Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
2. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
3. John wishes he had an outlet for his ____________________.
4. What does John count?
5. Where do the events of the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
2. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
3. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
4. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
5. What does John read while sitting at the table?
6. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
7. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
8. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)