|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie say happened to her on the subway?
2. What does Grandma comment on regarding Mattie?
3. What does Jeff do when he enters the house?
4. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
5. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John and Dudley differ in their opinions of the military?
2. What story does John create for the others to explain to the police?
3. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
4. Describe the scenario in which Al is killed and John is mortally wounded.
5. What are John's dying words to Mattie?
6. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
7. Explain the source of John's deep regret in his life. How does Mattie respond to what he says?
8. What happens when Mo derides Jeff's dream of fighting for Black rights via the legal system?
9. Why have the group members brought Skeeter to Jeff's house?
10. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)