|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the most unusual thing about Bob-A-Lou?
(a) He wore decent clothes to work.
(b) He never cursed.
(c) He had been married five times.
(d) He never drank.
2. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
(a) Punching out.
(b) Punching in.
(c) Keeping up to speed.
(d) Explaining your partner's absence to the supervisor.
3. When Hamper moved into his mother's basement, what did he think would save his marriage to Joanie?
(a) Earning lots of money at GM.
(b) Drinking less.
(c) Taking care of their daughter more.
(d) Being faithful to her.
4. How long was Hamper given to learn his job?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) Two day.
(d) Three days.
5. What was the most significant thing that acid did for Hamper?
(a) Destroyed reality.
(b) Gave him a bad attitude.
(c) Turned everything purple.
(d) Made him happy.
6. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) She wanted a different job.
(b) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
(c) They were not going anywhere in life.
(d) She wanted more children.
7. Why was Hamper reinstated as a student in the school?
(a) His mother pleaded for the school to take him back.
(b) He promised to provide drugs to the principal.
(c) He promised not to break any more school rules until graduation.
(d) He turned in a written apology.
8. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
(b) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
(c) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
(d) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
9. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
(a) His mom had better job skills than his dad did.
(b) His dad was frequently in jail.
(c) His dad didn't hold down a job very long.
(d) His mom preferred to work as stay home.
10. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
(b) He refused to attend the daily mass.
(c) He was caught trying to skip class.
(d) He had sworn at his history teacher.
11. At the factory, when was the most popular time to drink?
(a) Right before coming to work.
(b) During the lunch break.
(c) Any time the person was on the clock.
(d) While standing at the assembly line.
12. Why did the supervisors add another task to Hamper and Dale's job?
(a) They wanted to break up their system.
(b) They wanted to make an example of the men.
(c) They thought the men could handle another task.
(d) They wanted to test the men's speed.
13. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
14. At the end of Chapter Four, where was Hamper writing the book?
(a) In a drafty shed.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In his kitchen.
(d) In his girlfriend's living room.
15. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
(a) Fell asleep.
(b) Smoked marijuana.
(c) Drank beer.
(d) Read magazines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What racket did Louie have going at work?
2. What did Hamper and Joanie name their baby daughter?
3. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
4. Why did Hamper grow up in a neighborhood of houses that all look alike?
5. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)