|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper never beat his dad up when he was being lectured?
2. How long did Hamper work before being laid off for the first time?
3. What year did Hamper begin working at GM?
4. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
5. At the end of Chapter Four, where was Hamper writing the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the GM assembly line begin to look like an attractive option to Hamper? How did this demonstrate a change in Hamper's thinking?
2. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
3. What stories does Hamper tell about Dan-O? What do these stories add to the reader's impression of the factory?
4. How is Hamper's portrayal of his mother pathetic at times? Is it a fair character description?
5. Hamper said that Same-O was quite likely the only genius he ever met at the General Motors factory (pg 66). Why did he say this?
6. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
7. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
8. What system did Dale and Hamper rig up at work? How did this again change Hamper's attitude toward his job?
9. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
10. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is very little, if any, symbolism in the book Rivethead. What is the effect of a literal story? How does this method fit the subject matter?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Gino Donlan? Why did Hamper like him and why was he different from many other people in his same position? To answer this, you should compare him to other supervisors in the plant.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance in Hamper's descriptions of his parents? He never says "Mom" or "Dad," only "my mother" or "my father." What unusual formality does this lend to his story?
This section contains 1,754 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)