|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there a ceremony for the Jain monk in the stadium?
(a) To announce he is becoming a monk.
(b) To celebrate his first born child.
(c) To pray for his good health.
(d) To pray for his safety on his journey West.
2. In the monk's story, when his chariot is being swarmed, what is the fear in his father's eyes?
3. What is Tariq Mia's purpose in telling this story?
(a) To pass the time.
(b) To brag about his intelligence.
(c) To discuss the human heart.
(d) To scare the narrator.
4. Maser Mohan's wife is ______ towards him.
5. What causes possession, in the doctor's opinion?
(a) If one believes they are.
(b) Bad karma.
(c) Emotional trauma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the poet Kabir offered to Indian religions?
2. No longer interested in women, Nitin is interested in _____.
3. From a young age, the monk's father taught him to be what?
4. When a Jain becomes a monk, what part of the ceremony marks their departure from the world?
5. Why is Nitin looking for the shrine in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of Nitin's insanity?
2. In the doctor's opinion, is Nitin possessed and can he be cured?
3. Why does the Great Sahib kill Imrat?
4. Why is the narrator hesitant to allow the elderly woman to stay at the guesthouse? What does her situation resemble?
5. In Chapter 11, who is the narrator primarily concerned for?
6. During the time of the elderly woman's story, was she helpless?
7. Why does Master Mohan's wife try to sabotage Imrat?
8. What are the ceremonies of becoming a monk?
9. Why is Master Mohan's wife so bitter?
10. What is the role of the Narmada river in Chapter 5?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)