|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
2. How much does John already owe Dudley?
3. What is John Williams' occupation?
4. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
5. How does Chips' gang treat Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
2. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
3. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
4. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
5. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
6. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
7. Explain the source of John's deep regret in his life. How does Mattie respond to what he says?
8. How does the play begin and who is the first character to appear?
9. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
10. What is John doing at the beginning of Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)