|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house?
2. How does Grandma react to Jeff's telling her that he has asked Ann to marry him?
3. Where did Mattie and John live when John was in college?
4. Where does Ann say Mattie will get her true rewards?
5. What does John feels about Jeff's discharge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Jeff. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)