|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
2. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
3. What happened when Hamper was called in to see the guidance counselor at school?
(a) The counselor could only recommend blue-collar jobs.
(b) Hamper hated all the job choices that the counselor presented.
(c) The counselor could not find a suitable job for him.
(d) Hamper was too stoned to go.
4. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Move up into management.
(b) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(c) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
(d) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
5. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
(a) Go to business school.
(b) Work at GM.
(c) Go to seminary.
(d) Join the army.
6. According to Hamper, why did the nuns not care that he was a poor student?
(a) They cared less about the children of factory workers.
(b) Their favorites were the obviously talented kids.
(c) They were too old to care about much.
(d) They knew the school would produce many underachievers in exchange for a couple brilliant students.
7. Why did Hamper's parents fight?
(a) His dad was frequently absent.
(b) His mom was tired of working and raising kids.
(c) His dad was frequently unfaithful to his mother.
(d) His dad drank a lot and became violent.
8. What did Franklin write on napkins and bits of paper?
(a) Hate letters.
(b) Magazine articles.
(d) Bible verses.
9. Why did Hamper make the honor roll his sophomore year of high school?
(a) He was still motivated from his freshman year.
(b) He decided he never wanted to work in a factory.
(c) He had plenty of time to study while babysitting his younger siblings.
(d) His father was intimidating him into getting good grades.
10. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ninety days.
11. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Eight hours.
12. Oftentimes, when was a woman placed on the assembly line?
(a) Whenever she wanted because there was no gender difference.
(b) When management had no one else to do the job.
(c) When the previous two workers had been seen doubling up their tasks.
(d) When the work was easy.
13. When did Hamper's great-grandfather begin working in the car factory?
14. When did GM schedule an applicant for a physical?
(a) When they planned to put him to work immediately.
(b) When the applicant's background check showed drug involvement.
(c) When the applicant didn't look healthy.
(d) When the application had been processed.
15. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
(a) Because his dad loved to entertain kids.
(b) Because his dad always gave them an allowance too.
(c) Because their dads were sober and hard-working.
(d) Because his dad told good stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roy's plan for his job?
2. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
3. How did management generally run the factory?
4. According to Hamper's theory, why did the shop-rats listen to that kind of music?
5. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)