|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the events of the story take place?
2. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
3. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
4. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
5. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dudley find so amazing about the poem that John reads to Ann?
2. How does the play begin and who is the first character to appear?
3. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
4. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
5. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
6. How do Dudley and John differ on engaging in the trials of black people in America?
7. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
8. What are the police demands when they surround the house?
9. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
10. How does John behave when he finally arrives home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of black men is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the male characters. What is the presumed role of black men in America during the 1970s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)