|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Hamper reinstated as a student in the school?
(a) He promised to provide drugs to the principal.
(b) His mother pleaded for the school to take him back.
(c) He promised not to break any more school rules until graduation.
(d) He turned in a written apology.
2. When did Hamper's great-grandfather begin working in the car factory?
3. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
(a) Traffic cop.
(b) Horse rancher.
(c) Tax accountant.
(d) Pig farmer.
4. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
(b) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
(c) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
(d) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
5. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
(a) They would feed his siblings and do homework.
(b) They would ignore his siblings and make love in the living room.
(c) They would feed his siblings and make love in the living room.
(d) They would feed his siblings and drop acid.
6. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
(a) Holy Redeemer High School.
(b) St. Agnes High School.
(c) Luke Powers High School.
(d) St. Michael High School.
7. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(b) They loved each other.
(c) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
(d) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
8. Why did Hamper grow up in a neighborhood of houses that all look alike?
(a) The houses were built during a recession when buyers did not have much money.
(b) All Flint residential neighborhoods look the same.
(c) The neighborhood architect didn't have a good imagination.
(d) The neighborhood was built simply to house new factory employees.
9. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
10. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
(a) Most of it went to pay for the college education he wasn't using.
(b) Most of it went to child support.
(c) He wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth.
(d) Half the check went to pay his wife's expensive clothes.
11. Why did Hamper never beat his dad up when he was being lectured?
(a) His mom was always there to make sure they did not hit each other.
(b) He was too scared.
(c) He tried but his dad beat him up instead.
(d) He was often on acid and just laughed at his dad.
12. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
(a) Science and History.
(b) Music and Math.
(c) Religion and Science.
(d) Music and Gym.
13. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
(a) Six months.
(b) A year.
(c) Eighteen months.
(d) One month.
14. How did Hamper and Joanie overcome their initial shyness toward each other?
(a) By taking drugs.
(b) By going to concerts.
(c) By failing history.
(d) By spending time.
15. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
(a) His mom preferred to work as stay home.
(b) His dad was frequently in jail.
(c) His mom had better job skills than his dad did.
(d) His dad didn't hold down a job very long.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hamper's new high school significantly different from his old one?
2. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
3. What car part did Hamper's father install at the factory?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
5. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)