|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
(a) So he will better understand the human heart.
(b) So he will understand true struggle.
(c) So he will appreciate nature.
(d) So he will take life less seriously.
2. Who does the narrator receive a letter from?
(a) A mysterious woman.
(b) An old colleague.
(c) His sister.
(d) His cousin.
3. Why is Nitin Bose in the hospital?
(a) He was attacked.
(b) He has a terrible disease.
(c) His father is sick.
(d) He tried to kill himself.
4. What about Rima's marriage distresses Nitin?
(a) She loves her husband too much.
(b) Her husband is poor.
(c) Her husband is abusive.
(d) She is unfaithful.
5. What does Tariq Mia explain is the Jain monk's only love?
(a) His mother.
(d) The human heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Master Mohan had the title _______, he would be more respected.
2. As the narrator looks at the river one morning, who does the narrator imagine he may see floating in it one day?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Chapter 5 and Chapter 6?
4. What of the river's can the narrator hear at night?
5. Why do the Jain monks shave their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrator's dilemma with bringing Nitin back to the guesthouse after he's released from the hospital.
2. How does Ashok's father feel about him becoming a monk?
3. What are the requirements of being a Jain monk?
4. What is the cause of Nitin's insanity?
5. What does the narrator enjoy about Mahadeo?
6. In the doctor's opinion, is Nitin possessed and can he be cured?
7. To her parents, what are the daughter's shortcomings?
8. Why does the narrator take the job at the guesthouse?
9. Why is the elderly woman's daughter kidnapped?
10. During the time of the elderly woman's story, was she helpless?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)