|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hamper and Mike come to hate their fathers?
(a) Their fathers were stuck in a rut.
(b) Their fathers were drunkards.
(c) Their fathers were shop-rats.
(d) Their fathers were unreliable.
2. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work just enough to keep his job.
(b) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(c) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
(d) Work hard and move into management.
3. What car part did Hamper's father install at the factory?
(a) The bumper.
(b) The wheel rivets.
(c) The windshield.
(d) The dash wires.
4. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The greenie.
(b) The prophet.
(c) The naïve one.
(d) The ignorant one.
5. What happened one day when Hamper left journalism class on drugs?
(a) He hit a tuba player in the marching band.
(b) He could not figure out how to turn the car on.
(c) He drove the wrong car out of the parking lot.
(d) He hit a parked car.
6. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
(a) Ambulance driver.
(b) Airline pilot.
(c) Construction worker.
(d) Factory worker.
7. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He refused to attend the daily mass.
(b) He was caught trying to skip class.
(c) He had sworn at his history teacher.
(d) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
8. What job did Dale hold during the first part of his day?
(a) Horse rancher.
(b) Pig farmer.
(c) Tax accountant.
(d) Traffic cop.
9. How many siblings did Joanie have?
10. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
(b) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(c) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
(d) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
11. What happened when Hamper was called in to see the guidance counselor at school?
(a) Hamper was too stoned to go.
(b) Hamper hated all the job choices that the counselor presented.
(c) The counselor could only recommend blue-collar jobs.
(d) The counselor could not find a suitable job for him.
12. How had Hamper imagined his father's work before he saw it?
(a) The workplace was cleaner.
(b) Half the employees were women.
(c) His dad built each car from a kit.
(d) There weren't any loud machines.
13. At work, what did Dan-O like to do?
(b) Play practical jokes.
(d) Drink beer.
14. At the beginning of Chapter Four, when Hamper and Bob-A-Lou went to the "State of the Factory" address, what were they given?
(a) Pretzels and cold soda.
(b) Chips and beer.
(c) Jelly doughnuts.
(d) Certificates of appreciation.
15. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(b) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(c) He did not have good job references.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hamper's first impression of the crew of men he was called in with the first day?
2. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
3. According to Hamper's theory, why did the shop-rats listen to that kind of music?
4. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
5. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)