|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first person to call Hamper after The Wall Street Journal article was printed?
(a) A guy from high school he had never liked.
(b) A Flint television station.
(c) His father.
(d) A book agent.
2. Approximately how long was Hamper unemployed before being called back to work?
(a) A year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Six months.
3. To what does Hamper compare his factory job?
(a) Living the mental equivalent of a frog's life.
(b) Living the life of tedium mixed with drunkenness.
(c) Getting paid to flunk high school.
(d) Getting paid to make future rust buckets.
4. Why did Hamper cringe at the idea of Bob-A-Lou in love with the cafeteria cashier?
(a) Bob-A-Lou was too jaded for the sweet cashier.
(b) He thought Bob-A-Lou could do better than her.
(c) He was hoping to set Bob-A-Lou up with his cousin.
(d) The cashier was slutty and Bob-A-Lou was a hopeless romantic.
5. How much time passed between Hamper's first breakdown and his second?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) A week.
(d) Eight hours.
6. What was Dave's attitude toward humanity?
(a) He ignored people.
(b) He disliked everyone, often including Hamper.
(c) He was sociable and outgoing.
(d) He liked people only if they benefited him directly.
7. When was Hamper asked for an autograph by an ambitious husband?
(a) When he was leaving the factory for the last time.
(b) When he was hitting rivets during his last shif.
(c) As he was driving to his mental health group.
(d) As he was getting into his car to leave the factory.
8. What aggravated Hamper about his friendship with Janice?
(a) Their coworkers assumed they were sleeping together.
(b) She acted too differently from the male employees.
(c) She wanted to hide their friendship from her husband.
(d) She insisted that she could do everything a man could.
9. What victory did Hamper enjoy, though the Olympic gold medal wasn't real?
(a) He was the fastest worker on the Rivet Line.
(b) He had beaten a personal record for one truck.
(c) The clock hand moved a couple more minutes.
(d) He was working ahead so that he could take a break.
10. Why did Polson, another shop-rat, become angry at Hamper?
(a) Hamper was trying to get a manager position over Polson.
(b) Hamper had written an angry article about the Rivet Line.
(c) Hamper had written a disparaging article about deer hunting.
(d) Polson could not stand Hamper's pranks at work.
11. As Hamper begins Chapter Five, what does he think is the worst part of unemployment?
(a) His mother hassling him to get a job.
(b) No job security.
(c) Less money.
(d) The unemployment line.
12. What was Hamper's problem with his job on the axle line?
(a) He thought he should not work first shift.
(b) He could not figure out the progression.
(c) He was too short.
(d) He was not strong enough.
13. Why did Hamper hate the new supervisor, Calvin Moza?
(a) Moza could not control any of the men.
(b) Moza condemned everything he had been doing the week before.
(c) Moza was cruel and hard headed.
(d) Moza was not afraid to write out penalties.
14. What was the supervisor's reaction when Hamper and Paul doubled up their jobs?
(a) He didn't care as long as the work was getting done.
(b) He just didn't want to know where they went.
(c) He told them to stop doubling up or he'd move one of them off the Rivet Line.
(d) He did not know they left.
15. Why did Hamper not want to write about being a shop-rat, in an article for the Flint Voice?
(a) He did not want his coworkers to be offended.
(b) He thought the topic was boring.
(c) He thought it would be too much work.
(d) He wanted to pretend work was better than it actually was.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jackson afraid of Hamper?
2. What was the primary reason that Henry Jackson, the supervisor, hated Dave?
3. According to Hamper in Chapter 10, why did GM not allow the NBC film crew into the factory?
4. What fear did Dr. Kilaru diagnose Hamper with?
5. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)