|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Sahib kill Imrat?
(a) He drowned him.
(b) He poisoned him.
(c) He slit his throat.
(d) He shot him.
2. Why is Nitin looking for the shrine in the woods?
(a) It gives fertility.
(b) It cures possession.
(c) It's made out of gold.
(d) It brings good luck.
3. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
(a) So they won't get ill.
(b) To prevent themselves from talking too much.
(c) To conceal their good looks.
(d) To prevent accidentally killing insects.
4. What is Tariq Mia's pet name for the narrator?
(a) Little Brother.
(c) Funny Buddy.
5. As the narrator looks at the river one morning, who does the narrator imagine he may see floating in it one day?
(a) His wife.
(c) The monk.
(d) Tariq Mia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tariq Mia's purpose in telling this story?
2. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
3. What cheers the narrator after his talk with Tariq Mia?
4. According to the monk's father, what do people from the West see of India?
5. What does Tariq Mia explain is the Jain monk's only love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the father's philosophies on music?
2. Why doesn't the narrator go near the caves again in Chapter 3?
3. Why is the elderly woman's daughter kidnapped?
4. Why is Master Mohan not well respected?
5. How important are material goods to the people that Naga Baba blesses?
6. In the doctor's opinion, is Nitin possessed and can he be cured?
7. Why is Nitin an exception to Vano law?
8. To her parents, what are the daughter's shortcomings?
9. What is the cause of Nitin's insanity?
10. What is crucial to Nitin's state of mind (then and now) that we learn through his relationship with Rima?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)