|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
2. How many children does Dudley have?
3. What alcohol has Dudley brought with him?
4. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Dudley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the group members brought Skeeter to Jeff's house?
2. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
3. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
4. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
5. What is the premise of THE RIVER NIGER?
6. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
7. How do Dudley and John differ on engaging in the trials of black people in America?
8. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
9. What is Jeff's explanation for his leaving the Air Force and how does John react?
10. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three generations of black women are represented in this play. Compare and contrast Grandma, Mattie and Ann. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)