|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hamper's problem with his job on the axle line?
2. To what does Hamper compare his factory job?
3. At the beginning of the Epilogue, what sport was Hamper playing?
4. What was Hamper and Jerry's scheme for getting extra hours (pg 149)?
5. What was the compromise that allowed Alex into the factory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dave Steel.
2. What difficulty did Hamper run into as he tried to get a visitor's pass for Alex Kotlowitz, the reporter from the Wall Street Journal? How does this difficulty illustrate the vast difference between the factory worker and the corporate man, even within the same company?
3. How did Hamper stumble onto writing? What does this say about him as a writer?
4. How did the men on the Rivet Line deal with the supervisor sent in to replace Gino? How was this a sign that they are powerful?
5. What kind of relationship did Gino have with his men? Why did this lead to his eventual transfer away from the Rivet Line?
6. What was one of Hamper's favorite ways to pass time at work? How is this an interesting facet of his character?
7. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
8. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
9. What arrangement did Paul and Hamper scheme up at work? How did Hamper justify this, even to the point of making it appear right?
10. What was the purpose of Hamper's food matching game (pgs 78-79)? What effect does the game have to the writing of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamper often uses short sentences comprised of a couple nouns and no verbs. What is the effect of these sentences to the reader? Do they propel or slow the flow of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
Essay Topic 3
There is very little, if any, symbolism in the book Rivethead. What is the effect of a literal story? How does this method fit the subject matter?
This section contains 1,798 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)