|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper want to wear the Howie costume head?
2. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
3. What was the compromise that allowed Alex into the factory?
4. How was Paul injured on the Rivet Line?
5. Why was Moore fired from Mother Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
2. What was Hamper's reaction to the news that Louise Mandrell had ordered a GM Suburban? How does this fit what the reader already knows about Hamper's personality?
3. Why were Moore and Hamper summoned to appear in court? How does this scene demonstrate Hamper's chosen place in the world?
4. How did Hamper stumble onto writing? What does this say about him as a writer?
5. How did the men on the Rivet Line deal with the supervisor sent in to replace Gino? How was this a sign that they are powerful?
6. In the Epilogue, Hamper shows the conflict between his mindset as a shop-rat and his time outside the factory in therapy. How did he show this and which attitude was stronger in his mind?
7. Hamper describes Paul Schobel's work techniques through a series of natural metaphors (pg 189). Why is this different from what might be expected? How is it humorous?
8. What was Hamper's opinion of the Flint Voice when he first read it? What expectations does this create in the reader's mind?
9. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
10. What kind of supervisor was Gino? How did Hamper respond to his leadership?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Hamper recounts the behaviors and antics of several of his coworkers. What makes these stories funny? How does Hamper choose words and phrases to emphasize the humor of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
As seen in several examples throughout the book, how did General Motors treat their employees? How did Hamper's stories shed an honest light on the company?
Essay Topic 3
What makes a good autobiography? Does Hamper's book fulfill those requirements? What are the pros and cons of a fictionalized life compared to an autobiography?
This section contains 1,834 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)