|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What covers John's clothes when he comes into the house?
2. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
3. How much does John already owe Dudley?
4. Where does Ann end up spending the night?
5. What does Grandma comment on regarding Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
2. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
3. How do John and Dudley differ in their opinions of the military?
4. What happens when Mo derides Jeff's dream of fighting for Black rights via the legal system?
5. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
6. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
7. Why have the group members brought Skeeter to Jeff's house?
8. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
9. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
10. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of black men in the 1970s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the irony in the personalities and characteristics of John and Dudley. Compare and contrast the two men. Why are they unlikely friends? What is the attraction that keeps the friendship alive?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)