|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hamper's dad yell at him for his bad grades?
(a) He cared about achieving more and looking better than the neighbors.
(b) He wanted his son to avoid the life of a factory worker.
(c) He wanted his wife to be proud of all their kids.
(d) Education was important to him.
2. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(b) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
(c) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
(d) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
3. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(b) He did not have good job references.
(c) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
4. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work hard and move into management.
(b) Work just enough to keep his job.
(c) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(d) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
5. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(a) Yelled at the supervisor.
(b) Left in silence.
(d) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hamper, why did the nuns not care that he was a poor student?
2. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
3. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
4. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
5. How much money did Hamper make painting apartments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
2. During and after his first panic attack, what did Hamper realize about himself?
3. To what does Hamper attribute his success at the beginning of high school? How does this fit into his plans for his life?
4. What new vehicle was the factory hired to build? How was this, written in Hamper's account of life, a sign of the times?
5. Hamper's father, though not a model of determination or reliability, often berated his son because of his poor grades. How did his cursing set the tone of their conversations about school?
6. What did Mike Moore want to do his last night in Flint before he moved to San Francisco? How is this oddly fitting?
7. What kind of place was Mark's Lounge? How was this place exactly what Hamper needed?
8. What kind of relationship did Gino have with his men? Why did this lead to his eventual transfer away from the Rivet Line?
9. What did Hamper think when Janice came to work on the Rivet Line? How was his reaction different from the men around him and how might this be surprising?
10. Who did Bob-A-Lou have a crush on? What does this reveal about his character and how was he different from most of the other factory workers?
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)