|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mattie say is her only reward?
(a) Her home.
(b) Her fine son.
(c) Her health.
(d) Her good and loyal husband.
2. What does Mattie think is a big problem with her family?
(a) Lack of education.
(b) Bad tempers.
(c) Alcohol abuse.
(d) Mental illness.
3. Why was Jeff discharged from the Air Force?
(a) He was arrested for drunk driving.
(b) He was drunk on duty.
(c) He went AWOL.
(d) He failed navigator training.
4. What does Jeff tell Mattie to do with his uniform?
(a) Mend a tear in it.
(b) Hem the pants.
(c) Give it to the Salvation Army.
(d) Take it to the cleaners.
5. What is the name of John's poem?
(a) The River is Wide.
(b) Rollin' on the River.
(c) The River Niger.
(d) The Tigres River.
6. What does Mattie ask Ann to do while she is gone?
(a) Run the vacuum cleaner.
(b) Tidy up Jeff's bedroom.
(c) Make phone calls to invite people to the party.
(d) Make some party food.
7. What room is John working in at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) The living room.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The back porch.
8. What does John ask Jeff to do when he sees him?
(a) Put on his uniform.
(b) Hug him.
(c) Watch a baseball game on TV.
(d) Go have a beer with him.
9. Who does Mattie not want to know about her condition?
10. What were John's career goals?
(a) To be a scientist.
(b) To be a lawyer.
(c) To be a professor.
(d) To be a doctor.
11. Why are Mattie and Grandma so happy?
(a) Grandma got good medical test results.
(b) They got good deals on Christmas gifts.
(c) They like their new neighbors.
(d) Jeff has come home.
12. How old is Grandma?
13. What relieves Gail's mind?
(a) Jeff agrees to talk to Mo.
(b) She got good medical test results.
(c) She got a new job.
(d) She found an apartment.
14. What has Dudley scheduled for Mattie?
(b) Hair appointment.
(c) Blood donation.
(d) Tee times.
15. What does Jeff tell his mother when she asks him to wait to get married?
(a) He can't agree to wait.
(b) He will wait as long as it takes.
(c) He will wait six months.
(d) He will wait until he graduates law school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was John forced to drop out of school?
2. Where did John direct his frustrated ambitions?
3. Jeff tells his father that there are different ________________ for different people.
4. What type of encouragement does Ann give Mattie?
5. What does Jeff do when Chips antagonizes Ann?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)