|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
2. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
3. What motivated Hamper to make the honor roll during his freshmen year of high school?
4. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
5. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories does Hamper tell about Dan-O? What do these stories add to the reader's impression of the factory?
2. How did poetry temporarily draw Hamper out of his slide toward the factory? How might this have paved the way for more writing in the future?
3. What did Hamper say about his younger siblings? How did this give the reader another glimpse of family life?
4. What do Hamper's stories about high school revolve around? How does this show that he was giving in to the nuns' perception of him that began in junior high?
5. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
6. What kind of a person was Franklin? How was his personality different than expected? How did he act as a sort of prototype for Hamper's own life?
7. What promises did the Plant Manager make during the factory meeting? How did Hamper's retelling of the speech change its tone?
8. How does Hamper describe the Cab Shop the first time he goes there? What about the description is the most informative about the scene?
9. What is Hamper's first exposure to the true culture of the Cab Shop? How did this dramatically change his attitude toward work?
10. What system did Dale and Hamper rig up at work? How did this again change Hamper's attitude toward his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance in Hamper's descriptions of his parents? He never says "Mom" or "Dad," only "my mother" or "my father." What unusual formality does this lend to his story?
Essay Topic 2
What effect did unemployment have on Flint? What happened when much of the population was unemployed and why? What do you think the mood of the town was?
Essay Topic 3
There is very little, if any, symbolism in the book Rivethead. What is the effect of a literal story? How does this method fit the subject matter?
This section contains 1,786 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)