|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Vano believe is special about Nitin?
(a) He's been touched by the goddess.
(b) He has magical powers.
(c) He speaks an unknown language.
(d) He is very intelligent.
2. Who does Nitin become while managing the tea estate?
(a) A tea estate worker.
(b) An overly controlling boss.
(c) His fake persona.
(d) A woman.
3. What of the river's can the narrator hear at night?
(a) Its heartbeat.
(b) Its fish.
(c) Its whisper.
(d) Its waves.
4. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Nitin?
(a) Nitin has a rare disease.
(b) Nitin has a brain tumor.
(c) Nitin is crazy.
(d) Nitin only thinks he's possessed.
5. Why is Master Mohan's wife enraged by Imrat's recording contract?
(a) She is scared for his safety.
(b) She doesn't get any money.
(c) She doesn't like his music.
(d) She feels she deserved it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the benefit of Imrat performing in the park?
2. Who is charged with Imrat's murder?
3. What is special about the placement of the guesthouse on the banks of the Narmada River?
4. What cures possession, in the doctor's opinion?
5. No longer interested in women, Nitin is interested in _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the requirements of being a Jain monk?
2. Does the narrator understand the human heart?
3. Why does Nitin create a new persona for managing the tea estate?
4. Are the father's teachings nonsensical?
5. Why is "endurance" a necessary part of a pilgrimage to the Narmada?
6. Why doesn't the narrator go near the caves again in Chapter 3?
7. What are the benefits of being a courtesan?
8. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
9. What is the question of Nitin's identity?
10. What is Ashok's desire in becoming a monk?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)