|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Dudley have?
2. What is the name of John's wife?
3. What does Mattie say happened to her on the subway?
4. What does John read from the paper?
5. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dudley tell the family about Mattie's health and how does Mattie respond?
2. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
3. What does John read while sitting at the table?
4. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
5. How does Grandma inadvertently upset Mattie when they are talking about John?
6. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
7. What warning does Mattie give Ann about Chips?
8. How did Mattie's family show their gratitude toward John?
9. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
10. What does Mattie consider to be a big problem in her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)