|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time passed between Hamper's first breakdown and his second?
(a) Five days.
(b) A week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Eight hours.
2. How much money would Hamper make writing articles for Mother Jones?
(a) $4000 per year.
(b) $100 per article.
(c) $850 per article.
(d) $2 per word.
3. When Hamper is contacted by The Wall Street Journal, what does his boss Gino call the paper?
(a) The Walleye Journal.
(b) The Water Journal.
(c) The Walling Journal.
(d) Harper's Bazaar.
4. Why did Ronny volunteer Hamper and himself for the tailgate buildup job?
(a) It was the only open job left.
(b) He wanted to work with Hamper.
(c) They'd have the ability to double-up the jobs.
(d) It was the easiest job in the Jungle.
5. While meeting the producer from 60 Minutes, why was Hamper nervous?
(a) He was afraid he would say the wrong thing.
(b) The producer was an anxious, jittery man.
(c) There was a lot of light and plants.
(d) A lot of people wanted his autograph.
6. Why did Hamper cringe at the idea of Bob-A-Lou in love with the cafeteria cashier?
(a) The cashier was slutty and Bob-A-Lou was a hopeless romantic.
(b) He was hoping to set Bob-A-Lou up with his cousin.
(c) Bob-A-Lou was too jaded for the sweet cashier.
(d) He thought Bob-A-Lou could do better than her.
7. What did Hamper do during his vacation?
(a) Went to San Francisco to visit Moore.
(b) Went to Chicago because he'd never been there before.
(c) Promoted his cover story for Mother Jones.
(d) Slept in and drank beer.
8. What was the rationale behind the "shopera" that Dave and Hamper composed?
(a) Shop-rats have artistic talents rather than mere job skills.
(b) They wanted to inspire the next generation of blue collar workers.
(c) Shop-rats, rather than rock stars, should sing about the tough life.
(d) They deserved to be heard as much as anyone else.
9. Who was the first person to call Hamper after The Wall Street Journal article was printed?
(a) His father.
(b) A guy from high school he had never liked.
(c) A book agent.
(d) A Flint television station.
10. Why does Hamper want to avoid his grandfather at the family reunion?
(a) His grandfather never worked as a shoprat so he can't understand Hamper's life.
(b) His grandfather thinks he's his son rather than his grandson.
(c) His grandfather would rail him about unemployment benefits.
(d) His grandfather thinks he needs to get another job.
11. What incentive did management offer if the assembly line kept the quality high?
(a) A personal drinking glass.
(b) A new Ford truck.
(c) An extra day of vacation.
(d) A gift card to the local grocery store.
12. Why did Hamper begin writing?
(a) He wanted to tell his story.
(b) He was unemployed again and bored.
(c) He was hoping to move out of the factory into publishing.
(d) His sister thought he would have a lot of success as a writer.
13. If a person had to wait in the chairs along the edges of the unemployment office, what did Hamper recommend that he do?
(a) Call his wife to say he'd be home the following Tuesday.
(b) Come back another day.
(c) Cause a scene so he'd be put at the front of the line.
(d) Put a stop on his mail delivery.
14. What happened as the Rivet Line began to build army trucks?
(a) The trucks took less time to build than the suburbans did.
(b) The men learned very slowly how to build the trucks.
(c) The trucks took twice as long to build as the regular suburbans.
(d) They were constantly missing pieces.
15. As Hamper begins Chapter Five, what does he think is the worst part of unemployment?
(a) No job security.
(b) Less money.
(c) His mother hassling him to get a job.
(d) The unemployment line.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Gino moved from his position as supervisor on the Rivet Line?
2. Paul took over Janice's job on the Rivet Line; where had he worked before?
3. Why was Jackson afraid of Hamper?
4. When was Hamper asked for an autograph by an ambitious husband?
5. What was the primary reason that Henry Jackson, the supervisor, hated Dave?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)