|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Jain monk observes that although his father gives to charity, he doesn't ______ poverty.
(c) Sympathize with.
2. What causes possession, in the doctor's opinion?
(b) If one believes they are.
(c) Emotional trauma.
(d) Bad karma.
3. What is Master Mohan's profession?
(c) Music teacher.
4. What is the benefit of Imrat performing in the park?
(a) He gets money.
(b) He is well respected.
(c) He gets fresh air.
(d) He makes friends.
5. Why do the Jain monks shave their heads?
(a) To avoid lice.
(b) To look alike.
(c) To avoid human vanity.
(d) To stay cool.
Short Answer Questions
1. From a young age, the monk's father taught him to be what?
2. What is the narrator's primary anxiety about Nitin?
3. Why does Nitin bring books to the tea estate?
4. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
5. Nitin was offered two jobs: managing a tea estate or _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator enjoy about Mahadeo?
2. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
3. Why is Master Mohan not well respected?
4. To her parents, what are the daughter's shortcomings?
5. How does Ashok's father feel about him becoming a monk?
6. What is the narrator's dilemma with bringing Nitin back to the guesthouse after he's released from the hospital.
7. What is India's perception of the West? The West of India?
8. Why is the Jain monk's only love the human heart?
9. Why is Nitin in the hospital?
10. How does the woman in the market set up what is to come in Chapter 13?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)