|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Master Mohan's wife enraged by Imrat's recording contract?
(a) She doesn't get any money.
(b) She feels she deserved it.
(c) She is scared for his safety.
(d) She doesn't like his music.
2. Why must the narrator take Nitin back to the guesthouse?
(a) Because he has to be a good friend.
(b) Otherwise, Nitin will be arrested.
(c) Nitin may try to run away.
(d) Nitin may have something spiritual to offer him.
3. The Jain monk observes that although his father gives to charity, he doesn't ______ poverty.
(b) Sympathize with.
4. According to the monk's father, what do people from the West see of India?
5. Why does the narrator read Nitin's diary?
(a) To understand what happened.
(b) Because Nitin is brilliant.
(c) Because his father asked him to.
(d) Because he's a snoop.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one renounces the world, how long must one fast for?
2. From a young age, the monk's father taught him to be what?
3. What causes possession, in the doctor's opinion?
4. What is special about the placement of the guesthouse on the banks of the Narmada River?
5. Why is Nitin Bose coming to the guesthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Shahbag?
2. Why is Nitin an exception to Vano law?
3. What does the narrator believe the purpose or use of the Narmada is?
4. What is the narrator's primary concern in Chapter 8?
5. Why does the narrator take the job at the guesthouse?
6. In Chapter 11, who is the narrator primarily concerned for?
7. What is society's relationship with Naga Babas?
8. Is the daughter trusting of Rahul Singh?
9. What is the Vano ritual of purging a possession and how does it work?
10. What are the benefits of being a courtesan?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)