|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were John's career goals?
2. Who does Mattie not want to know about her condition?
3. Where does Ann say Mattie will get her true rewards?
4. What does Mattie think is a big problem with her family?
5. What room is John working in at the beginning of Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony in the personalities and characteristics of John and Dudley. Compare and contrast the two men. Why are they unlikely friends? What is the attraction that keeps the friendship alive?
Essay Topic 2
Three generations of black women are represented in this play. Compare and contrast Grandma, Mattie and Ann. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)