|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 10, why did Moore not want to move to San Francisco?
(a) He was hesitant about the career move.
(b) He hated California.
(c) He loved Flint.
(d) He hated change.
2. What was the goal of rivet hockey?
(a) To kick the rivet back and forth as long as possible.
(b) To kick a rivet into a cardboard box.
(c) To hit a coworker's shins or ankles.
(d) To land a rivet on the rafters.
3. Why did Hamper hate the new supervisor, Calvin Moza?
(a) Moza was cruel and hard headed.
(b) Moza could not control any of the men.
(c) Moza condemned everything he had been doing the week before.
(d) Moza was not afraid to write out penalties.
4. What happened when Hamper wanted to get out of his move to Pontiac
(a) The union representative said he would pull some strings so he could stay.
(b) He was fired immediately.
(c) GM would not let him out of a signed contract.
(d) He was told he'd have to see if his job would still remain in two years.
5. What aggravated Hamper about his friendship with Janice?
(a) She wanted to hide their friendship from her husband.
(b) She insisted that she could do everything a man could.
(c) She acted too differently from the male employees.
(d) Their coworkers assumed they were sleeping together.
6. Why was Jackson afraid of Hamper?
(a) He thought Hamper could instigate a rebellion among the workers.
(b) He thought Hamper would write about him in an article.
(c) Hamper had blackmail material involving Jackson's drug habit.
(d) He thought Hamper might beat him up some time.
7. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
(a) Over Hamper's article that rock music was dead.
(b) Hamper asked Dave why he stood up to the supervisor.
(c) Hamper invited Dave for a drink.
(d) They worked next to each other on the assembly line.
8. What did Howie do when he began touring the factory again?
(a) Bounded around to check the quality of people's work.
(b) Inspired confidence like he had done before.
(c) Became the butt of everyone's jokes.
(d) Walked slowly and did not interact with the employees.
9. Why was Hamper proud to build a suburban for the celebrity Louise Mandrell?
(a) He adored her music.
(b) He had never known who bought the vehicles he built.
(c) He hoped to meet her one day.
(d) He wanted to make her suburban special.
10. At the beginning of the Epilogue, what sport was Hamper playing?
(c) Miniature golf.
11. What was the plot line of the movie Dave and Hamper planned to film?
(a) The deaths of several supervisors.
(b) The history of the car assembly line.
(c) The factory as it would stand in one hundred years.
(d) A day in the life of a shop-rat.
12. What was the subject matter of Dave and Hamper's "shopera" (pg 195)
(a) Their lives outside the factory walls.
(b) Assembly line labor.
(c) The imagined lives of their supervisors.
(d) A shop-rat's life.
13. When Hamper had to go into corporate offices to request Alex's visitor pass, why was he nervous?
(a) He was never sure how to act.
(b) He thought the businessmen would look down on him.
(c) The offices felt like tombs.
(d) The buildings were too fancy.
14. What two different personalities did Hank exhibit?
(a) Pervert and saint.
(b) Drunkard and teetotaler.
(c) Quiet employee and bossy supervisor.
(d) Hard worker and slacker.
15. Why did Hamper not want to write about being a shop-rat, in an article for the Flint Voice?
(a) He thought the topic was boring.
(b) He thought it would be too much work.
(c) He wanted to pretend work was better than it actually was.
(d) He did not want his coworkers to be offended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ronny volunteer Hamper and himself for the tailgate buildup job?
2. After four months on the Rivet Line, how did Hamper feel?
3. While visiting the factory, what did Moore really want to do?
4. Why did Hamper change his mind about filming at Mark's Lounge?
5. Approximately how long was Hamper unemployed before being called back to work?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)