|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
2. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
3. How many children does Dudley have?
4. Where do the events of the story take place?
5. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Skeeter as Jeff and Al talk?
2. What are John's dying words to Mattie?
3. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
4. How does Jeff make his entrance into the play?
5. What does Dudley tell John about Mattie's health?
6. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
7. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
8. How does the play begin and who is the first character to appear?
9. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
10. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of John. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)