|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
2. What did Hamper think was Dan-O's most amusing prank?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
4. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
5. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
2. How was Hamper's father an anomaly among fathers? Even at a young age, what was Hamper's opinion of him? How might this affect his own development in the future?
3. How did poetry temporarily draw Hamper out of his slide toward the factory? How might this have paved the way for more writing in the future?
4. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
5. What system did Dale and Hamper rig up at work? How did this again change Hamper's attitude toward his job?
6. What stories does Hamper tell about Dan-O? What do these stories add to the reader's impression of the factory?
7. What promises did the Plant Manager make during the factory meeting? How did Hamper's retelling of the speech change its tone?
8. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
9. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
10. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did unemployment have on Flint? What happened when much of the population was unemployed and why? What do you think the mood of the town was?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hamper's writing career begin? What was the progression?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
This section contains 1,782 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)