|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of John and Dudley?
2. What is John Williams' occupation?
3. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
4. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
5. Who has arrived at John's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
2. What story does John create for the others to explain to the police?
3. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
4. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
5. What is Jeff's explanation for his leaving the Air Force and how does John react?
6. What is the premise of THE RIVER NIGER?
7. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
8. How does the author reveal the nature of the relationship between John and Dudley?
9. What are the police demands when they surround the house?
10. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)