|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Jeff been away from home?
(a) He was traveling through Europe.
(b) He was at college.
(c) He had a job in Asia.
(d) He was in the Air Force.
2. How much does John already owe Dudley?
3. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
(a) Adequate housing.
(b) Good jobs.
(c) Strong male role models.
(d) Strong single mothers.
4. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
(b) Bottle of whisky.
(d) Christmas present.
5. How many years has Ann's father been in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John count?
2. What is the name of John's wife?
3. What does Dudley offer to give Mattie?
4. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
5. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John say he has been for a week and what was he doing?
2. What is the first mention that indicates that Mattie is ill?
3. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
4. How does John behave when he finally arrives home?
5. Who is finally identified as the group's snitch?
6. What are John's dying words to Mattie?
7. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she and Grandma go out shopping?
8. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
9. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
10. How do Dudley and John differ on engaging in the trials of black people in America?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)