|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John count?
(a) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
(b) The contents of his wallet.
(c) The days until payday.
(d) The days until Christmas.
2. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
3. What alcohol has Dudley brought with him?
4. What beverage is Grandma Wilhemina fixing?
(a) Hot chocolate.
(d) Iced tea.
5. What is Mattie carrying when she comes in?
(b) The mail.
(c) Her coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ann's occupation?
2. What had Ann told Mattie she wouldn't do during her visit?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
4. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
5. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's dying words to Mattie?
2. What are the police demands when they surround the house?
3. How does Grandma inadvertently upset Mattie when they are talking about John?
4. How does John behave when he finally arrives home?
5. Who is Dr. Dudley Stanton and how is he introduced into the play?
6. What inanimate element does the author use almost like another character throughout the play?
7. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
8. Why does Mattie not say anything to John and Grandma about their alcohol abuse?
9. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
10. How do Dudley and John differ on engaging in the trials of black people in America?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)