Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
2. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
3. John wishes he had an outlet for his ____________________.
4. What does John count?
5. Where do the events of the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
2. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
3. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
4. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
5. What does John read while sitting at the table?
6. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
7. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
8. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Explain the irony in the personalities and characteristics of John and Dudley. Compare and contrast the two men. Why are they unlikely friends? What is the attraction that keeps the friendship alive?
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)