|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator not know that Nitin has gone?
(a) Nitin placed a dummy in his bed.
(b) He was asleep.
(c) There were voices coming from Nitin's room.
(d) He didn't expect Nitin to run away.
2. Why is Imrat killed?
(a) So no one else could enjoy his music.
(b) So he wouldn't talk to the police.
(c) Because he was a thief.
(d) Because he had a terrible voice.
3. As the narrator looks at the river one morning, who does the narrator imagine he may see floating in it one day?
(b) The monk.
(c) Tariq Mia.
(d) His wife.
4. How is Nitin protected from the struggles in India?
(a) His luxurious life.
(b) He never left the house.
(c) He fled the country.
(d) He was completely oblivious.
5. Why is Master Mohan's wife enraged by Imrat's recording contract?
(a) She feels she deserved it.
(b) She is scared for his safety.
(c) She doesn't get any money.
(d) She doesn't like his music.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
2. What is special about the placement of the guesthouse on the banks of the Narmada River?
3. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
4. The Jain monk observes that although his father gives to charity, he doesn't ______ poverty.
5. From a young age, the monk's father taught him to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. To her parents, what are the daughter's shortcomings?
2. What is Shankar's interest in the Narmada?
3. What is the narrator's dilemma with bringing Nitin back to the guesthouse after he's released from the hospital.
4. What new attitude does Nitin develop while managing the tea estate?
5. Are any of the daughter's shortcomings correctable?
6. How are courtesans meant to interact with noblemen?
7. What is India's perception of the West? The West of India?
8. Why does the Great Sahib kill Imrat?
9. Why does the narrator take the job at the guesthouse?
10. Does the narrator understand the human heart?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)