|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tattoo did Doug, the steering gear man, have on his arm?
(a) A half-naked girl.
(b) The date he began working at GM in 1976.
(c) A rodent with the word "shop-rat" above it.
(d) His wife's name in blue ink.
2. What was Hamper's favorite way to pass time at work?
(a) Pretend his job was an Olympic event.
(b) Play pranks on the men around him.
(c) Chain-smoke Chestertons and get drunk.
(d) Laugh at Hank's obvious personality swings.
3. Why was Moore fired from Mother Jones?
(a) He refused to curb his sharp tongue.
(b) He constantly clashed with the managing editor.
(c) He was in Flint more than in San Francisco.
(d) He brought poor writers into the magazine.
4. As he drove home during his breakdown, what did Hamper think he saw?
(a) Insects and frogs.
(b) His car's soul.
(c) Cows driving cars.
(d) The Grand Canyon.
5. Why did Hamper begin writing?
(a) He wanted to tell his story.
(b) He was hoping to move out of the factory into publishing.
(c) He was unemployed again and bored.
(d) His sister thought he would have a lot of success as a writer.
6. Approximately how long was Hamper unemployed before being called back to work?
(a) A year.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine months.
7. Why was Hamper given a $2,700 check?
(a) Disability payment because he had injured his back at work.
(b) Bonus for restarting his job at GM.
(c) Bonus from a bill Jimmy Carter had put through.
(d) Incentive to come back to work at GM, since he was already trained.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 10, why did Moore not want to move to San Francisco?
(a) He loved Flint.
(b) He hated California.
(c) He hated change.
(d) He was hesitant about the career move.
9. What nearby bar did Hamper and his coworkers often go to after work?
(a) Nick's Pub.
(b) Mark's Lounge.
(c) Jerry's Bar.
(d) Andy's Tavern.
10. In general terms, how did Hamper feel as he drove away from GM for the last time?
11. What was the supervisor's reaction when Hamper and Paul doubled up their jobs?
(a) He told them to stop doubling up or he'd move one of them off the Rivet Line.
(b) He didn't care as long as the work was getting done.
(c) He just didn't want to know where they went.
(d) He did not know they left.
12. What was the goal of rivet hockey?
(a) To hit a coworker's shins or ankles.
(b) To kick a rivet into a cardboard box.
(c) To land a rivet on the rafters.
(d) To kick the rivet back and forth as long as possible.
13. Why was it difficult to get a visitor's pass for Alex, the reporter from The Wall Street Journal?
(a) Every department said their hands were tied.
(b) Hamper's supervisor didn't want to give approval for the visit.
(c) The request took two weeks to process.
(d) No one knew where Hamper should go to request it.
14. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
(a) They worked next to each other on the assembly line.
(b) Over Hamper's article that rock music was dead.
(c) Hamper asked Dave why he stood up to the supervisor.
(d) Hamper invited Dave for a drink.
15. Why did Polson, another shop-rat, become angry at Hamper?
(a) Hamper was trying to get a manager position over Polson.
(b) Hamper had written a disparaging article about deer hunting.
(c) Hamper had written an angry article about the Rivet Line.
(d) Polson could not stand Hamper's pranks at work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hamper and Jerry's scheme for getting extra hours (pg 149)?
2. Why did Hamper think that Moore's car would be destroyed at the GM factory?
3. What happened to the man who tried to kill his coworker?
4. How much time passed between Hamper's first breakdown and his second?
5. Who did Bob-A-Lou marry?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)