|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The greenie.
(b) The naïve one.
(c) The prophet.
(d) The ignorant one.
2. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
(a) Drank beer.
(b) Read magazines.
(c) Smoked marijuana.
(d) Fell asleep.
3. How much money did Hamper make painting apartments?
(a) Fifty dollars a day.
(b) One hundred dollars per apartment.
(c) Seven dollars an hour.
(d) Three dollars an hour.
4. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(b) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(c) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
(d) They loved each other.
5. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He was caught trying to skip class.
(b) He had sworn at his history teacher.
(c) He refused to attend the daily mass.
(d) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
6. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
(a) It was as hot as the equator.
(b) There were lots of hanging ropes and cables.
(c) It was impossible to escape from the place.
(d) There were lots of bugs.
7. What was Glen's dream job?
(a) Being a rock'n'roll legend.
(b) Painting apartments.
(c) Working at the GM factory.
(d) Owning his own restaurant.
8. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
9. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
(a) One month.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year.
10. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
(a) He wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth.
(b) Half the check went to pay his wife's expensive clothes.
(c) Most of it went to child support.
(d) Most of it went to pay for the college education he wasn't using.
11. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
(a) Punching out.
(b) Punching in.
(c) Keeping up to speed.
(d) Explaining your partner's absence to the supervisor.
12. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
13. What did Roy eventually do to his pet mouse?
(a) Stepped on it.
(b) Trapped it in the wheel well he was constructing.
(c) Incinerated it with the welder's torch.
(d) Set it free from the cardboard box.
14. What was the most significant thing that acid did for Hamper?
(a) Made him happy.
(b) Destroyed reality.
(c) Turned everything purple.
(d) Gave him a bad attitude.
15. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
(a) He got better grade.
(b) He could escape the monotony of life.
(c) Girls liked him.
(d) The teachers liked him better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper grow up in a neighborhood of houses that all look alike?
2. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
3. During the pre-work physical, what did Hamper do against his better judgment?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, when Hamper and Bob-A-Lou went to the "State of the Factory" address, what were they given?
5. What was Roy's plan for his job?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)