|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
2. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
3. What was Hamper's first impression of the crew of men he was called in with the first day?
4. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Four, when Hamper and Bob-A-Lou went to the "State of the Factory" address, what were they given?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hamper describe the Cab Shop the first time he goes there? What about the description is the most informative about the scene?
2. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
3. Hamper's father, though not a model of determination or reliability, often berated his son because of his poor grades. How did his cursing set the tone of their conversations about school?
4. What pattern emerged in junior-high that led Hamper to consider the life of a shop-rat? How did he begin to identify with his family who had worked in the factory?
5. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
6. What was Hamper's reaction to the news that Louise Mandrell had ordered a GM Suburban? How does this fit what the reader already knows about Hamper's personality?
7. At the beginning of Chapter 5, how did Hamper portray the employees of the Michigan Employment Security Commission? Is this a fair picture?
8. To what does Hamper attribute his success at the beginning of high school? How does this fit into his plans for his life?
9. What was Hamper's opinion of the Flint Voice when he first read it? What expectations does this create in the reader's mind?
10. How did Hamper's fellow factory workers respond to the article in the Wall Street Journal? Given the tone of this part of the story, where did Hamper actually get his happiness?
Essay Topic 1
How many women were involved in Hamper's life and what roles did they play? As seen by his relationships with Joanie and Janice, what were his attitudes toward women?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hamper's writing career begin? What was the progression?
Essay Topic 3
As seen in several examples throughout the book, how did General Motors treat their employees? How did Hamper's stories shed an honest light on the company?
This section contains 2,286 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)