|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a Jain becomes a monk, what part of the ceremony marks their departure from the world?
2. What does the monk claim he will gain from enduring the trials of being a monk?
3. Why do the Jain monks shave their heads?
(a) To stay cool.
(b) To look alike.
(c) To avoid lice.
(d) To avoid human vanity.
4. What is special about the placement of the guesthouse on the banks of the Narmada River?
(a) It's a religious pilgrimage site.
(b) It's inexpensive real estate.
(c) It's where the narrator was born.
(d) It's known for it's nice smell.
5. According to the Jain monk, ritual means nothing if you don't do what?
(a) Believe in the cause.
(b) Follow religious teachings precisely.
(c) Follow it diligently.
(d) Know the longing that precedes it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one renounces the world, how long must one fast for?
2. Why do Jain monks cover their mouths?
3. After the narrator's meeting with the monk, why does he avoid the caves?
4. When Tariq Mia teases the narrator, he often is suggesting that the narrator is _______.
5. Why won't the narrator go into the caves?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)