|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hamper, what percentage of Flint was linked to the auto factories?
2. Why was Hamper expelled from his Catholic high school?
(a) He had sworn at his history teacher.
(b) He was caught trying to skip class.
(c) He was caught rolling a joint in the library.
(d) He refused to attend the daily mass.
3. What did Hamper's mom hope he'd do once he finished high school?
(a) Join the army.
(b) Go to business school.
(c) Go to seminary.
(d) Work at GM.
4. Why was Hamper reinstated as a student in the school?
(a) He promised not to break any more school rules until graduation.
(b) He promised to provide drugs to the principal.
(c) He turned in a written apology.
(d) His mother pleaded for the school to take him back.
5. Oftentimes, when was a woman placed on the assembly line?
(a) When management had no one else to do the job.
(b) When the work was easy.
(c) Whenever she wanted because there was no gender difference.
(d) When the previous two workers had been seen doubling up their tasks.
6. Why did Hamper fight the career trend toward the GM factory?
(a) He wanted to spite Joanie by staying lazy and poor.
(b) He didn't want to do anything the way his father had.
(c) He had bigger dreams than the factory.
(d) He'd known since tenth grade that he would work there.
7. When a would-be employee arrived late and was rejected, what did he do?
(a) Cursed the men who had arrived on time.
(b) Yelled at the supervisor.
(d) Left in silence.
8. What did Hamper think was Dan-O's most amusing prank?
(a) The charging tarantula trap.
(b) The psychedelic porn kaleidoscope.
(c) The crucified wallet.
(d) The suburban shuffle.
9. How much sleep did Dale typically get in a night?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) Eight hours.
(d) Six hours.
10. When did GM schedule an applicant for a physical?
(a) When they planned to put him to work immediately.
(b) When the applicant didn't look healthy.
(c) When the applicant's background check showed drug involvement.
(d) When the application had been processed.
11. What was Roy's plan for his job?
(a) Work ninety days and then get workman's compensation.
(b) Work just enough to keep his job.
(c) Work for thirty years so he could have a good retirement plan.
(d) Work hard and move into management.
12. As told in Chapter Four, how much money did Hamper make while working at the factory?
(a) $200 a shift.
(b) $9.82 an hour.
(c) $15.33 an hour.
(d) $12.82 an hour.
13. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
(a) Punching in.
(b) Keeping up to speed.
(c) Punching out.
(d) Explaining your partner's absence to the supervisor.
14. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
(a) Construction worker.
(b) Airline pilot.
(c) Factory worker.
(d) Ambulance driver.
15. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) Eighteen months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Hamper's parents have?
2. How old was Hamper the first time he went to a car factory?
3. How did management generally run the factory?
4. What two classes did Hamper pass in junior high?
5. When Hamper's dad left, what was the only information his family had?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)