|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hamper call his "real attraction to David Steel" (pg 98)?
(a) Dave was always cracking jokes.
(b) Both men loved classic rock.
(c) Both men felt they were destined to be shoprats.
(d) Dave was more cynical and gloomy than he was.
2. Why did Hamper not stay with Mother Jones when Moore was fired?
(a) He was not being paid enough money.
(b) He was tired of cranking out articles.
(c) He felt a great loyalty to Moore.
(d) He did not trust the new editor.
3. What incentive did management offer if the assembly line kept the quality high?
(a) A new Ford truck.
(b) A personal drinking glass.
(c) An extra day of vacation.
(d) A gift card to the local grocery store.
4. Why was Hamper familiar with Michael Moore?
(a) Moore was always causing political disturbances.
(b) They had discovered at a family reunion that they were second cousins.
(c) They had gone to high school together.
(d) Moore had worked at GM for eight years.
5. When did Hamper's first breakdown occur?
(a) December 1986.
(b) July 1986.
(c) April 1992.
(d) August 1983.
Short Answer Questions
1. While meeting the producer from 60 Minutes, why was Hamper nervous?
2. Why did Hamper sign the transfer paper to move to Pontiac?
3. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
4. To what did Hamper compare Dave's styled hair?
5. When did Hamper experience his last breakdown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one of Hamper's favorite ways to pass time at work? How is this an interesting facet of his character?
2. Hamper said that working on the Rivet Line was like being paid to flunk high school the rest of your life (pgs 185,188). How might this be true? Why is Hamper content with this lifestyle?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 5, how did Hamper portray the employees of the Michigan Employment Security Commission? Is this a fair picture?
4. Describe Dave Steel.
5. What was Hamper's reaction to the news that Louise Mandrell had ordered a GM Suburban? How does this fit what the reader already knows about Hamper's personality?
6. What conversation did Hamper and his grandfather have during the family reunion? How does this fittingly illustrate the difference in their generations?
7. How did Hamper's fellow factory workers respond to the article in the Wall Street Journal? Given the tone of this part of the story, where did Hamper actually get his happiness?
8. By the time Janice moved to a different area of the factory, how had she changed? How is this different from what might be expected of a woman working that job?
9. How did the men on the Rivet Line deal with the supervisor sent in to replace Gino? How was this a sign that they are powerful?
10. How did Hamper stumble onto writing? What does this say about him as a writer?
This section contains 1,882 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)