|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
2. At the end of Chapter Four, where was Hamper writing the book?
3. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
4. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
5. Why did Hamper grow up in a neighborhood of houses that all look alike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What religious background did Hamper have during his childhood? How did religion shape his move into adulthood?
2. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
3. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
4. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
5. How does Hamper describe the Cab Shop the first time he goes there? What about the description is the most informative about the scene?
6. Hamper's father, though not a model of determination or reliability, often berated his son because of his poor grades. How did his cursing set the tone of their conversations about school?
7. At the end of Chapter 1, what did Hamper reveal about his hopes for the future? What insight did he show about the past?
8. How did Hamper justify his drinking at work? What was his opinion about the people who disapproved of factory workers drinking at work, and is this opinion fair?
9. What stories does Hamper tell about Dan-O? What do these stories add to the reader's impression of the factory?
10. When Hamper tells the story of people who disagree with the shop-rats' drinking, he writes much of the story in capital letters. What literary effect does this visual change have on the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Hamper always remember the man who came late for the GM work call, the first time he worked at the factory (pg 32)? How might his thoughts about the incident have changed as he moved in and out of GM?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Hamper recounts the behaviors and antics of several of his coworkers. What makes these stories funny? How does Hamper choose words and phrases to emphasize the humor of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
There is very little, if any, symbolism in the book Rivethead. What is the effect of a literal story? How does this method fit the subject matter?
This section contains 1,865 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)