|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Denny and Hamper listen to during their one elusively magical lunch break (pg 58)?
(a) Lynyrd Skynyrd.
(b) Sister Edward Irene.
(c) The Eagles.
(d) Lesley Gore.
2. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(a) Yelled at the supervisor.
(b) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
(c) Left in silence.
3. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
(a) They would feed his siblings and make love in the living room.
(b) They would ignore his siblings and make love in the living room.
(c) They would feed his siblings and do homework.
(d) They would feed his siblings and drop acid.
4. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
(a) Because his dad always gave them an allowance too.
(b) Because his dad loved to entertain kids.
(c) Because his dad told good stories.
(d) Because their dads were sober and hard-working.
5. How long did Hamper work before being laid off for the first time?
(a) Two years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
2. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
3. During the pre-work physical, what did Hamper do against his better judgment?
4. Oftentimes, when was a woman placed on the assembly line?
5. How did the assembly-line workers originally run their radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
2. Who or what was Hamper's greatest enemy at work? How did he use his new attitude about work to combat the enemy?
3. What system did Dale and Hamper rig up at work? How did this again change Hamper's attitude toward his job?
4. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
5. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
6. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
7. What promises did the Plant Manager make during the factory meeting? How did Hamper's retelling of the speech change its tone?
8. What is Hamper's first exposure to the true culture of the Cab Shop? How did this dramatically change his attitude toward work?
9. At the end of Chapter 1, what did Hamper reveal about his hopes for the future? What insight did he show about the past?
10. Why is Hamper's description of Flint, Michigan, at the beginning of Chapter 2, a powerful one?
This section contains 1,915 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)