|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Dudley?
3. What falls out of John's pocket?
4. Where do the events of the story take place?
5. What do Jeff and Ann do after Jeff comes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
2. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
3. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
4. What story does John create for the others to explain to the police?
5. What inanimate element does the author use almost like another character throughout the play?
6. What happens to Skeeter as Jeff and Al talk?
7. What does John read while sitting at the table?
8. What is Jeff's explanation for his leaving the Air Force and how does John react?
9. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
10. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,640 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)