|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Hamper's first impression of the crew of men he was called in with the first day?
(a) They were thrilled to be there for a job.
(b) They were lazy men.
(c) They were sluggish, unskilled men.
(d) They were high school drop-outs.
2. As told in Chapter Four, how much money did Hamper make while working at the factory?
(a) $12.82 an hour.
(b) $9.82 an hour.
(c) $200 a shift.
(d) $15.33 an hour.
3. How many siblings did Joanie have?
4. Why did absenteeism increase greatly on Fridays?
(a) The bosses were even crabbier because they did not want to be there.
(b) The work shift was shorter on Friday.
(c) Thursday was pay-day.
(d) The work shift was longer on Friday.
5. Why did Jack take a sledgehammer to the cigarette machine?
(a) He was pretending the machine was the plant manager.
(b) He wanted to take his anger out on something.
(c) The machine had eaten his money.
(d) He thought the broken machine was a GM conspiracy.
6. What did Hamper think was Dan-O's most amusing prank?
(a) The charging tarantula trap.
(b) The psychedelic porn kaleidoscope.
(c) The suburban shuffle.
(d) The crucified wallet.
7. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
(a) He wanted to raise his children to be white supremacists.
(b) He wanted to deflect his guilt onto someone else.
(c) He was genuinely racist.
(d) He had an on-going feud with an African-American man at work.
8. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
(a) Music and Math.
(b) Music and Gym.
(c) Religion and Science.
(d) Science and History.
9. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
10. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
(b) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(c) He did not have good job references.
(d) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
11. What was the most unusual thing about Bob-A-Lou?
(a) He wore decent clothes to work.
(b) He never cursed.
(c) He never drank.
(d) He had been married five times.
12. What music did Hamper and his coworkers listen to at work?
(c) Top 40's.
(d) Classic rock.
13. Why was Hamper raised as a Catholic?
(a) So he would be guaranteed a place in heaven.
(b) His mother was very traditional.
(c) So he could go to Catholic school and get a good education.
(d) His parents were devout Catholics.
14. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
(a) There were lots of hanging ropes and cables.
(b) It was impossible to escape from the place.
(c) It was as hot as the equator.
(d) There were lots of bugs.
15. Why did Hamper never beat his dad up when he was being lectured?
(a) He was often on acid and just laughed at his dad.
(b) He tried but his dad beat him up instead.
(c) His mom was always there to make sure they did not hit each other.
(d) He was too scared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
3. During his sophomore year of high school, what did Hamper name his rather large collection of poems?
4. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
5. What day was Hamper finally called in to work at the car factory?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)