|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
2. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
(a) John Pearson.
(b) Grandma Wilhemina.
(c) John Williams.
(d) James Hall.
3. John wishes he had an outlet for his ____________________.
(a) Pugilistic tendencies.
(b) Artistic tendencies.
4. What does John count?
(a) The days until Christmas.
(b) The days until payday.
(c) The contents of his wallet.
(d) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
5. Where do the events of the story take place?
(a) Harlem, New York City.
(c) The Bronx, New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
2. What does Jeff do when he enters the house?
3. What does Dudley offer to give Mattie?
4. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
5. What does John read from the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mattie's perspective on death and what is her only concern at the moment?
2. Why do Mo and Gail come to the house?
3. What insights has John had while being away for a week?
4. Why do Chips, Mo and Gail come to the house?
5. What does John read while sitting at the table?
6. What happens after Ann suggests that she move into a hotel?
7. Why can Jeff not try on his Air Force uniform when John asks him to?
8. Describe the scenario in which John dies.
9. What is John's reaction when Dudley informs him of Mattie's health diagnosis?
10. Who is Jeff and what is his anticipated entry into the story?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)