|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul took over Janice's job on the Rivet Line; where had he worked before?
2. Why was it difficult to get a visitor's pass for Alex, the reporter from The Wall Street Journal?
3. What activity did Hamper want to do with Roger Smith, the company president?
4. What was the goal of rivet hockey?
5. If a person had to wait in the chairs along the edges of the unemployment office, what did Hamper recommend that he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hamper's fellow factory workers respond to the article in the Wall Street Journal? Given the tone of this part of the story, where did Hamper actually get his happiness?
2. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
3. What did Hamper think when Janice came to work on the Rivet Line? How was his reaction different from the men around him and how might this be surprising?
4. By the time Janice moved to a different area of the factory, how had she changed? How is this different from what might be expected of a woman working that job?
5. What arrangement did Paul and Hamper scheme up at work? How did Hamper justify this, even to the point of making it appear right?
6. In the Epilogue, Hamper shows the conflict between his mindset as a shop-rat and his time outside the factory in therapy. How did he show this and which attitude was stronger in his mind?
7. Describe Dave Steel.
8. How did the men on the Rivet Line deal with the supervisor sent in to replace Gino? How was this a sign that they are powerful?
9. How did Hamper stumble onto writing? What does this say about him as a writer?
10. What was one of Hamper's favorite ways to pass time at work? How is this an interesting facet of his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Hamper involved in writing throughout the course of his life? How did his attitude toward it change?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
Essay Topic 3
When did Hamper's job as a riveter because an identity as the Rivethead? How did he live out this identity? What impact did it have for his future?
This section contains 1,897 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)