|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hamper's dad yell at him for his bad grades?
(a) He cared about achieving more and looking better than the neighbors.
(b) Education was important to him.
(c) He wanted his son to avoid the life of a factory worker.
(d) He wanted his wife to be proud of all their kids.
2. What did Franklin write on napkins and bits of paper?
(b) Bible verses.
(c) Hate letters.
(d) Magazine articles.
3. What machine did Hamper operate in the Cab Shop?
(a) A spot-welder.
(b) A hammer.
(c) A sealer.
(d) A mig-welder.
4. While painting apartments, why did Hamper become friends with Glen?
(a) Glen often stopped by to say hi.
(b) Glen lived in the building.
(c) They were in identical situations.
(d) Their wives had been friends for several months.
5. Why did Hamper's dad often denounce African-Americans?
(a) He had an on-going feud with an African-American man at work.
(b) He was genuinely racist.
(c) He wanted to raise his children to be white supremacists.
(d) He wanted to deflect his guilt onto someone else.
6. What did Hamper do when people criticized him for drinking on the job?
(a) He was hurt because what they said was true.
(b) He thought they were hypocrites.
(c) He laughed and ignored them.
(d) He was quick to defend himself.
7. Why, primarily, did GM management not crack down on the employees' drinking during work?
(a) As long as production continued, they didn't care.
(b) Management drank as much at work as the shop-rats did.
(c) It was too much work to police every employee.
(d) Management did not realize the employees were drinking at work.
8. What happened one day when Hamper left journalism class on drugs?
(a) He drove the wrong car out of the parking lot.
(b) He could not figure out how to turn the car on.
(c) He hit a parked car.
(d) He hit a tuba player in the marching band.
9. During his first stint at GM, what part of the cars did Hamper work on?
(a) Dashboard interiors.
(b) Rear wheel wells.
10. What was Hamper's opinion of coffee?
(a) Just as good as beer.
(b) Terrible stuff.
(c) Only one cup a day.
(d) Good but not strong enough.
11. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
(a) St. Agnes High School.
(b) St. Michael High School.
(c) Luke Powers High School.
(d) Holy Redeemer High School.
12. What was Glen's dream job?
(a) Working at the GM factory.
(b) Being a rock'n'roll legend.
(c) Painting apartments.
(d) Owning his own restaurant.
13. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(b) Left in silence.
(c) Yelled at the supervisor.
(d) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
14. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
(a) Hitching-post Heaven.
(b) Greaseball Mecca.
(c) God's Factory.
(d) The Automotive Temple.
15. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) They were not going anywhere in life.
(b) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
(c) She wanted a different job.
(d) She wanted more children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
2. Why was Robert often angry when he got his check?
3. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
4. How did management generally run the factory?
5. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)