|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings did Joanie have?
2. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(b) They loved each other.
(c) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
(d) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
3. According to Hamper, why did the nuns not care that he was a poor student?
(a) They cared less about the children of factory workers.
(b) They were too old to care about much.
(c) Their favorites were the obviously talented kids.
(d) They knew the school would produce many underachievers in exchange for a couple brilliant students.
4. Why did Roy smoke pot during his lunch breaks?
(a) He was addicted.
(b) To numb the monotony of his job.
(c) To stop caring about his life.
(d) Hamper gave it to him.
5. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Move up into management.
(b) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
(c) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(d) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
6. As told in Chapter Four, how much money did Hamper make while working at the factory?
(a) $12.82 an hour.
(b) $200 a shift.
(c) $15.33 an hour.
(d) $9.82 an hour.
7. How did the assembly-line workers originally run their radio?
(a) By plugging into a factory outlet.
(b) By tuning into the factory loudspeaker.
(c) With 9-volt batteries.
(d) With a car battery.
8. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
(a) Luke Powers High School.
(b) Holy Redeemer High School.
(c) St. Michael High School.
(d) St. Agnes High School.
9. How did Hamper's maternal grandfather live?
(a) He was punctual to work and drunk all weekend.
(b) He was punctual for work and barely drank.
(c) He was late for work and constantly drunk.
(d) He had trouble holding down a job.
10. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
(a) He wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth.
(b) Most of it went to pay for the college education he wasn't using.
(c) Half the check went to pay his wife's expensive clothes.
(d) Most of it went to child support.
11. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
12. During the pre-work physical, what did Hamper do against his better judgment?
(a) Lied about his medical history.
(b) Asked for the nurse's phone number.
(c) Pretended to be sick so he would have another week of freedom.
(d) Sold his urine to the man ahead of him in line.
13. At the factory, when was the most popular time to drink?
(a) During the lunch break.
(b) While standing at the assembly line.
(c) Any time the person was on the clock.
(d) Right before coming to work.
14. What did Hamper hate more than anything?
(a) General Motors itself.
(b) Not getting paid enough.
(c) Having to work the swing shift.
(d) The minute hand on the clock.
15. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(b) Left in silence.
(c) Yelled at the supervisor.
(d) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
2. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
3. At work, what did Dan-O like to do?
4. What was Roy's plan for his job?
5. What was Hamper's first impression of the crew of men he was called in with the first day?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)