|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeff do when Chips antagonizes Ann?
2. Who comes to the house to talk to John?
3. Why is Grandma not happy about Ann's presence in their lives?
4. Why was John forced to drop out of school?
5. Who from Mattie's family moved in with Mattie and John years ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of black men in the 1970s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)