|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage is Grandma Wilhemina fixing?
2. Where do the events of the story take place?
3. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
4. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
5. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John and Dudley differ in their opinions of the military?
2. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
3. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
4. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
5. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
6. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
7. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
8. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)