|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "Indian disease" does Dr. Mitra claim the narrator has?
2. Who is the woman's teacher?
3. Why does the elderly woman's daughter agree to perform at an election meeting?
4. Why is the narrator reluctant to let the elderly woman stay?
5. What skills were courtesans supposed to teach noblemen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "healing" in "A River Sutra": how are medicine, science, and fact placed side by side with faith and belief?
Essay Topic 2
Why is this narrator an appropriate or inappropriate vehicle for "A River Sutra"? What is Gita Mehta's purpose in using this man? What, larger than his own spiritual journey, is she conveying?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of music around the Narmada in "A River Sutra".
This section contains 179 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)