|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hamper's dad yell at him for his bad grades?
(a) He cared about achieving more and looking better than the neighbors.
(b) He wanted his son to avoid the life of a factory worker.
(c) He wanted his wife to be proud of all their kids.
(d) Education was important to him.
2. At the beginning of Chapter Four, when Hamper and Bob-A-Lou went to the "State of the Factory" address, what were they given?
(a) Pretzels and cold soda.
(b) Jelly doughnuts.
(c) Certificates of appreciation.
(d) Chips and beer.
3. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(a) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
(b) Left in silence.
(d) Yelled at the supervisor.
4. When did Hamper's great-grandfather begin working in the car factory?
5. What machine did Hamper operate in the Cab Shop?
(a) A spot-welder.
(b) A mig-welder.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A sealer.
6. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work hard and move into management.
(b) Work just enough to keep his job.
(c) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(d) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
7. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
(b) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(c) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(d) Move up into management.
8. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Eight hours.
9. When Hamper moved into his mother's basement, what did he think would save his marriage to Joanie?
(a) Taking care of their daughter more.
(b) Earning lots of money at GM.
(c) Drinking less.
(d) Being faithful to her.
10. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
(a) The teachers liked him better.
(b) He got better grade.
(c) Girls liked him.
(d) He could escape the monotony of life.
11. How was Hamper's new high school significantly different from his old one?
(a) Most of the kids were not religious.
(b) Most of the kids were motivated to get good careers.
(c) Most of the kids were middle-class.
(d) Most of the kids were not middle-class.
12. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
13. As told in Chapter Four, how much money did Hamper make while working at the factory?
(a) $15.33 an hour.
(b) $200 a shift.
(c) $9.82 an hour.
(d) $12.82 an hour.
14. Why did Roy smoke pot during his lunch breaks?
(a) To stop caring about his life.
(b) To numb the monotony of his job.
(c) Hamper gave it to him.
(d) He was addicted.
15. What job did Hamper get after he quit painting?
(d) No job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
2. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
3. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
4. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
5. How many siblings did Joanie have?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)