|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
2. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
3. John wishes he had an outlet for his ____________________.
4. What does John count?
5. Where do the events of the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
2. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
3. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
4. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
5. What does John read while sitting at the table?
6. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
7. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
8. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
THE RIVER NIGER is a classic story of hardship and struggles. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)