|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hamper proud to build a suburban for the celebrity Louise Mandrell?
(a) He had never known who bought the vehicles he built.
(b) He hoped to meet her one day.
(c) He wanted to make her suburban special.
(d) He adored her music.
2. Paul took over Janice's job on the Rivet Line; where had he worked before?
(a) The foundry.
(b) The body shop.
(d) The tailgate line.
3. What happened as the Rivet Line began to build army trucks?
(a) The trucks took twice as long to build as the regular suburbans.
(b) The trucks took less time to build than the suburbans did.
(c) The men learned very slowly how to build the trucks.
(d) They were constantly missing pieces.
4. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
(a) A half-naked girl.
(b) The date he began working at GM in 1976.
(c) His wife's name in blue ink.
(d) A rodent with the word "shop-rat" above it.
5. Why was Hamper familiar with Michael Moore?
(a) They had gone to high school together.
(b) Moore had worked at GM for eight years.
(c) They had discovered at a family reunion that they were second cousins.
(d) Moore was always causing political disturbances.
6. What did Howie do when he began touring the factory again?
(a) Bounded around to check the quality of people's work.
(b) Walked slowly and did not interact with the employees.
(c) Inspired confidence like he had done before.
(d) Became the butt of everyone's jokes.
7. What was Hamper and Jerry's scheme for getting extra hours (pg 149)?
(a) They'd take turns punching each other back into the clock while the other one took a longer lunch.
(b) They'd clean for fifteen minutes and get paid for two hours.
(c) They'd take a double lunch break.
(d) They'd volunteer to come early but show up at the last minute.
8. How did Hamper prepare for his interview for the Mother Jones cover story?
(a) Reviewed the articles he had written in the past year.
(b) Ate a big dinner and slept eight hours.
(c) Got a haircut and shave at a barbershop.
(d) Stayed up all night and got drunk.
9. Why did Polson, another shop-rat, become angry at Hamper?
(a) Polson could not stand Hamper's pranks at work.
(b) Hamper had written an angry article about the Rivet Line.
(c) Hamper had written a disparaging article about deer hunting.
(d) Hamper was trying to get a manager position over Polson.
10. While visiting the factory, what did Moore really want to do?
(a) Talk to all Hamper's coworkers.
(b) Hit a couple rivets.
(c) Talk to Howie Makem.
(d) Drink a beer with the guys.
11. What did Hamper do during his vacation?
(a) Promoted his cover story for Mother Jones.
(b) Went to San Francisco to visit Moore.
(c) Slept in and drank beer.
(d) Went to Chicago because he'd never been there before.
12. As he drove home during his breakdown, what did Hamper think he saw?
(a) His car's soul.
(b) Cows driving cars.
(c) Insects and frogs.
(d) The Grand Canyon.
13. Why was Hamper given a $2,700 check?
(a) Bonus for restarting his job at GM.
(b) Disability payment because he had injured his back at work.
(c) Bonus from a bill Jimmy Carter had put through.
(d) Incentive to come back to work at GM, since he was already trained.
14. According to Hamper in Chapter 10, why did GM not allow the NBC film crew into the factory?
(a) GM believed any creativity came from a flawed mind.
(b) GM had strict publicity rules.
(c) GM did not trust anything Hamper wanted to do.
(d) Hamper had already used his favors to get The Wall Street Journal writer in.
15. While meeting the producer from 60 Minutes, why was Hamper nervous?
(a) There was a lot of light and plants.
(b) A lot of people wanted his autograph.
(c) The producer was an anxious, jittery man.
(d) He was afraid he would say the wrong thing.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the Epilogue, what sport was Hamper playing?
2. Why does Hamper want to avoid his grandfather at the family reunion?
3. Why did Ronny volunteer Hamper and himself for the tailgate buildup job?
4. Why was Jackson afraid of Hamper?
5. What happened when Hamper wanted to get out of his move to Pontiac
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)