|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise startles Grandma Wilhemina?
2. In what location does the play open?
3. What does John read from the paper?
4. Where had Ann met Jeff?
5. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the characters worried about John at the beginning of Act 3?
2. How does Grandma inadvertently upset Mattie when they are talking about John?
3. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
4. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
5. What is the setting of Act 3 and what are the characters doing as the act begins?
6. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
7. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
8. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
9. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
10. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of black men in the 1970s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Jeff. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)