|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While reading by the river, Tariq Mia heard ______.
2. What time in his life is Tariq Mia's story set?
3. What sounds did the father use to teach his daughter music?
4. Why would the narrator be able to go find Uma and the Naga Baba?
5. In his story, Tariq Mia encounters a teacher and a _______ student.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of class and wealth in the characters in the stories of "A River Sutra".
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of storytelling or folklore in "A River Sutra".
Part 1) How does it aid to the portrait of religion?
Part 2) How does it aid to the portrait of India?
Part 3) How does it aid to the portrait of enlightenment?
Essay Topic 3
What is "love" in "A River Sutra"? What different forms of love do readers see? What does love mean to the characters? How is the plot affected by love?
This section contains 202 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)