|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandma Wilhemina put in her coffee?
2. In what location does the play open?
3. Where was Ann born?
4. What does Mattie tell Ann about what Jeff was in high school?
5. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do John and Dudley differ in their opinions of the military?
2. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
3. What does Dudley find so amazing about the poem that John reads to Ann?
4. What is the premise of THE RIVER NIGER?
5. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
6. How does the author reveal the nature of the relationship between John and Dudley?
7. What does Mattie consider to be a big problem in her family?
8. How does Jeff make his entrance into the play?
9. Explain the source of John's deep regret in his life. How does Mattie respond to what he says?
10. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE RIVER NIGER is set in the 1970s in the wake of the Civil Rights movement in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the book is Harlem in New York City in America during recessionary times. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in Harlem were affected. What impact did financial situations have on the lives and outlooks of the characters?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)