|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Jain monk clear the bugs off the boulder?
(a) Bugs scare him.
(b) The boulder is rolling.
(c) He collects bugs.
(d) So he doesn't crush them.
2. Why won't the narrator go into the caves?
(a) There are snakes.
(b) They're haunted.
(c) They're private property.
(d) He's afraid of the dark.
3. Why does the narrator read Nitin's diary?
(a) Because his father asked him to.
(b) Because Nitin is brilliant.
(c) Because he's a snoop.
(d) To understand what happened.
4. If Master Mohan had the title _______, he would be more respected.
5. Why does Nitin bring books to the tea estate?
(a) To pass the time.
(b) To use as table space.
(c) To look like a scholar.
(d) To educate the workers.
6. The narrator took the job at the guesthouse after what event?
(a) His daughter moved to the city.
(b) His wife died.
(c) He lost his other job.
(d) The guesthouse was renovated.
7. No longer interested in women, Nitin is interested in _____.
(d) The stars.
8. How has Nitin's presence disrupted the narrator's life?
(a) He talks too much.
(b) He has loud parties.
(c) He makes the narrator feel inadequate.
(d) He's always worrying about him.
9. What cures possession, in the doctor's opinion?
(b) Belief that they are cured.
(c) A ritual.
(d) Success at work.
10. How is Nitin protected from the struggles in India?
(a) He fled the country.
(b) He was completely oblivious.
(c) His luxurious life.
(d) He never left the house.
11. What causes possession, in the doctor's opinion?
(a) If one believes they are.
(b) Bad karma.
(c) Emotional trauma.
12. What is Tariq Mia's purpose in telling this story?
(a) To brag about his intelligence.
(b) To scare the narrator.
(c) To discuss the human heart.
(d) To pass the time.
13. How much does the Jain monk's father have to pay for his son to renounce the world?
(a) One million rupees.
(b) Two thousand rupees.
(c) 62 million rupees.
(d) 50 rupees.
14. What does Tariq Mia explain is the Jain monk's only love?
(a) The human heart.
(c) His mother.
15. After the narrator's meeting with the monk, why does he avoid the caves?
(a) So he won't get lost.
(b) So he won't meet another stranger.
(c) He's afraid of the dark.
(d) He's afraid of spiders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the narrator want to take Nitin back to the guesthouse?
2. What is special about Imrat?
3. Why is there a ceremony for the Jain monk in the stadium?
4. Why is Nitin looking for the shrine in the woods?
5. Why does Nitin create a new persona?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)