|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
2. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
3. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
4. Why did Hamper make the honor roll his sophomore year of high school?
5. Why, primarily, did GM management not crack down on the employees' drinking during work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
2. Hamper's father, though not a model of determination or reliability, often berated his son because of his poor grades. How did his cursing set the tone of their conversations about school?
3. At the end of Chapter 1, what did Hamper reveal about his hopes for the future? What insight did he show about the past?
4. What did Hamper say about his younger siblings? How did this give the reader another glimpse of family life?
5. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
6. What promises did the Plant Manager make during the factory meeting? How did Hamper's retelling of the speech change its tone?
7. How was Hamper's father an anomaly among fathers? Even at a young age, what was Hamper's opinion of him? How might this affect his own development in the future?
8. What system did Dale and Hamper rig up at work? How did this again change Hamper's attitude toward his job?
9. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
10. What kind of a person was Franklin? How was his personality different than expected? How did he act as a sort of prototype for Hamper's own life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"My old man abhorred the truth. It was like some horrible, foreign diction that ripped at his core" (pg 4). What truth is Hamper referring to? As demonstrated by his own life, what was his reaction to the same truth?
Essay Topic 2
How many women were involved in Hamper's life and what roles did they play? As seen by his relationships with Joanie and Janice, what were his attitudes toward women?
Essay Topic 3
What role did the time clock play in Hamper's life? How did it become his worst enemy?
This section contains 1,805 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)