|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(b) Work just enough to keep his job.
(c) Work hard and move into management.
(d) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
2. What happened one day when Hamper left journalism class on drugs?
(a) He hit a parked car.
(b) He could not figure out how to turn the car on.
(c) He hit a tuba player in the marching band.
(d) He drove the wrong car out of the parking lot.
3. How many siblings did Joanie have?
4. During the pre-work physical, what did Hamper do against his better judgment?
(a) Sold his urine to the man ahead of him in line.
(b) Lied about his medical history.
(c) Asked for the nurse's phone number.
(d) Pretended to be sick so he would have another week of freedom.
5. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
(a) Hamper wanted to escape his mother's home.
(b) They loved each other.
(c) Abortion and adoption were unheard-of in their religious circle.
(d) They were finally eighteen and able to make their own decisions.
6. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
(a) That he took the last can of beer with him.
(b) That he planned to be back before Christmas.
(c) That he was headed for Indiana.
(d) That he was somewhere in southern Florida with a bartender.
7. How was Hamper's new high school significantly different from his old one?
(a) Most of the kids were middle-class.
(b) Most of the kids were motivated to get good careers.
(c) Most of the kids were not religious.
(d) Most of the kids were not middle-class.
8. How did Hamper and Joanie overcome their initial shyness toward each other?
(a) By taking drugs.
(b) By failing history.
(c) By going to concerts.
(d) By spending time.
9. During his sophomore year of high school, what did Hamper name his rather large collection of poems?
(a) "Under the Table."
(b) "Intestines of a Balloon."
(c) "Hammered After Four."
(d) "Thoughts of the Crocodile."
10. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Move up into management.
(b) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(c) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(d) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
11. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
(a) Drank beer.
(b) Read magazines.
(c) Fell asleep.
(d) Smoked marijuana.
12. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
(a) Airline pilot.
(b) Construction worker.
(c) Factory worker.
(d) Ambulance driver.
13. Why, primarily, did GM management not crack down on the employees' drinking during work?
(a) Management drank as much at work as the shop-rats did.
(b) As long as production continued, they didn't care.
(c) It was too much work to police every employee.
(d) Management did not realize the employees were drinking at work.
14. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
(b) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
(c) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(d) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
15. Why was Hamper raised as a Catholic?
(a) His parents were devout Catholics.
(b) His mother was very traditional.
(c) So he would be guaranteed a place in heaven.
(d) So he could go to Catholic school and get a good education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the routine when Joanie visited Hamper's house?
2. When did GM schedule an applicant for a physical?
3. How long was Hamper given to learn his job?
4. Why did Hamper and Mike come to hate their fathers?
5. What racket did Louie have going at work?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)