|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Sahib kill Imrat?
(a) He poisoned him.
(b) He drowned him.
(c) He slit his throat.
(d) He shot him.
2. What is Master Mohan's only escape?
(a) She doesn't like him.
(b) She could get money for him.
(c) He makes her look old.
(d) She can't afford to support him.
3. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
(a) So he will take life less seriously.
(b) So he will better understand the human heart.
(c) So he will understand true struggle.
(d) So he will appreciate nature.
4. Why does Nitin create a new persona?
(a) Because he doesn't take anything seriously.
(b) Because he's running from the law.
(c) Because he wants to assert authority.
(d) Because he was sick of his old life.
5. The narrator took the job at the guesthouse after what event?
(a) The guesthouse was renovated.
(b) His wife died.
(c) He lost his other job.
(d) His daughter moved to the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Nitin?
2. Why must Nitin make a clay figure of the goddess and submerge it?
3. How does Master Mohan kill himself?
4. Maser Mohan's wife is ______ towards him.
5. Why is the narrator concerned about Nitin running off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the requirements of being a Jain monk?
2. What is Shankar's interest in the Narmada?
3. Why is the narrator hesitant to allow the elderly woman to stay at the guesthouse? What does her situation resemble?
4. What is the narrator's primary concern in Chapter 8?
5. What parallels can you draw between the woman in the market and Imrat?
6. How does the narrator feel about Tariq Mia's village?
7. What new attitude does Nitin develop while managing the tea estate?
8. Why does Master Mohan kill himself?
9. How are courtesans meant to interact with noblemen?
10. What is Tariq Mia's advice about "destiny" and how does it contradict to what the narrator has been told through the book?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)