|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Today, where is the Aryan who slept on the riverbank?
(a) Still there.
(c) Under the water.
2. The elderly woman's story begins _____ years in the past.
3. Why must the daughter purify herself in the river?
(a) To become baptized.
(b) To get rid of desire.
(c) To get rid of a demon.
(d) To separate herself from her father.
4. The father would only continue to teach his daughter music if she agreed to marry ______.
(a) A prince.
(c) His friend.
(d) Her cousin.
5. What sounds did the father use to teach his daughter music?
6. Why does the elderly woman's daughter agree to perform at an election meeting?
(a) She was forced to.
(b) They pay her well.
(c) There are lots of handsome men.
(d) Her mother forced her.
7. What won't the elderly woman's daughter be able to do after being kidnapped?
(b) Be a courtesan.
(c) Come back to India.
(d) Get married.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 16, where does Uma go?
(a) She stays at the river.
(b) To become a star.
(c) Back to her father.
(d) Back to the brothel.
9. Why doesn't Tariq Mia think it would be worthwhile to try and find the Naga Baba?
(a) He's changed his appearance.
(b) He's dead.
(c) There is nothing left to learn from him.
(d) He's good at hiding.
10. Why do people avoid the Naga Baba?
(a) He smells bad.
(b) They think he has a disease.
(c) He's mean.
(d) They're frightened of him.
11. Bandits believe that being stung by bees on the Narmada will give them _______.
12. What "Indian disease" does Dr. Mitra claim the narrator has?
(b) Delusions of grandeur.
(c) Indifference to evil.
(d) Making everything holy.
13. Why does the narrator go to visit Tariq Mia in Chapter 14?
(a) To get advice.
(b) To complain.
(c) To tell him the musician's story.
(d) To bring him food.
14. Why has the elderly woman come to the guesthouse?
(a) To stop and rest.
(b) To deliver a letter to the narrator.
(c) To get something to eat.
(d) To find her daughter.
15. At the dance academy, what are the girls' dances supposed to convey?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the elderly woman's daughter been held captive?
2. The woman is on a _______ pilgrimage.
3. What does the narrator discuss with Dr. Mitra at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. In Tariq Mia's opinion, how is the narrator trying to learn about enlightenment?
5. What is the Naga Baba looking for?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)