|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the elderly woman's hometown?
2. Why couldn't the daughter find a husband?
3. The father would only continue to teach his daughter music if she agreed to marry ______.
4. Why must the daughter purify herself in the river?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where does Uma go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the errors and successes in the narrator's spiritual journey. Please provide several examples of both errors and successes from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss fact vs. fable in "A River Sutra" and the truth or fiction that can be found in both.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the necessity of "understanding" and "renouncing" the world in "A River Sutra".
Part 1) How must one do this? What is to be gained?
Part 2) How does the narrator attempt this? What are his flaws?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)