|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann?
(a) She has had a hard life.
(b) She is not very bright.
(c) She is very accomplished.
(d) She wants to marry Jeff.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Dudley?
3. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
(a) Carton of cigarettes.
(b) The change from his pocket.
(c) Cedar jewelry box.
(d) A bag of groceries.
4. What is the name of John's wife?
5. Who is John's son who is returning home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Dudley been doing out of the country?
2. In what month does the play open?
3. Who is the author of THE RIVER NIGER?
4. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
5. What does John read from the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the theme of black male figures in the story?
2. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
3. What is the setting of Act 3 and what are the characters doing as the act begins?
4. What are the police demands when they surround the house?
5. Who is Chips and what is his demeanor as he enters the play?
6. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
7. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
8. Describe the reactions of Mattie and Grandma when Jeff announces his plans to marry Ann.
9. Why have the group members brought Skeeter to Jeff's house?
10. What is John doing at the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)