|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the narrator surprised that Uma and the Naga Baba parted ways?
2. What sounds did the father use to teach his daughter music?
3. The narrator is _______ by Dr. Mitra's translation.
4. Who kidnaps the elderly woman's daughter?
5. The Naga Baba finds the jungle _______, but has gotten used to it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss paternity and childhood in "A River Sutra". Where can this type of relationship be seen in the text? Who is involved, and how does it drive the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of storytelling or folklore in "A River Sutra".
Part 1) How does it aid to the portrait of religion?
Part 2) How does it aid to the portrait of India?
Part 3) How does it aid to the portrait of enlightenment?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "healing" in "A River Sutra": how are medicine, science, and fact placed side by side with faith and belief?
This section contains 196 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)