|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
2. What job did Hamper get after he quit painting?
3. What music did Hamper and his coworkers listen to at work?
4. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
5. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hamper's father an anomaly among fathers? Even at a young age, what was Hamper's opinion of him? How might this affect his own development in the future?
2. How did poetry temporarily draw Hamper out of his slide toward the factory? How might this have paved the way for more writing in the future?
3. How is Hamper's portrayal of his mother pathetic at times? Is it a fair character description?
4. How does Hamper describe the Cab Shop the first time he goes there? What about the description is the most informative about the scene?
5. What pattern emerged in junior-high that led Hamper to consider the life of a shop-rat? How did he begin to identify with his family who had worked in the factory?
6. What is Hamper's first exposure to the true culture of the Cab Shop? How did this dramatically change his attitude toward work?
7. When Hamper tells the story of people who disagree with the shop-rats' drinking, he writes much of the story in capital letters. What literary effect does this visual change have on the story?
8. At the end of Chapter 1, what did Hamper reveal about his hopes for the future? What insight did he show about the past?
9. What do Hamper's stories about high school revolve around? How does this show that he was giving in to the nuns' perception of him that began in junior high?
10. To what does Hamper attribute his success at the beginning of high school? How does this fit into his plans for his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hamper's writing career begin? What was the progression?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
Essay Topic 3
What makes a good autobiography? Does Hamper's book fulfill those requirements? What are the pros and cons of a fictionalized life compared to an autobiography?
This section contains 1,767 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)