|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of John's poem?
(a) The Tigres River.
(b) The River is Wide.
(c) Rollin' on the River.
(d) The River Niger.
2. What does Mattie say is her only reward?
(a) Her good and loyal husband.
(b) Her home.
(c) Her fine son.
(d) Her health.
3. What does Grandma think is Ann's plan?
(a) Get Jeff back into a gang.
(b) Rob the house.
(c) Trap Jeff into marriage.
(d) Turn Jeff against his family.
4. For what event do Mattie and Grandma plan to go shopping?
(b) Jeff's graduation.
(c) Jeff's welcome home party.
(d) John's birthday.
5. How many jobs did John have to work to support the household?
6. Why is Grandma not happy about Ann's presence in their lives?
(a) Jeff should marry someone from the neighborhood.
(b) Ann is too uppity.
(c) Ann is a white girl.
(d) No one is good enough for her grandson.
7. What is Mattie's response to Jeff's telling her that he asked Ann to marry him?
(a) She tries to act happy.
(b) She is very happy.
(c) She is not happy at all
(d) She thinks the idea will grow on her.
8. What does Mattie ask Jeff to do before he marries Ann?
(a) Finish law school.
(b) Get a good job.
(c) Date other girls.
(d) Buy a house.
9. What would Jeff rather do than re-join the gang?
(b) Go to law school.
(d) Go to med school.
10. Where did John direct his frustrated ambitions?
11. What type of encouragement does Ann give Mattie?
12. Where does Ann say Mattie will get her true rewards?
(a) Her golden years.
(c) Her grandchildren.
(d) Her retirement.
13. Who is Mo's girlfriend?
14. Where do John and Dudley go?
(a) The liquor store.
(b) The bar.
(d) The gas station.
15. What style of language do the male characters use?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John perplexed to see Jeff when he returns home?
2. From where did Mattie's two sisters come?
3. Jeff tells his father that there are different ________________ for different people.
4. What happens after a violent confrontation between Jeff and Mo?
5. What is Grandma's reaction toward Ann?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)