|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first stint at GM, what part of the cars did Hamper work on?
(c) Rear wheel wells.
(d) Dashboard interiors.
2. Why did the supervisors add another task to Hamper and Dale's job?
(a) They wanted to test the men's speed.
(b) They wanted to break up their system.
(c) They thought the men could handle another task.
(d) They wanted to make an example of the men.
3. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
4. How long was Hamper given to learn his job?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) Two day.
(d) One day.
5. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
(b) Work hard and move into management.
(c) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(d) Work just enough to keep his job.
6. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
(a) Music and Gym.
(b) Science and History.
(c) Music and Math.
(d) Religion and Science.
7. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
(b) They loved each other.
(c) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(d) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
8. Why, primarily, did GM management not crack down on the employees' drinking during work?
(a) Management did not realize the employees were drinking at work.
(b) It was too much work to police every employee.
(c) Management drank as much at work as the shop-rats did.
(d) As long as production continued, they didn't care.
9. At work, what did Dan-O like to do?
(a) Drink beer.
(c) Play practical jokes.
10. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) She wanted a different job.
(b) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
(c) They were not going anywhere in life.
(d) She wanted more children.
11. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
(a) He had an on-going feud with an African-American man at work.
(b) He was genuinely racist.
(c) He wanted to deflect his guilt onto someone else.
(d) He wanted to raise his children to be white supremacists.
12. What did Hamper and Joanie name their baby daughter?
13. How did Hamper's maternal grandfather live?
(a) He had trouble holding down a job.
(b) He was punctual to work and drunk all weekend.
(c) He was punctual for work and barely drank.
(d) He was late for work and constantly drunk.
14. What was Glen's dream job?
(a) Being a rock'n'roll legend.
(b) Owning his own restaurant.
(c) Working at the GM factory.
(d) Painting apartments.
15. Why was Hamper raised as a Catholic?
(a) So he would be guaranteed a place in heaven.
(b) So he could go to Catholic school and get a good education.
(c) His parents were devout Catholics.
(d) His mother was very traditional.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
2. What car part did Hamper's father install at the factory?
3. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
4. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
5. How had Hamper imagined his father's work before he saw it?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)