|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
(b) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
(c) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
(d) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
2. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(b) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(c) He did not have good job references.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
3. Why did Hamper make the honor roll his sophomore year of high school?
(a) His father was intimidating him into getting good grades.
(b) He was still motivated from his freshman year.
(c) He decided he never wanted to work in a factory.
(d) He had plenty of time to study while babysitting his younger siblings.
4. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
(a) Music and Math.
(b) Science and History.
(c) Religion and Science.
(d) Music and Gym.
5. What was the name of Hamper's first supervisor?
6. What did Franklin write on napkins and bits of paper?
(b) Bible verses.
(c) Magazine articles.
(d) Hate letters.
7. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
(a) Her mother cooked great food.
(b) Her father was friendly and fair.
(c) Her siblings were well-behaved.
(d) She had no siblings.
8. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
(a) Hitching-post Heaven.
(b) Greaseball Mecca.
(c) God's Factory.
(d) The Automotive Temple.
9. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
(a) His mom had better job skills than his dad did.
(b) His dad was frequently in jail.
(c) His mom preferred to work as stay home.
(d) His dad didn't hold down a job very long.
10. What racket did Louie have going at work?
(a) Secretly selling alcohol down the assembly line.
(b) Secretly selling cigarettes down the assembly line.
(c) Getting paid for forty hours when he worked thirty.
(d) Making rookies do all his work for him.
11. Why did absenteeism increase greatly on Fridays?
(a) The work shift was longer on Friday.
(b) Thursday was pay-day.
(c) The bosses were even crabbier because they did not want to be there.
(d) The work shift was shorter on Friday.
12. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He had sworn at his history teacher.
(b) He was caught trying to skip class.
(c) He refused to attend the daily mass.
(d) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
13. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
(a) Factory worker.
(b) Ambulance driver.
(c) Airline pilot.
(d) Construction worker.
14. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
(a) St. Michael High School.
(b) Luke Powers High School.
(c) St. Agnes High School.
(d) Holy Redeemer High School.
15. Why was Hamper reinstated as a student in the school?
(a) He promised not to break any more school rules until graduation.
(b) His mother pleaded for the school to take him back.
(c) He turned in a written apology.
(d) He promised to provide drugs to the principal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roy's plan for his job?
2. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
3. How many siblings did Joanie have?
4. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
5. What did Hamper and Joanie name their baby daughter?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)