|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does John already owe Dudley?
2. What is Ann's occupation?
3. What covers John's clothes when he comes into the house?
4. What is the name of John's wife?
5. Why has Jeff been away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the characters worried about John at the beginning of Act 3?
2. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
3. How did Mattie's family show their gratitude toward John?
4. What warning does Mattie give Ann about Chips?
5. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
6. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
7. What story does John create for the others to explain to the police?
8. Why does Ann volunteer to help with the plan to identify the gang's stool pigeon?
9. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
10. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Walker use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)