|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
2. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
3. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
5. How did Hamper's maternal grandfather live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hamper's portrayal of his mother pathetic at times? Is it a fair character description?
2. How did Hamper's stories about life after high school reveal the time period in which they were written? What clues did he give by telling how much things cost?
3. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
4. When Hamper tells the story of people who disagree with the shop-rats' drinking, he writes much of the story in capital letters. What literary effect does this visual change have on the story?
5. How did poetry temporarily draw Hamper out of his slide toward the factory? How might this have paved the way for more writing in the future?
6. When did the GM assembly line begin to look like an attractive option to Hamper? How did this demonstrate a change in Hamper's thinking?
7. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
8. How was Hamper's father an anomaly among fathers? Even at a young age, what was Hamper's opinion of him? How might this affect his own development in the future?
9. Who or what was Hamper's greatest enemy at work? How did he use his new attitude about work to combat the enemy?
10. What religious background did Hamper have during his childhood? How did religion shape his move into adulthood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Roy's crackup prefigure Hamper's own mental breakdown? What role did Hamper play on Roy's story, and how did Roy's compare to his own?
Essay Topic 2
What makes a good autobiography? Does Hamper's book fulfill those requirements? What are the pros and cons of a fictionalized life compared to an autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
When did Hamper's job as a riveter because an identity as the Rivethead? How did he live out this identity? What impact did it have for his future?
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)