|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandma comment on regarding Mattie?
(a) Her fatigue.
(b) Her dirty coat.
(c) Her late arrival.
(d) Her new hair style.
2. In what location does the play open?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A church.
(c) A brownstone.
(d) A bar.
3. Where was Ann born?
(b) South Africa.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Dudley?
5. What is Ann's occupation?
6. What is on the paper from which John reads to Ann?
(b) John's latest poem.
(c) A phone number.
(d) A few notes.
7. What does John read from the paper?
(a) A grocery list.
(b) A phone number.
(c) A to-do list.
(d) A poem he is writing.
8. Where does Ann end up spending the night?
(a) On the living room couch.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) At a Holiday Inn.
(d) At the bus station.
9. What is the name of John's wife?
10. What does Mattie say happened to her on the subway?
(a) She almost fainted.
(b) She was mugged.
(c) She lost her tokens.
(d) She got off at the wrong station.
11. What covers John's clothes when he comes into the house?
(a) An apron.
(b) Wood shavings.
12. What is John Williams' occupation?
13. Where do the events of the story take place?
(b) Harlem, New York City.
(c) The Bronx, New York City.
14. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1950s.
(c) The 1960s.
(d) The 1980s.
15. What is Grandma Wilhemina's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
2. What does Mattie tell Ann about what Jeff was in high school?
3. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
4. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
5. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)