|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
2. What was Hamper's opinion of coffee?
(a) Terrible stuff.
(b) Good but not strong enough.
(c) Just as good as beer.
(d) Only one cup a day.
3. Why did Hamper make the honor roll his sophomore year of high school?
(a) His father was intimidating him into getting good grades.
(b) He decided he never wanted to work in a factory.
(c) He was still motivated from his freshman year.
(d) He had plenty of time to study while babysitting his younger siblings.
4. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
(b) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
(c) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(d) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
5. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The greenie.
(b) The naïve one.
(c) The prophet.
(d) The ignorant one.
6. During his first stint at GM, what part of the cars did Hamper work on?
(a) Rear wheel wells.
(b) Dashboard interiors.
7. What was the name of the new school that combined all local Catholic high schools?
(a) St. Agnes High School.
(b) Holy Redeemer High School.
(c) St. Michael High School.
(d) Luke Powers High School.
8. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Move up into management.
(b) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(c) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(d) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
9. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Ninety days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Thirty days.
10. Why did Hamper's parents fight?
(a) His dad drank a lot and became violent.
(b) His dad was frequently absent.
(c) His dad was frequently unfaithful to his mother.
(d) His mom was tired of working and raising kids.
11. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
(a) Hitching-post Heaven.
(b) The Automotive Temple.
(c) God's Factory.
(d) Greaseball Mecca.
12. What year did Hamper begin working at GM?
13. What job did Hamper get after he quit painting?
(c) No job.
14. According to Hamper, why did the nuns not care that he was a poor student?
(a) They knew the school would produce many underachievers in exchange for a couple brilliant students.
(b) They were too old to care about much.
(c) Their favorites were the obviously talented kids.
(d) They cared less about the children of factory workers.
15. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter Four, where was Hamper writing the book?
2. What did Hamper discover when he began to write poetry?
3. Why did Joanie and Hamper get married when she became pregnant?
4. How had Hamper imagined his father's work before he saw it?
5. As told in Chapter Four, how much money did Hamper make while working at the factory?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)