|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aggravated Hamper about his friendship with Janice?
2. Why was the Good Times Lounge lawsuit dropped?
3. At the beginning of the Epilogue, what sport was Hamper playing?
4. What did Hamper remember about his interview for the Mother Jones cover story?
5. What distracted Hamper most from the breakdowns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of Hamper's favorite ways to pass time at work? How is this an interesting facet of his character?
2. Hamper describes Paul Schobel's work techniques through a series of natural metaphors (pg 189). Why is this different from what might be expected? How is it humorous?
3. During and after his first panic attack, what did Hamper realize about himself?
4. What kind of place was Mark's Lounge? How was this place exactly what Hamper needed?
5. What was Hamper's opinion of the Flint Voice when he first read it? What expectations does this create in the reader's mind?
6. According to Hamper, why does the reading public not want to read about the working man? Is this a fair assessment?
7. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
8. What was the purpose of Hamper's food matching game (pgs 78-79)? What effect does the game have to the writing of this scene?
9. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
10. What conversation did Hamper and his grandfather have during the family reunion? How does this fittingly illustrate the difference in their generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance in Hamper's descriptions of his parents? He never says "Mom" or "Dad," only "my mother" or "my father." What unusual formality does this lend to his story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Hamper recounts the behaviors and antics of several of his coworkers. What makes these stories funny? How does Hamper choose words and phrases to emphasize the humor of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)