|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does John already owe Dudley?
2. How much money does John ask to borrow from Dudley?
3. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
4. What is the relationship of John and Dudley?
5. What covers John's clothes when he comes into the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
2. What does Dudley tell the family about Mattie's health and how does Mattie respond?
3. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
4. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
5. How did Mattie's family show their gratitude toward John?
6. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
7. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
8. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
9. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
10. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of black men in the 1970s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Jeff. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)