|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who from Mattie's family moved in with Mattie and John years ago?
2. From where did Mattie's two sisters come?
3. What does Mattie say is her only reward?
4. Where did John direct his frustrated ambitions?
5. What is the name of John's poem?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Three generations of black women are represented in this play. Compare and contrast Grandma, Mattie and Ann. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)