|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the premise of the play?
2. What do Jeff and Ann do after Jeff comes home?
3. What does John count?
4. What is John Williams' occupation?
5. Where had Ann met Jeff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
2. What happens when Mo derides Jeff's dream of fighting for Black rights via the legal system?
3. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
4. What happens to Skeeter as Jeff and Al talk?
5. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
6. Why are the characters worried about John at the beginning of Act 3?
7. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
8. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. What warning does Mattie give Ann about Chips?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)