|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
(a) Religion and Science.
(b) Music and Math.
(c) Science and History.
(d) Music and Gym.
2. How did management generally run the factory?
(a) Every rule must be followed completely.
(b) Any employee who's a favorite can do whatever he wants.
(c) Follow the letter of the law but not necessarily the spirit.
(d) Hear no evil, see no evil.
3. Oftentimes, when was a woman placed on the assembly line?
(a) When the work was easy.
(b) Whenever she wanted because there was no gender difference.
(c) When management had no one else to do the job.
(d) When the previous two workers had been seen doubling up their tasks.
4. What did Hamper hate more than anything?
(a) General Motors itself.
(b) The minute hand on the clock.
(c) Having to work the swing shift.
(d) Not getting paid enough.
5. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
(a) That he took the last can of beer with him.
(b) That he planned to be back before Christmas.
(c) That he was headed for Indiana.
(d) That he was somewhere in southern Florida with a bartender.
6. What was the most unusual thing about Bob-A-Lou?
(a) He wore decent clothes to work.
(b) He had been married five times.
(c) He never cursed.
(d) He never drank.
7. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
(a) She had no siblings.
(b) Her siblings were well-behaved.
(c) Her mother cooked great food.
(d) Her father was friendly and fair.
8. Why did the supervisors add another task to Hamper and Dale's job?
(a) They wanted to make an example of the men.
(b) They wanted to test the men's speed.
(c) They thought the men could handle another task.
(d) They wanted to break up their system.
9. At the beginning of Chapter Two, what religiously-loaded term did Hamper use to describe Flint?
(a) Hitching-post Heaven.
(b) Greaseball Mecca.
(c) The Automotive Temple.
(d) God's Factory.
10. At work, what did Dan-O like to do?
(c) Play practical jokes.
(d) Drink beer.
11. During his first stint at GM, what part of the cars did Hamper work on?
(a) Dashboard interiors.
(d) Rear wheel wells.
12. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) She wanted more children.
(b) She wanted a different job.
(c) They were not going anywhere in life.
(d) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
13. What happened when Hamper was called in to see the guidance counselor at school?
(a) Hamper hated all the job choices that the counselor presented.
(b) The counselor could not find a suitable job for him.
(c) The counselor could only recommend blue-collar jobs.
(d) Hamper was too stoned to go.
14. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
15. As Hamper began high school, what was his only plan for his life?
(a) To work at GM like his ancestors.
(b) To drink and sleep with lots of girls.
(c) Not to work at GM or become a drunkard.
(d) To become a sensational radio personality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Hamper's mom the primary breadwinner in the family?
2. What was Glen's dream job?
3. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
4. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
5. How much money did Hamper make painting apartments?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)