|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Roy smoke pot during his lunch breaks?
(a) To numb the monotony of his job.
(b) He was addicted.
(c) Hamper gave it to him.
(d) To stop caring about his life.
2. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
(b) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
(c) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
(d) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
3. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
(b) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(c) Work hard and move into management.
(d) Work just enough to keep his job.
4. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The naïve one.
(b) The prophet.
(c) The ignorant one.
(d) The greenie.
5. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
(a) That he was headed for Indiana.
(b) That he was somewhere in southern Florida with a bartender.
(c) That he took the last can of beer with him.
(d) That he planned to be back before Christmas.
6. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
(a) Most of it went to pay for the college education he wasn't using.
(b) He wasn't getting paid what he thought he was worth.
(c) Most of it went to child support.
(d) Half the check went to pay his wife's expensive clothes.
7. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(b) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(c) He did not have good job references.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
8. Why did Hamper never beat his dad up when he was being lectured?
(a) His mom was always there to make sure they did not hit each other.
(b) He tried but his dad beat him up instead.
(c) He was often on acid and just laughed at his dad.
(d) He was too scared.
9. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
(a) Not to work at GM or become a drunkard.
(b) To work at GM like his ancestors.
(c) To become a sensational radio personality.
(d) To drink and sleep with lots of girls.
10. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
(a) He was quick to defend himself.
(b) He laughed and ignored them.
(c) He thought they were hypocrites.
(d) He was hurt because what they said was true.
11. What was Hamper's opinion of coffee?
(a) Only one cup a day.
(b) Terrible stuff.
(c) Just as good as beer.
(d) Good but not strong enough.
12. Why, primarily, did GM management not crack down on the employees' drinking during work?
(a) Management did not realize the employees were drinking at work.
(b) Management drank as much at work as the shop-rats did.
(c) It was too much work to police every employee.
(d) As long as production continued, they didn't care.
13. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
14. What machine did Hamper operate in the Cab Shop?
(a) A mig-welder.
(b) A sealer.
(c) A spot-welder.
(d) A hammer.
15. What was the most significant thing that acid did for Hamper?
(a) Gave him a bad attitude.
(b) Made him happy.
(c) Destroyed reality.
(d) Turned everything purple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music did Hamper and his coworkers listen to at work?
2. How long was Hamper given to learn his job?
3. What did Roy eventually do to his pet mouse?
4. In the summer and fall of 1977, how many hours a day did Hamper work?
5. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)