|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tariq Mia's purpose in telling this story?
(a) To scare the narrator.
(b) To brag about his intelligence.
(c) To discuss the human heart.
(d) To pass the time.
2. The narrator was once a bureaucrat, but is now a ___________.
(a) Naga Baba.
3. What does the river offer to the narrator?
(a) His object of reflection.
(b) Eternal life.
(c) Good company.
(d) A place to bathe.
4. According to the Jain monk, ritual means nothing if you don't do what?
(a) Follow religious teachings precisely.
(b) Believe in the cause.
(c) Know the longing that precedes it.
(d) Follow it diligently.
5. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
(a) So they won't get ill.
(b) To prevent accidentally killing insects.
(c) To conceal their good looks.
(d) To prevent themselves from talking too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Imrat have to practice in the park?
2. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
3. After the narrator's meeting with the monk, why does he avoid the caves?
4. What kind of family is Nitin's family from?
5. When Tariq Mia teases the narrator, he often is suggesting that the narrator is _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator go near the caves again in Chapter 3?
2. What is the legend of the battle at the Narmada riverbank?
3. How does the archaeology crew affect the narrator's view of his escape?
4. What is Dr. Mitra's diagnosis for Nitin?
5. What are the ceremonies of becoming a monk?
6. How are courtesans meant to interact with noblemen?
7. Is the narrator obsessive compulsive?
8. What are the requirements of being a Jain monk?
9. Why is the Jain monk's only love the human heart?
10. Are any of the daughter's shortcomings correctable?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)