|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeff tells his father that there are different ________________ for different people.
2. Why was John forced to drop out of school?
3. What did John and Mattie do when Mattie's sisters came to New York?
4. What happens after a violent confrontation between Jeff and Mo?
5. Why is John perplexed to see Jeff when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony in the personalities and characteristics of John and Dudley. Compare and contrast the two men. Why are they unlikely friends? What is the attraction that keeps the friendship alive?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the book is Harlem in New York City in America during recessionary times. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in Harlem were affected. What impact did financial situations have on the lives and outlooks of the characters?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)