|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Clarence seek by joining the Army?
2. Which word best describes Jeremy's father?
3. Which word best describes Jeremy's father?
4. Which character confronts Sissy?
5. Near what holiday does the reverend die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stacey's truck represent?
2. What is the author's purpose in the reverend's death?
3. Describe one character who searches for respect and how they do so.
4. Describe a theme from Chapter 3 and what makes it a theme.
5. How is dialect used in the story?
6. What is Statler's goal?
7. What choices does the group of friends seem to have?
8. Describe the dinner conversation at the Logan home in Chapter 2.
9. How does the rest of the group react to Clarence joining the military?
10. Describe the story's historical perspective.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Cassie's attraction to Solomon. Why are they attracted to each other? What lessons do they teach other? What similarities exist between them? How are they different? What foreshadowing is present in their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in the story seem to be caught between two different worlds. Choose two characters and explain what worlds they are trapped between. Are they victims? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How are real events used to portray the setting and time period? What real events are portrayed? How are these events significant to the book's plot? What is the purpose?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)