|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Hamper begin working at GM?
2. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
(a) He thought they were hypocrites.
(b) He laughed and ignored them.
(c) He was hurt because what they said was true.
(d) He was quick to defend himself.
3. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) She wanted more children.
(b) She wanted a different job.
(c) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
(d) They were not going anywhere in life.
4. What music did Hamper and his coworkers listen to at work?
(a) Top 40's.
(c) Classic rock.
5. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Six hours.
6. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
(a) Eighteen months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year.
(d) One month.
7. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
(a) Her mother cooked great food.
(b) Her siblings were well-behaved.
(c) Her father was friendly and fair.
(d) She had no siblings.
8. How many siblings did Joanie have?
9. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
(b) He did not have good job references.
(c) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(d) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
10. What machine did Hamper operate in the Cab Shop?
(a) A sealer.
(b) A mig-welder.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A spot-welder.
11. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(b) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
(c) Move up into management.
(d) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
12. At work, what did Dan-O like to do?
(a) Drink beer.
(c) Play practical jokes.
13. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
14. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(b) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(c) They loved each other.
(d) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
15. While painting apartments, why did Hamper become friends with Glen?
(a) Their wives had been friends for several months.
(b) They were in identical situations.
(c) Glen lived in the building.
(d) Glen often stopped by to say hi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hamper think was Dan-O's most amusing prank?
2. What happened when Hamper was called in to see the guidance counselor at school?
3. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
4. Oftentimes, when was a woman placed on the assembly line?
5. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)