|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
2. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
3. What did Hamper hate more than anything?
4. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
5. What did Franklin write on napkins and bits of paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
2. What did Hamper say about his younger siblings? How did this give the reader another glimpse of family life?
3. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
4. Hamper ends Chapter 3 with the sentence, "The money was right, even if we weren't" (pg 43). What does this mean?
5. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
6. How is Hamper's portrayal of his mother pathetic at times? Is it a fair character description?
7. How did poetry temporarily draw Hamper out of his slide toward the factory? How might this have paved the way for more writing in the future?
8. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
9. What pattern emerged in junior-high that led Hamper to consider the life of a shop-rat? How did he begin to identify with his family who had worked in the factory?
10. How did Hamper justify his drinking at work? What was his opinion about the people who disapproved of factory workers drinking at work, and is this opinion fair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamper often uses short sentences comprised of a couple nouns and no verbs. What is the effect of these sentences to the reader? Do they propel or slow the flow of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of Hamper's family tree as the reader moves through the book? Why would he give such detail about his extended family work history?
Essay Topic 3
What effect did unemployment have on Flint? What happened when much of the population was unemployed and why? What do you think the mood of the town was?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)