|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what location does the play open?
2. What alcohol has Dudley brought with him?
3. What is John Williams' occupation?
4. What noise startles Grandma Wilhemina?
5. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
2. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
3. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
4. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
5. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
6. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
7. How did Mattie's family show their gratitude toward John?
8. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
9. Explain the source of John's deep regret in his life. How does Mattie respond to what he says?
10. How do John and Dudley differ in their opinions of the military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)