|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
2. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
3. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
4. What does John read from the paper?
5. Where was Ann born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Dudley and John differ on engaging in the trials of black people in America?
2. How does the play begin and who is the first character to appear?
3. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
4. What does John ask Dudley for when he abruptly changes the subject?
5. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
6. What does Dudley tell John about Mattie's health?
7. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
8. What is Jeff's response when Chips tries to antagonize Ann again?
9. Describe the scenario in which Al is killed and John is mortally wounded.
10. What is revealed about what was heard on the phone lines in the plan to catch the informant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author gives stage direction for the music of a bass to punctuate different events during the play. The music then takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of hope. Identify at least two themes about hope in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)