|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Changla allow the elderly woman to stay?
(a) The weather is too bad.
(b) He thinks she's pretty.
(c) She will pay a lot.
(d) He wants to kidnap her.
2. Who kidnaps the elderly woman's daughter?
(a) A bandit.
(b) Her father.
(c) A government official.
(d) Another courtesan.
3. The teacher sends his student to collect _______.
(a) Cow dung.
(b) More students.
4. Bandits believe that being stung by bees on the Narmada will give them _______.
5. Where is the elderly woman's daughter taken after she is kidnapped?
(d) The banks of the Narmada.
6. What does the narrator not believe the river can wash away?
7. When the Naga Baba first moved to the jungle, he always felt ______.
8. Why does the narrator go to see Tariq Mia in Chapter 11?
(a) To bring him a gift.
(b) To pay his respects.
(c) To tell the elderly woman's story.
(d) To hear another story.
9. Why does the narrator help the woman?
(a) So no one notices she's clumsy.
(b) Because she's beautiful.
(c) So no one gets cut.
(d) Because she looks familiar.
10. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where does Uma go?
(a) Back to her father.
(b) To become a star.
(c) She stays at the river.
(d) Back to the brothel.
11. In the father's lessons, what is a raga composed of?
(a) Drum beats.
(b) Loud belting.
(d) The silence between the notes.
12. What season is it in Chapter 9?
13. What is the Naga Baba looking for?
(a) A temple.
(b) An old friend.
(c) A new house.
(d) Cremation grounds.
14. The woman claims her teacher is a ______.
15. How does the elderly woman's daughter die?
(a) A mysterious disease.
(b) Her mother killed her.
(c) The bandits killed her.
(d) She drowns in the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the power comes back in the guesthouse, what is the narrator able to do again?
2. What "Indian disease" does Dr. Mitra claim the narrator has?
3. Why does the narrator go to visit Tariq Mia in Chapter 14?
4. What is the Naga Baba preparing to celebrate?
5. Why does the narrator call the police in Chapter 11?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)