|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of encouragement does Ann give Mattie?
2. How does Grandma react to Jeff's telling her that he has asked Ann to marry him?
(a) She is obviously unhappy.
(b) She will try to be happy.
(c) She is happy for both of them.
(d) She says she will have to sleep on it.
3. Why was John forced to drop out of school?
(a) He ran out of money.
(b) To take care of the farm.
(c) To care for Mattie's family.
(d) He got seriously ill.
4. What does Jeff tell his mother when she asks him to wait to get married?
(a) He can't agree to wait.
(b) He will wait as long as it takes.
(c) He will wait six months.
(d) He will wait until he graduates law school.
5. What would Jeff rather do than re-join the gang?
(b) Go to med school.
(c) Go to law school.
6. Where does John want Dudley to go with him?
(a) Bob Evans.
(c) The Apple bar.
(d) Zack's Diner.
7. What does Mattie not attempt to control in her household?
(a) The TV shows.
(b) The computer use.
(c) The alcohol consumption.
(d) The swearing.
8. Who does Mattie not want to know about her condition?
9. What does Mattie discuss with Ann?
(a) Ann's family.
(b) Civil Rights Movement.
(c) Sunday dinner plans.
(d) Mattie's family.
10. Where did John direct his frustrated ambitions?
11. What does Mattie think is a big problem with her family?
(a) Alcohol abuse.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) Bad tempers.
(d) Lack of education.
12. What does John feels about Jeff's discharge?
(a) It is reversible.
(b) It is a disgrace.
(c) It was predictable.
(d) It is unfortunate.
13. Why is Grandma not happy about Ann's presence in their lives?
(a) Ann is too uppity.
(b) Ann is a white girl.
(c) No one is good enough for her grandson.
(d) Jeff should marry someone from the neighborhood.
14. How many jobs did John have to work to support the household?
15. Where will Mattie have the biopsies done?
(a) New York Presbyterian Hospital.
(b) Princeton Plainsboro Hospital.
(c) Johns Hopkins Hospital.
(d) Harlem Hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mattie especially love John?
2. Why is John perplexed to see Jeff when he returns home?
3. What is Grandma's reaction toward Ann?
4. What did John and Mattie do when Mattie's sisters came to New York?
5. From where did Mattie's two sisters come?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)