|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the play open?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Dudley?
3. What had Ann told Mattie she wouldn't do during her visit?
4. Where does Ann end up spending the night?
5. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John read while sitting at the table?
2. What is Jeff's explanation for his leaving the Air Force and how does John react?
3. What is Grandma's opinion of Ann?
4. What does Gail ask Jeff to do regarding Mo's life direction?
5. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
6. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
7. What inanimate element does the author use almost like another character throughout the play?
8. Why are the characters worried about John at the beginning of Act 3?
9. Who is Dr. Dudley Stanton and how is he introduced into the play?
10. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann after speaking with her for a short while?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Ann. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Walker's use of language in the play. Cite examples of at least two different instances of language that is appropriate for the characters and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)