|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John count?
(a) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
(b) The days until Christmas.
(c) The days until payday.
(d) The contents of his wallet.
2. What had Dudley been doing out of the country?
(d) Visiting relatives.
3. What is the relationship of John and Dudley?
(a) Business partners.
(b) Doctor and patient.
4. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
(a) Take her to dinner.
(b) Make up a bed.
(c) Read her a poem.
(d) Fix her a drink.
5. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann?
(a) She has had a hard life.
(b) She is not very bright.
(c) She is very accomplished.
(d) She wants to marry Jeff.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
3. What is John's liquor of choice?
4. What noise startles Grandma Wilhemina?
5. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
2. How does the author reveal the nature of the relationship between John and Dudley?
3. What does Mattie consider to be a big problem in her family?
4. Why does Mattie not say anything to John and Grandma about their alcohol abuse?
5. What is Jeff's explanation for his leaving the Air Force and how does John react?
6. What does Mattie tell Ann about what John gave up in order to support her family?
7. Why does Dudley decide to tell John about Mattie's health?
8. What does Ann tell Mattie about her family and background?
9. What is Dudley's philosophy of medical practice and death?
10. What happens to Skeeter as Jeff and Al talk?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)