|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does Skeeter take at the house?
2. What do Mattie's medical tests reveal?
3. How many years had John attended college?
4. What does Mattie ask Jeff to do before he marries Ann?
5. What element becomes almost human as it appears in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Three generations of black women are represented in this play. Compare and contrast Grandma, Mattie and Ann. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 192 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)