|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do John and Dudley go?
2. Why does Dudley think it best if John is aware of Mattie's condition?
3. What happens after a violent confrontation between Jeff and Mo?
4. What does Mo deride Jeff for regarding Jeff's vision?
5. What is Mattie's response to Jeff's telling her that he asked Ann to marry him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of John. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)