|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
(a) Because their dads were sober and hard-working.
(b) Because his dad told good stories.
(c) Because his dad loved to entertain kids.
(d) Because his dad always gave them an allowance too.
2. What year did Hamper begin working at GM?
3. How many siblings did Joanie have?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, when Hamper and Bob-A-Lou went to the "State of the Factory" address, what were they given?
(a) Jelly doughnuts.
(b) Pretzels and cold soda.
(c) Certificates of appreciation.
(d) Chips and beer.
5. Where did Lightnin' sleep during every work shift?
(a) Leaning against the wall in the men's bathroom.
(b) Sitting in the stairwell by the locker room.
(c) Lying on a cafeteria bench.
(d) Lying in a box by the Finishing Line.
6. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
(a) He could escape the monotony of life.
(b) He got better grade.
(c) Girls liked him.
(d) The teachers liked him better.
7. What was the most significant thing that acid did for Hamper?
(a) Destroyed reality.
(b) Gave him a bad attitude.
(c) Made him happy.
(d) Turned everything purple.
8. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
(a) Go to business school.
(b) Go to seminary.
(c) Work at GM.
(d) Join the army.
9. According to Hamper's theory, why did the shop-rats listen to that kind of music?
(a) It's the music their fathers always listened to.
(b) It's redundant and predictable like their work.
(c) It's the only station their radio can pick up.
(d) It's the music they grew up with.
10. Why was Hamper raised as a Catholic?
(a) His mother was very traditional.
(b) His parents were devout Catholics.
(c) So he could go to Catholic school and get a good education.
(d) So he would be guaranteed a place in heaven.
11. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
(a) Ninety days.
(b) Six months.
(c) Thirty days.
(d) Seven days.
12. What happened one day when Hamper left journalism class on drugs?
(a) He hit a parked car.
(b) He drove the wrong car out of the parking lot.
(c) He could not figure out how to turn the car on.
(d) He hit a tuba player in the marching band.
13. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
(a) It was as hot as the equator.
(b) There were lots of hanging ropes and cables.
(c) It was impossible to escape from the place.
(d) There were lots of bugs.
14. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
(a) His mom preferred to work as stay home.
(b) His mom had better job skills than his dad did.
(c) His dad was frequently in jail.
(d) His dad didn't hold down a job very long.
15. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Eight hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
2. Why did Hamper never beat his dad up when he was being lectured?
3. What was the name of Hamper's first supervisor?
4. While painting apartments, why did Hamper become friends with Glen?
5. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)