|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Jeff been away from home?
2. What falls out of John's pocket?
3. What does John read from the paper?
4. John wishes he had an outlet for his ____________________.
5. What had Ann told Mattie she wouldn't do during her visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
2. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
3. Why have Skeeter and Al come to the house to see Jeff?
4. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann after speaking with her for a short while?
5. How does Grandma inadvertently upset Mattie when they are talking about John?
6. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
7. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
8. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
9. Why does Mattie not say anything to John and Grandma about their alcohol abuse?
10. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)