|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gino moved from his position as supervisor on the Rivet Line?
2. What was Dave's attitude toward humanity?
3. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
4. As Hamper discovered late one morning, approximately how many employees did GM plan to lay off?
5. What two different personalities did Hank exhibit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike Moore want to do his last night in Flint before he moved to San Francisco? How is this oddly fitting?
2. Why did General Motors become concerned with the quality of their vehicles? Given Hamper's tone while telling this story, what was his response?
3. How did Hamper's fellow factory workers respond to the article in the Wall Street Journal? Given the tone of this part of the story, where did Hamper actually get his happiness?
4. According to Hamper, why does the reading public not want to read about the working man? Is this a fair assessment?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 5, how did Hamper portray the employees of the Michigan Employment Security Commission? Is this a fair picture?
6. Describe Dave Steel.
7. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
8. What kind of place was Mark's Lounge? How was this place exactly what Hamper needed?
9. What kind of supervisor was Gino? How did Hamper respond to his leadership?
10. What kind of relationship did Gino have with his men? Why did this lead to his eventual transfer away from the Rivet Line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Hamper always remember the man who came late for the GM work call, the first time he worked at the factory (pg 32)? How might his thoughts about the incident have changed as he moved in and out of GM?
Essay Topic 2
What effect did unemployment have on Flint? What happened when much of the population was unemployed and why? What do you think the mood of the town was?
Essay Topic 3
What is the effect of Hamper's family tree as the reader moves through the book? Why would he give such detail about his extended family work history?
This section contains 1,801 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)