|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his first day of work, before he learned Roy's name, what nickname did Hamper give him?
(a) The naïve one.
(b) The greenie.
(c) The prophet.
(d) The ignorant one.
2. Why did Hamper like spending time at Joanie's house?
(a) Her siblings were well-behaved.
(b) She had no siblings.
(c) Her mother cooked great food.
(d) Her father was friendly and fair.
3. Why did Hamper and Mike come to hate their fathers?
(a) Their fathers were unreliable.
(b) Their fathers were drunkards.
(c) Their fathers were stuck in a rut.
(d) Their fathers were shop-rats.
4. What plans did Hamper and Dale have together for their careers?
(a) Stay in their tasks for thirty years.
(b) Move up into management.
(c) Get injured and earn disability pay most of their lives.
(d) Gradually move into a less demanding assembly line.
5. As Brown hung around in the Cab Shop, what did he do?
(a) Smoked marijuana.
(b) Fell asleep.
(c) Read magazines.
(d) Drank beer.
6. At the beginning of Chapter Three, what reason did Hamper give that Joanie was unhappy in their marriage?
(a) They were not going anywhere in life.
(b) They lived in a bad neighborhood and Hamper did not care.
(c) She wanted more children.
(d) She wanted a different job.
7. Inside the auto factory, why was the Cab Shop nicknamed the Jungle?
(a) There were lots of bugs.
(b) It was impossible to escape from the place.
(c) It was as hot as the equator.
(d) There were lots of hanging ropes and cables.
8. How did Hamper's maternal grandfather live?
(a) He was punctual to work and drunk all weekend.
(b) He was punctual for work and barely drank.
(c) He had trouble holding down a job.
(d) He was late for work and constantly drunk.
9. How did Hamper and Joanie overcome their initial shyness toward each other?
(a) By failing history.
(b) By spending time.
(c) By going to concerts.
(d) By taking drugs.
10. Approximately how long was Hamper's father gone?
(a) Six months.
(b) Eighteen months.
(c) One month.
(d) A year.
11. Why did Hamper grow up in a neighborhood of houses that all look alike?
(a) The neighborhood was built simply to house new factory employees.
(b) The houses were built during a recession when buyers did not have much money.
(c) All Flint residential neighborhoods look the same.
(d) The neighborhood architect didn't have a good imagination.
12. What did Hamper think was Dan-O's most amusing prank?
(a) The psychedelic porn kaleidoscope.
(b) The suburban shuffle.
(c) The crucified wallet.
(d) The charging tarantula trap.
13. Why did GM not hire Hamper when he wanted to apply?
(a) During the recession, the factory wasn't hiring.
(b) He did not have good job references.
(c) They did not want to hire any more Hampers.
(d) He had to be twenty-one to work there.
14. How did the assembly-line workers originally run their radio?
(a) By tuning into the factory loudspeaker.
(b) With 9-volt batteries.
(c) With a car battery.
(d) By plugging into a factory outlet.
15. What happened one day when Hamper left journalism class on drugs?
(a) He hit a parked car.
(b) He drove the wrong car out of the parking lot.
(c) He hit a tuba player in the marching band.
(d) He could not figure out how to turn the car on.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time was required for an employee to secure his job at GM?
2. What was the job Hamper first wanted to have?
3. When Hamper was a child, why were his friends amused by his dad?
4. What was the trickiest part of doubling-up, as Hamper and Dale did?
5. How did management generally run the factory?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)