|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hamper and Joanie overcome their initial shyness toward each other?
(a) By spending time.
(b) By taking drugs.
(c) By going to concerts.
(d) By failing history.
2. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
3. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
(a) They would feed his siblings and do homework.
(b) They would feed his siblings and make love in the living room.
(c) They would ignore his siblings and make love in the living room.
(d) They would feed his siblings and drop acid.
4. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
5. How long was Hamper given to learn his job?
(a) Two day.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
6. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(b) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(c) They loved each other.
(d) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
7. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
(a) Horse rancher.
(b) Tax accountant.
(c) Traffic cop.
(d) Pig farmer.
8. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
(b) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
(c) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
(d) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
9. Why did Hamper make the honor roll his sophomore year of high school?
(a) His father was intimidating him into getting good grades.
(b) He had plenty of time to study while babysitting his younger siblings.
(c) He was still motivated from his freshman year.
(d) He decided he never wanted to work in a factory.
10. Why did Jack take a sledgehammer to the cigarette machine?
(a) He wanted to take his anger out on something.
(b) The machine had eaten his money.
(c) He was pretending the machine was the plant manager.
(d) He thought the broken machine was a GM conspiracy.
11. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
(a) He laughed and ignored them.
(b) He was quick to defend himself.
(c) He was hurt because what they said was true.
(d) He thought they were hypocrites.
12. What was Glen's dream job?
(a) Owning his own restaurant.
(b) Being a rock'n'roll legend.
(c) Painting apartments.
(d) Working at the GM factory.
13. At the end of Chapter Four, where was Hamper writing the book?
(a) In a drafty shed.
(b) In his kitchen.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In his girlfriend's living room.
14. What car part did Hamper's father install at the factory?
(a) The windshield.
(b) The bumper.
(c) The dash wires.
(d) The wheel rivets.
15. While painting apartments, why did Hamper become friends with Glen?
(a) Glen often stopped by to say hi.
(b) Their wives had been friends for several months.
(c) They were in identical situations.
(d) Glen lived in the building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hamper's first impression of the crew of men he was called in with the first day?
2. Why did Roy smoke pot during his lunch breaks?
3. What was Roy's plan for his job?
4. What racket did Louie have going at work?
5. How had Hamper imagined his father's work before he saw it?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)