|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 10, why did Moore not want to move to San Francisco?
(a) He loved Flint.
(b) He was hesitant about the career move.
(c) He hated change.
(d) He hated California.
2. Who did Bob-A-Lou marry?
(a) A woman in the Philippines.
(b) Hamper's cousin.
(c) The cafeteria cashier.
(d) A woman who worked in the Finishing Line at GM.
3. What was the supervisor's reaction when Hamper and Paul doubled up their jobs?
(a) He did not know they left.
(b) He just didn't want to know where they went.
(c) He told them to stop doubling up or he'd move one of them off the Rivet Line.
(d) He didn't care as long as the work was getting done.
4. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
(a) Hamper asked Dave why he stood up to the supervisor.
(b) Hamper invited Dave for a drink.
(c) They worked next to each other on the assembly line.
(d) Over Hamper's article that rock music was dead.
5. How much time passed between Hamper's first breakdown and his second?
(a) A week.
(b) Eight hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
6. Why does Hamper want to avoid his grandfather at the family reunion?
(a) His grandfather never worked as a shoprat so he can't understand Hamper's life.
(b) His grandfather thinks he needs to get another job.
(c) His grandfather would rail him about unemployment benefits.
(d) His grandfather thinks he's his son rather than his grandson.
7. Why did Hamper begin writing?
(a) He was unemployed again and bored.
(b) He was hoping to move out of the factory into publishing.
(c) He wanted to tell his story.
(d) His sister thought he would have a lot of success as a writer.
8. To what did Hamper compare Dave's styled hair?
(a) A defective suburban.
(b) An old woman's nightmare.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) An exotic bird.
9. Why did Hamper think that Moore's car would be destroyed at the GM factory?
(a) White collar professionals were not treated kindly at the factory.
(b) Moore drove a Chevy.
(c) The factory workers were eager for a fight.
(d) Moore drove a Honda.
10. Why did Hamper cringe at the idea of Bob-A-Lou in love with the cafeteria cashier?
(a) He was hoping to set Bob-A-Lou up with his cousin.
(b) Bob-A-Lou was too jaded for the sweet cashier.
(c) He thought Bob-A-Lou could do better than her.
(d) The cashier was slutty and Bob-A-Lou was a hopeless romantic.
11. In pretending that he's competing in the Olympics, who are his opponents?
12. Why was Gino moved from his position as supervisor on the Rivet Line?
(a) He was not really doing his job anymore.
(b) He came to work drunk quite often.
(c) He had become too friendly with the workers.
(d) His men were turning out poor quality work.
13. When did Hamper's first breakdown occur?
(a) April 1992.
(b) July 1986.
(c) August 1983.
(d) December 1986.
14. At the beginning of Chapter Six, as Hamper explains, what do the rednecks on the Rivet Line collect?
(a) Sick days.
(b) Beer caps.
(c) Broken rivet heads.
(d) Banana stickers.
15. If a person had to wait in the chairs along the edges of the unemployment office, what did Hamper recommend that he do?
(a) Put a stop on his mail delivery.
(b) Call his wife to say he'd be home the following Tuesday.
(c) Come back another day.
(d) Cause a scene so he'd be put at the front of the line.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Hamper compare his factory job?
2. What did Hamper remember about his interview for the Mother Jones cover story?
3. What was Hamper's advice for working thirty years in the factory?
4. What was Dave's attitude toward humanity?
5. What fear did Dr. Kilaru diagnose Hamper with?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)