she different?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)