|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the narrator take Nitin back to the guesthouse?
2. What is the benefit of Imrat performing in the park?
3. What can the Vano Village Deity cure?
4. In the story of the Kabirvad Tree, what created it?
5. What cures possession, in the doctor's opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the elderly woman's daughter kidnapped?
2. How is our narrator similar to the Jain monk? What is he lacking to be truly like him?
3. What are the ceremonies of becoming a monk?
4. What parallels can you draw between the woman in the market and Imrat?
5. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
6. Is the daughter trusting of Rahul Singh?
7. How is Imrat a second chance for Master Mohan?
8. How does the woman in the market set up what is to come in Chapter 13?
9. What is the fault Tariq Mia observes about the narrator's attempt at enlightenment?
10. What is the Vano ritual of purging a possession and how does it work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "immortality" in "A River Sutra". What role does it have? Which characters does it affect, and in what ways? Do all characters share the same beliefs about immortality? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the necessity of "understanding" and "renouncing" the world in "A River Sutra".
Part 1) How must one do this? What is to be gained?
Part 2) How does the narrator attempt this? What are his flaws?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the various and vastly different accounts and interpretations of "enlightenment" in "A River Sutra", discuss what it means as a whole to the book.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)