|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the paper from which John reads to Ann?
2. In what month does the play open?
3. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
4. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
5. How does Chips' gang treat Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John behave when he finally arrives home?
2. Describe the scenario in which Al is killed and John is mortally wounded.
3. Why does Ann volunteer to help with the plan to identify the gang's stool pigeon?
4. Explain the source of John's deep regret in his life. How does Mattie respond to what he says?
5. How does the author reveal the nature of the relationship between John and Dudley?
6. What is the setting of Act 3 and what are the characters doing as the act begins?
7. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
8. What are John's dying words to Mattie?
9. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
10. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dudley. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mattie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jeff, Ann and Dudley. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)