|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John count?
(a) The days until payday.
(b) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
(c) The contents of his wallet.
(d) The days until Christmas.
2. How does Chips' gang treat Ann?
(a) They take her out for drinks.
(b) They are glad to meet one of Jeff's friends.
(c) They ignore her.
(d) They are rude and offensive.
3. What does Mattie tell Ann about what Jeff was in high school?
(a) A valedictorian.
(b) A gang leader.
(c) A basketball star.
(d) A football hero.
4. Why has Jeff been away from home?
(a) He was traveling through Europe.
(b) He had a job in Asia.
(c) He was in the Air Force.
(d) He was at college.
5. Who is John's son who is returning home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of THE RIVER NIGER?
2. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
3. What falls out of John's pocket?
4. What does Dudley remind John that is Jeff's true achievement?
5. What is the premise of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
2. What happens to Skeeter as Jeff and Al talk?
3. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
4. What is the premise of THE RIVER NIGER?
5. What warning does Mattie give Ann about Chips?
6. Who is John Williams and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
7. What does Dudley find so amazing about the poem that John reads to Ann?
8. What is John doing at the beginning of Act 2?
9. Why does Ann volunteer to help with the plan to identify the gang's stool pigeon?
10. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)