|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Vano believe is special about Nitin?
(a) He speaks an unknown language.
(b) He has magical powers.
(c) He is very intelligent.
(d) He's been touched by the goddess.
2. How do we learn more about Nitin in Chapter 7?
(a) His diary.
(b) His father writes the narrator a letter.
(c) He tells his story to the narrator.
(d) Nitin talks in his sleep.
3. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
(a) So they won't get ill.
(b) To prevent accidentally killing insects.
(c) To conceal their good looks.
(d) To prevent themselves from talking too much.
4. What is Master Mohan's profession?
(d) Music teacher.
5. In the monk's story, when his chariot is being swarmed, what is the fear in his father's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. Maser Mohan's wife is ______ towards him.
2. When one renounces the world, how long must one fast for?
3. Why can't anyone accompany Nitin?
4. "Master" is a title for a ________.
5. Why does the monk's father regret letting his son live in the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nitin in the hospital?
2. How is Imrat a second chance for Master Mohan?
3. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
4. What is crucial to Nitin's state of mind (then and now) that we learn through his relationship with Rima?
5. What is India's perception of the West? The West of India?
6. Why doesn't the narrator go near the caves again in Chapter 3?
7. What is the Vano ritual of purging a possession and how does it work?
8. What are the benefits of being a courtesan?
9. How does Ashok's father feel about him becoming a monk?
10. In the doctor's opinion, is Nitin possessed and can he be cured?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)