|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(b) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(c) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
(d) They loved each other.
2. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
(a) Airline pilot.
(b) Construction worker.
(c) Factory worker.
(d) Ambulance driver.
3. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He had sworn at his history teacher.
(b) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
(c) He was caught trying to skip class.
(d) He refused to attend the daily mass.
4. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
(a) He thought they were hypocrites.
(b) He was hurt because what they said was true.
(c) He laughed and ignored them.
(d) He was quick to defend himself.
5. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(b) He did not have good job references.
(c) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
2. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
3. How much money did Hamper make painting apartments?
4. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hamper tells the story of people who disagree with the shop-rats' drinking, he writes much of the story in capital letters. What literary effect does this visual change have on the story?
2. What stories does Hamper tell about Dan-O? What do these stories add to the reader's impression of the factory?
3. How is Hamper's portrayal of his mother pathetic at times? Is it a fair character description?
4. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
5. Who or what was Hamper's greatest enemy at work? How did he use his new attitude about work to combat the enemy?
6. "I'm thinking that rock stars, even dead ones, don't come cheap" (pg xix). In the context of the Prologue, what does this quote mean?
7. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
8. What did Hamper say about his younger siblings? How did this give the reader another glimpse of family life?
9. What religious background did Hamper have during his childhood? How did religion shape his move into adulthood?
10. What is Hamper's first exposure to the true culture of the Cab Shop? How did this dramatically change his attitude toward work?
This section contains 1,704 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)