|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grandma Wilhemina's last name?
2. What is Ann's occupation?
3. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
4. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
5. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
2. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
3. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
4. Why does Mattie not say anything to John and Grandma about their alcohol abuse?
5. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
6. Why does Ann volunteer to help with the plan to identify the gang's stool pigeon?
7. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
8. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
9. What story does John create for the others to explain to the police?
10. What happens when Mo derides Jeff's dream of fighting for Black rights via the legal system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The role of black men is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the male characters. What is the presumed role of black men in America during the 1970s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)