|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of THE RIVER NIGER?
2. How much money does John ask to borrow from Dudley?
3. Where was Ann born?
4. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
5. What does John read from the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John read while sitting at the table?
2. What inanimate element does the author use almost like another character throughout the play?
3. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
4. What does Mattie consider to be a big problem in her family?
5. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
6. Why have the group members brought Skeeter to Jeff's house?
7. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
8. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
9. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
10. What warning does Mattie give Ann about Chips?
Essay Topic 1
Three generations of black women are represented in this play. Compare and contrast Grandma, Mattie and Ann. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The role of black men is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the male characters. What is the presumed role of black men in America during the 1970s? Explain by giving examples.
This section contains 1,634 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)