|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
2. Why can't anyone accompany Nitin?
3. What can the Vano Village Deity cure?
4. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Nitin?
5. The narrator enjoys Tariq Mia's song until he realizes how _______ the lyrics are.
Short Essay Questions
1. Are the father's teachings nonsensical?
2. Why is the Jain monk's only love the human heart?
3. Why does the Great Sahib kill Imrat?
4. Does the narrator understand the human heart?
5. What are the ceremonies of becoming a monk?
6. Why is the narrator hesitant to allow the elderly woman to stay at the guesthouse? What does her situation resemble?
7. What is Tariq Mia's advice about "destiny" and how does it contradict to what the narrator has been told through the book?
8. Why is Master Mohan's wife so bitter?
9. What is the question of Nitin's identity?
10. How important are material goods to the people that Naga Baba blesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss interconnectedness in "A River Sutra":
Part 1) Between characters in the tales.
Part 2) Between characters within the tales and our narrator himself.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss fact vs. fable in "A River Sutra" and the truth or fiction that can be found in both.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator's mental limits: what he understands and what disturbs him. Discuss what we are able to learn about the world in "A River Sutra" through his successes and shortcomings.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)