|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the primary reason that Henry Jackson, the supervisor, hated Dave?
(a) Dave was not afraid to stand up to him.
(b) They had been competitive with each other since high school.
(c) Dave wanted his job.
(d) Dave was more intelligent than Henry.
2. Why did Hamper take a long time learning his job on the Rivet Line?
(a) His coworker didn't know how to train him very well.
(b) He was hoping to be transferred somewhere else.
(c) It was a difficult job.
(d) He was lazy and did not want to learn it.
3. Who was the first person to call Hamper after The Wall Street Journal article was printed?
(a) A guy from high school he had never liked.
(b) A Flint television station.
(c) His father.
(d) A book agent.
4. What was the compromise that allowed Alex into the factory?
(a) A corporate assistant had to be present whenever he interviewed a member of management.
(b) He could stay near the Rivet Line, where Hamper worked, but nowhere else.
(c) He could be in the factory for two hours.
(d) He could only interview five people.
5. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
(a) Hamper asked Dave why he stood up to the supervisor.
(b) Over Hamper's article that rock music was dead.
(c) Hamper invited Dave for a drink.
(d) They worked next to each other on the assembly line.
6. How much time passed between Hamper's first breakdown and his second?
(a) Two days.
(b) A week.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Five days.
7. At the beginning of the Epilogue, what sport was Hamper playing?
(a) Miniature golf.
8. As Hamper begins Chapter Five, what does he think is the worst part of unemployment?
(a) Less money.
(b) His mother hassling him to get a job.
(c) No job security.
(d) The unemployment line.
9. As he drove home during his breakdown, what did Hamper think he saw?
(a) The Grand Canyon.
(b) His car's soul.
(c) Cows driving cars.
(d) Insects and frogs.
10. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
(a) A rodent with the word "shop-rat" above it.
(b) The date he began working at GM in 1976.
(c) A half-naked girl.
(d) His wife's name in blue ink.
11. What aggravated Hamper about his friendship with Janice?
(a) She acted too differently from the male employees.
(b) She wanted to hide their friendship from her husband.
(c) Their coworkers assumed they were sleeping together.
(d) She insisted that she could do everything a man could.
12. What two different personalities did Hank exhibit?
(a) Pervert and saint.
(b) Hard worker and slacker.
(c) Drunkard and teetotaler.
(d) Quiet employee and bossy supervisor.
13. What happened to the man who tried to kill his coworker?
(a) He was charged with attempted murder but not convicted.
(b) He was written up.
(c) He was suspended for two weeks.
(d) He was fired immediately.
14. When Hamper had to go into corporate offices to request Alex's visitor pass, why was he nervous?
(a) The buildings were too fancy.
(b) The offices felt like tombs.
(c) He was never sure how to act.
(d) He thought the businessmen would look down on him.
15. Why did Hamper not want to write about being a shop-rat, in an article for the Flint Voice?
(a) He thought it would be too much work.
(b) He did not want his coworkers to be offended.
(c) He thought the topic was boring.
(d) He wanted to pretend work was better than it actually was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hamper find most irritating about the message board?
2. What was Hamper's favorite way to pass time at work?
3. When Hamper is contacted by The Wall Street Journal, what does his boss Gino call the paper?
4. Why did Hamper want to wear the Howie costume head?
5. Paul took over Janice's job on the Rivet Line; where had he worked before?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)