|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the paper from which John reads to Ann?
2. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
3. What is the name of the local bar?
4. What is the relationship of John and Dudley?
5. In what location does the play open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mo derides Jeff's dream of fighting for Black rights via the legal system?
2. What is the setting of Act 3 and what are the characters doing as the act begins?
3. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
4. How does Jeff make his entrance into the play?
5. What is John doing at the beginning of Act 2?
6. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
7. What does Dudley find so amazing about the poem that John reads to Ann?
8. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. What does Dudley tell John about Mattie's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the book is Harlem in New York City in America during recessionary times. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in Harlem were affected. What impact did financial situations have on the lives and outlooks of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of black men in the 1970s. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? Did they enjoy any freedoms that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)