|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hamper find most irritating about the message board?
(a) It only told him uninteresting stuff he already knew.
(b) It flashed a shade of orange that he hated.
(c) It was directly in his line of vision.
(d) He could not read one message before it changed to the next.
2. What incentive did management offer if the assembly line kept the quality high?
(a) A gift card to the local grocery store.
(b) A personal drinking glass.
(c) An extra day of vacation.
(d) A new Ford truck.
3. In pretending that he's competing in the Olympics, who are his opponents?
4. What was the primary reason that Henry Jackson, the supervisor, hated Dave?
(a) Dave was not afraid to stand up to him.
(b) They had been competitive with each other since high school.
(c) Dave was more intelligent than Henry.
(d) Dave wanted his job.
5. How much money would Hamper make writing articles for Mother Jones?
(a) $100 per article.
(b) $4000 per year.
(c) $2 per word.
(d) $850 per article.
6. What did Hamper remember about his interview for the Mother Jones cover story?
(a) The cameramen laughed so hard that their cameras shook.
(b) The interviewer nearly fell out of his chair laughing.
(d) He told only one off-color joke.
7. What happened to the man who tried to kill his coworker?
(a) He was charged with attempted murder but not convicted.
(b) He was fired immediately.
(c) He was suspended for two weeks.
(d) He was written up.
8. What was the supervisor's reaction when Hamper and Paul doubled up their jobs?
(a) He just didn't want to know where they went.
(b) He didn't care as long as the work was getting done.
(c) He told them to stop doubling up or he'd move one of them off the Rivet Line.
(d) He did not know they left.
9. What happened when Hamper wanted to get out of his move to Pontiac
(a) He was fired immediately.
(b) GM would not let him out of a signed contract.
(c) The union representative said he would pull some strings so he could stay.
(d) He was told he'd have to see if his job would still remain in two years.
10. Why did Polson, another shop-rat, become angry at Hamper?
(a) Hamper had written a disparaging article about deer hunting.
(b) Hamper was trying to get a manager position over Polson.
(c) Polson could not stand Hamper's pranks at work.
(d) Hamper had written an angry article about the Rivet Line.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 10, why did Moore not want to move to San Francisco?
(a) He loved Flint.
(b) He was hesitant about the career move.
(c) He hated change.
(d) He hated California.
12. What did Howie do when he began touring the factory again?
(a) Inspired confidence like he had done before.
(b) Bounded around to check the quality of people's work.
(c) Walked slowly and did not interact with the employees.
(d) Became the butt of everyone's jokes.
13. What was Hamper and Jerry's scheme for getting extra hours (pg 149)?
(a) They'd take a double lunch break.
(b) They'd take turns punching each other back into the clock while the other one took a longer lunch.
(c) They'd volunteer to come early but show up at the last minute.
(d) They'd clean for fifteen minutes and get paid for two hours.
14. If a person had to wait in the chairs along the edges of the unemployment office, what did Hamper recommend that he do?
(a) Come back another day.
(b) Put a stop on his mail delivery.
(c) Cause a scene so he'd be put at the front of the line.
(d) Call his wife to say he'd be home the following Tuesday.
15. According to Hamper in Chapter 10, why did GM not allow the NBC film crew into the factory?
(a) Hamper had already used his favors to get The Wall Street Journal writer in.
(b) GM did not trust anything Hamper wanted to do.
(c) GM believed any creativity came from a flawed mind.
(d) GM had strict publicity rules.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Moore fired from Mother Jones?
2. Why was Gino moved from his position as supervisor on the Rivet Line?
3. When did Hamper experience his last breakdown?
4. When Hamper is contacted by The Wall Street Journal, what does his boss Gino call the paper?
5. Why does Hamper want to avoid his grandfather at the family reunion?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)