|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Nitin?
2. What religion is Tariq Mia?
3. How does the narrator know it's Nitin who's in trouble?
4. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
5. Why does Nitin bring books to the tea estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Vano ritual of purging a possession and how does it work?
2. How does Ashok's father feel about him becoming a monk?
3. What is the question of Nitin's identity?
4. Why does the narrator take the job at the guesthouse?
5. Does the narrator begin to feel more of an authority on the subject of tribal rituals?
6. What is Shankar's interest in the Narmada?
7. Why is Nitin in the hospital?
8. Are the father's teachings nonsensical?
9. What is the fault Tariq Mia observes about the narrator's attempt at enlightenment?
10. Why is Master Mohan not well respected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of class and wealth in the characters in the stories of "A River Sutra".
Essay Topic 2
Several characters attempt suicide in "A River Sutra". Discuss this compulsion amongst characters.
Part 1) Success and failure.
Part 2) Individual situation and reason.
Part 3) A blanket, overall condition with enlightenment.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of music around the Narmada in "A River Sutra".
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)