|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hamper's maternal grandfather live?
(a) He was late for work and constantly drunk.
(b) He was punctual for work and barely drank.
(c) He had trouble holding down a job.
(d) He was punctual to work and drunk all weekend.
2. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
(a) She had no siblings.
(b) Her siblings were well-behaved.
(c) Her mother cooked great food.
(d) Her father was friendly and fair.
3. What machine did Hamper operate in the Cab Shop?
(a) A sealer.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A mig-welder.
(d) A spot-welder.
4. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
5. What car part did Hamper's father install at the factory?
(a) The wheel rivets.
(b) The bumper.
(c) The windshield.
(d) The dash wires.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the factory, when was the most popular time to drink?
2. How did management generally run the factory?
3. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
4. How was Hamper's new high school significantly different from his old one?
5. Why was Hamper raised as a Catholic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hamper say about his younger siblings? How did this give the reader another glimpse of family life?
2. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
3. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
4. How did Hamper justify his drinking at work? What was his opinion about the people who disapproved of factory workers drinking at work, and is this opinion fair?
5. What do Hamper's stories about high school revolve around? How does this show that he was giving in to the nuns' perception of him that began in junior high?
6. What religious background did Hamper have during his childhood? How did religion shape his move into adulthood?
7. How does Hamper describe the Cab Shop the first time he goes there? What about the description is the most informative about the scene?
8. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
9. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
10. When did the GM assembly line begin to look like an attractive option to Hamper? How did this demonstrate a change in Hamper's thinking?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)