|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the paper from which John reads to Ann?
2. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
3. What is John Williams' occupation?
4. In what location does the play open?
5. What does Mattie tell Ann about what Jeff was in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann after speaking with her for a short while?
2. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
3. Who is Dr. Dudley Stanton and how is he introduced into the play?
4. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
5. What does Mattie consider to be a big problem in her family?
6. What does John read while sitting at the table?
7. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
8. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
9. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
10. Why does Mattie not say anything to John and Grandma about their alcohol abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE RIVER NIGER when the play is actually set in Harlem in New York City? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)