|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From a young age, the monk's father taught him to be what?
2. Why does the narrator read Nitin's diary?
(a) Because Nitin is brilliant.
(b) To understand what happened.
(c) Because his father asked him to.
(d) Because he's a snoop.
3. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Nitin?
(a) Nitin only thinks he's possessed.
(b) Nitin has a brain tumor.
(c) Nitin is crazy.
(d) Nitin has a rare disease.
4. What about Rima's marriage distresses Nitin?
(a) She is unfaithful.
(b) She loves her husband too much.
(c) Her husband is poor.
(d) Her husband is abusive.
5. How do we learn more about Nitin in Chapter 7?
(a) Nitin talks in his sleep.
(b) His diary.
(c) His father writes the narrator a letter.
(d) He tells his story to the narrator.
6. In the Jain monk's story, the crowd at the ceremony is excited by what, other than his diamonds?
(a) How tolerant his father is.
(b) How handsome he's become.
(c) How brave he is.
(d) That he is giving up his wealth.
7. Why does Tariq Mia begin to tell the narrator his story?
(a) So he will understand true struggle.
(b) So he will appreciate nature.
(c) So he will take life less seriously.
(d) So he will better understand the human heart.
8. Why is the narrator concerned about Nitin running off?
(a) Nitin is unstable.
(b) Nitin's father will be angry.
(c) It's not safe in the neighborhood at night.
(d) He may not come back.
9. Why can't anyone accompany Nitin?
(a) He runs too fast.
(b) He asked everyone not to.
(c) Everyone's afraid of him.
(d) No outsiders are allowed in the Vano Village.
10. Why doesn't the narrator want to take Nitin back to the guesthouse?
(a) He smells bad.
(b) All his friends will have to come.
(c) He can't pay for his room.
(d) He's unstable.
11. What kind of family is Nitin's family from?
(a) A wealthy family.
(b) A poor family.
(c) A mobster family.
(d) He has no family.
12. Who does the narrator receive a letter from?
(a) His sister.
(b) His cousin.
(c) A mysterious woman.
(d) An old colleague.
13. According to the Jain monk, ritual means nothing if you don't do what?
(a) Believe in the cause.
(b) Follow it diligently.
(c) Follow religious teachings precisely.
(d) Know the longing that precedes it.
14. Nitin was offered two jobs: managing a tea estate or _______.
(a) A business adviser.
(b) A government position.
(c) An executive training course.
(d) CEO of a company.
15. How is Nitin protected from the struggles in India?
(a) His luxurious life.
(b) He was completely oblivious.
(c) He never left the house.
(d) He fled the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nitin looking for the shrine in the woods?
2. In the story of the Kabirvad Tree, what created it?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Chapter 5 and Chapter 6?
4. Why does the Jain monk clear the bugs off the boulder?
5. What is the benefit of Imrat performing in the park?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)