|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator took the job at the guesthouse after what event?
(a) The guesthouse was renovated.
(b) His daughter moved to the city.
(c) His wife died.
(d) He lost his other job.
2. Kama is the god of ______.
3. What of the river's can the narrator hear at night?
(a) Its heartbeat.
(b) Its fish.
(c) Its waves.
(d) Its whisper.
4. Why does Nitin believe he can't stay awake?
(a) Because his life is so boring.
(b) Because he drinks too much tea.
(c) Because he's enchanted.
(d) Because the world is too scary.
5. Who is charged with Imrat's murder?
(a) Master Mohan.
(b) Master Mohan's wife.
(c) Imrat's classmate.
(d) The musicians.
6. The Jain monk observes that although his father gives to charity, he doesn't ______ poverty.
(a) Sympathize with.
7. In the story of the Kabirvad Tree, what created it?
(a) The Jain monk's prayers.
(c) Kabir's toothbrush.
(d) The Narmada River.
8. What does Tariq Mia explain is the Jain monk's only love?
(b) His mother.
(c) The human heart.
9. What does Master Mohan see Imrat as?
(a) A second chance.
(b) A servant.
(c) A burden.
(d) A meal ticket.
10. Why does the Jain monk clear the bugs off the boulder?
(a) Bugs scare him.
(b) The boulder is rolling.
(c) He collects bugs.
(d) So he doesn't crush them.
11. Why is Master Mohan's wife enraged by Imrat's recording contract?
(a) She is scared for his safety.
(b) She feels she deserved it.
(c) She doesn't like his music.
(d) She doesn't get any money.
12. Why does the monk's father regret letting his son live in the West?
(a) It made him selfish.
(b) It distanced him from the family.
(c) It made him too intelligent.
(d) It destroyed his peace of mind.
13. Maser Mohan's wife is ______ towards him.
14. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
(a) To prevent themselves from talking too much.
(b) To prevent accidentally killing insects.
(c) So they won't get ill.
(d) To conceal their good looks.
15. What is the narrator's primary anxiety about Nitin?
(a) His faith.
(b) His wealth.
(c) His safety.
(d) His health.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the river offer to the narrator?
2. Who does Nitin become while managing the tea estate?
3. What is special about the placement of the guesthouse on the banks of the Narmada River?
4. The narrator enjoys Tariq Mia's song until he realizes how _______ the lyrics are.
5. Why must the narrator take Nitin back to the guesthouse?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)