|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hamper's parents fight?
(a) His dad was frequently unfaithful to his mother.
(b) His mom was tired of working and raising kids.
(c) His dad drank a lot and became violent.
(d) His dad was frequently absent.
2. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(b) He did not have good job references.
(c) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
(d) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
3. What did Hamper hate more than anything?
(a) Having to work the swing shift.
(b) General Motors itself.
(c) The minute hand on the clock.
(d) Not getting paid enough.
4. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
(a) He wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth.
(b) Half the check went to pay his wife's expensive clothes.
(c) Most of it went to child support.
(d) Most of it went to pay for the college education he wasn't using.
5. How many siblings did Joanie have?
6. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
(a) Go to business school.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Go to seminary.
(d) Work at GM.
7. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The greenie.
(b) The ignorant one.
(c) The prophet.
(d) The naïve one.
8. During his sophomore year of high school, what did Hamper name his rather large collection of poems?
(a) "Thoughts of the Crocodile."
(b) "Under the Table."
(c) "Hammered After Four."
(d) "Intestines of a Balloon."
9. What was the most unusual thing about Bob-A-Lou?
(a) He never cursed.
(b) He wore decent clothes to work.
(c) He had been married five times.
(d) He never drank.
10. How did Hamper and Joanie overcome their initial shyness toward each other?
(a) By going to concerts.
(b) By failing history.
(c) By taking drugs.
(d) By spending time.
11. What did Hamper and Joanie name their baby daughter?
12. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
(a) They would feed his siblings and drop acid.
(b) They would ignore his siblings and make love in the living room.
(c) They would feed his siblings and make love in the living room.
(d) They would feed his siblings and do homework.
13. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
14. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
(b) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
(c) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
(d) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
15. How long did Hamper work before being laid off for the first time?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had Hamper imagined his father's work before he saw it?
2. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
3. How did management generally run the factory?
4. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
5. How much money did Hamper make painting apartments?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)