|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the compromise that allowed Alex into the factory?
2. Why did Ronny volunteer Hamper and himself for the tailgate buildup job?
3. To what did Hamper compare Dave's styled hair?
4. How was Paul injured on the Rivet Line?
5. Why did Hamper sign the transfer paper to move to Pontiac?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Epilogue, Hamper shows the conflict between his mindset as a shop-rat and his time outside the factory in therapy. How did he show this and which attitude was stronger in his mind?
2. What was one of Hamper's favorite ways to pass time at work? How is this an interesting facet of his character?
3. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
4. What did Hamper think when Janice came to work on the Rivet Line? How was his reaction different from the men around him and how might this be surprising?
5. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
6. During and after his first panic attack, what did Hamper realize about himself?
7. How did Hamper stumble onto writing? What does this say about him as a writer?
8. Describe Dave Steel.
9. According to Hamper, why does the reading public not want to read about the working man? Is this a fair assessment?
10. Why were Moore and Hamper summoned to appear in court? How does this scene demonstrate Hamper's chosen place in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did unemployment have on Flint? What happened when much of the population was unemployed and why? What do you think the mood of the town was?
Essay Topic 2
What makes a good autobiography? Does Hamper's book fulfill those requirements? What are the pros and cons of a fictionalized life compared to an autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Gino Donlan? Why did Hamper like him and why was he different from many other people in his same position? To answer this, you should compare him to other supervisors in the plant.
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)