|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Today, where is the Aryan who slept on the riverbank?
(a) Still there.
(c) Under the water.
2. Why does the narrator go to visit Tariq Mia in Chapter 14?
(a) To complain.
(b) To get advice.
(c) To tell him the musician's story.
(d) To bring him food.
3. When the ugly daughter was a child, she was ______ of her father.
(c) In awe.
4. Who created all art, in the father's opinion?
(c) The president.
5. What does the narrator discuss with Dr. Mitra at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) The weather.
(b) Nitin's possession.
(c) Dr. Mitra's family.
6. Why does Rahul Singh love the daughter?
(a) She's wealthy.
(b) He believes they were married in a past life.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She's very beautiful.
7. Who is the woman's teacher?
(a) An American rock star.
(c) Her father.
(d) Master Mohan.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where does Uma go?
(a) Back to her father.
(b) She stays at the river.
(c) To become a star.
(d) Back to the brothel.
9. Why must the daughter purify herself in the river?
(a) To get rid of a demon.
(b) To become baptized.
(c) To separate herself from her father.
(d) To get rid of desire.
10. The narrator is _______ by Dr. Mitra's translation.
(b) Indifferent to.
11. How does the elderly woman's daughter die?
(a) Her mother killed her.
(b) She drowns in the river.
(c) The bandits killed her.
(d) A mysterious disease.
12. In order to become a Naga, one must ______.
13. What story is the woman going to tell the narrator?
(a) The battle of Mahadeo.
(b) Tariq Mia's past.
(c) The origin of the Narmada.
(d) Her father's story.
14. Why do people avoid the Naga Baba?
(a) They're frightened of him.
(b) They think he has a disease.
(c) He's mean.
(d) He smells bad.
15. Bandits believe that being stung by bees on the Narmada will give them _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. While reading by the river, Tariq Mia heard ______.
2. Why does the narrator help the woman?
3. Why does Mr. Changla allow the elderly woman to stay?
4. What is the Naga Baba looking for?
5. The teacher sends his student to collect _______.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)