|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
2. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(b) Move up into management.
(c) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(d) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
3. What motivated Hamper to make the honor roll during his freshmen year of high school?
(a) His dream of becoming an ambulance driver.
(b) An attraction to girls.
(c) A desire to get out of Flint.
(d) A desire not to disappoint his mother.
4. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
(b) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(c) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
(d) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
5. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
(a) It was as hot as the equator.
(b) It was impossible to escape from the place.
(c) There were lots of hanging ropes and cables.
(d) There were lots of bugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jack take a sledgehammer to the cigarette machine?
2. Why did Roy smoke pot during his lunch breaks?
3. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
4. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
5. What did Roy eventually do to his pet mouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hamper ends Chapter 3 with the sentence, "The money was right, even if we weren't" (pg 43). What does this mean?
2. What story does Hamper tell involving Lesley Gore's music? How does this story show that Hamper, if only for an hour and twelve minutes, transcended the shop-rat mindset?
3. Who were Lightnin' and Same-O? What did their lives say about Hamper's future?
4. What role did Hamper's mother play in his life?
5. How did Hamper's stories about life after high school reveal the time period in which they were written? What clues did he give by telling how much things cost?
6. What kind of person was Joanie? Use Hamper's references to her to create a character description.
7. What is Hamper's first exposure to the true culture of the Cab Shop? How did this dramatically change his attitude toward work?
8. At the end of Chapter 1, what did Hamper reveal about his hopes for the future? What insight did he show about the past?
9. How did Hamper's marriage to Joanie end? Given his tone in the writing, what do you think his attitude was during this time?
10. What religious background did Hamper have during his childhood? How did religion shape his move into adulthood?
This section contains 1,854 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)