|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jackson afraid of Hamper?
(a) He thought Hamper could instigate a rebellion among the workers.
(b) He thought Hamper would write about him in an article.
(c) He thought Hamper might beat him up some time.
(d) Hamper had blackmail material involving Jackson's drug habit.
2. How did Hamper and Dave Steel initially bond?
(a) Hamper invited Dave for a drink.
(b) Hamper asked Dave why he stood up to the supervisor.
(c) They worked next to each other on the assembly line.
(d) Over Hamper's article that rock music was dead.
3. What was Hamper's favorite way to pass time at work?
(a) Chain-smoke Chestertons and get drunk.
(b) Pretend his job was an Olympic event.
(c) Laugh at Hank's obvious personality swings.
(d) Play pranks on the men around him.
4. What was the compromise that allowed Alex into the factory?
(a) He could only interview five people.
(b) He could be in the factory for two hours.
(c) A corporate assistant had to be present whenever he interviewed a member of management.
(d) He could stay near the Rivet Line, where Hamper worked, but nowhere else.
5. When Hamper is contacted by The Wall Street Journal, what does his boss Gino call the paper?
(a) The Walleye Journal.
(b) Harper's Bazaar.
(c) The Walling Journal.
(d) The Water Journal.
6. What did Hamper do during his vacation?
(a) Went to San Francisco to visit Moore.
(b) Promoted his cover story for Mother Jones.
(c) Went to Chicago because he'd never been there before.
(d) Slept in and drank beer.
7. Why did Polson, another shop-rat, become angry at Hamper?
(a) Hamper was trying to get a manager position over Polson.
(b) Hamper had written an angry article about the Rivet Line.
(c) Hamper had written a disparaging article about deer hunting.
(d) Polson could not stand Hamper's pranks at work.
8. What activity did Hamper want to do with Roger Smith, the company president?
(c) Drink beer.
9. What did Hamper call his "real attraction to David Steel" (pg 98)?
(a) Dave was more cynical and gloomy than he was.
(b) Both men felt they were destined to be shoprats.
(c) Dave was always cracking jokes.
(d) Both men loved classic rock.
10. What was the primary reason that Henry Jackson, the supervisor, hated Dave?
(a) They had been competitive with each other since high school.
(b) Dave was more intelligent than Henry.
(c) Dave was not afraid to stand up to him.
(d) Dave wanted his job.
11. While meeting the producer from 60 Minutes, why was Hamper nervous?
(a) He was afraid he would say the wrong thing.
(b) A lot of people wanted his autograph.
(c) The producer was an anxious, jittery man.
(d) There was a lot of light and plants.
12. Why did Hamper want to wear the Howie costume head?
(a) He wanted a Halloween costume.
(b) He wanted to prove that Howie was not real.
(c) He wanted to prove he could break into any locked room.
(d) He wanted to be the quantity control mascot.
13. What was the plot line of the movie Dave and Hamper planned to film?
(a) A day in the life of a shop-rat.
(b) The factory as it would stand in one hundred years.
(c) The deaths of several supervisors.
(d) The history of the car assembly line.
14. How did Hamper's supervisor feel when he needed to leave work early because of his breakdown?
(a) Hamper was too stressed to notice the supervisor's response.
(b) The supervisor was highly concerned.
(c) The supervisor was angry at being shorthanded.
(d) The supervisor said he didn't believe Hamper.
15. Why was Moore fired from Mother Jones?
(a) He constantly clashed with the managing editor.
(b) He refused to curb his sharp tongue.
(c) He brought poor writers into the magazine.
(d) He was in Flint more than in San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two different personalities did Hank exhibit?
2. Approximately how long was Hamper unemployed before being called back to work?
3. To what did Hamper compare Dave's styled hair?
4. What was the rationale behind the "shopera" that Dave and Hamper composed?
5. Why did Hamper refuse to enroll in an outpatient mental health center?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)