|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Ann met Jeff?
2. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
3. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
4. What does John read from the paper?
5. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
2. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
3. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
4. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
5. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
6. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
7. How does John behave when he finally arrives home?
8. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
9. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
10. What are the police demands when they surround the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)