|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
(a) The 1950s.
(b) The 1980s.
(c) The 1970s.
(d) The 1960s.
2. Who has arrived at John's house?
(a) Ann Vanderguild.
(b) Ann van der Hoevel.
(c) Anita Vanderguild.
(d) Ann Vanderbilt.
3. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
(a) John Pearson.
(b) Grandma Wilhemina.
(c) John Williams.
(d) James Hall.
4. What beverage is Grandma Wilhemina fixing?
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Hot chocolate.
5. What is Mattie carrying when she comes in?
(a) The mail.
(b) Her coat.
6. What had Dudley been doing out of the country?
(a) Visiting relatives.
7. Where do the events of the story take place?
(b) Harlem, New York City.
(d) The Bronx, New York City.
8. In what month does the play open?
9. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
(a) She had been asleep.
(b) She is intoxicated.
(c) She has been crying.
(d) She hasn't eaten.
10. What nationality is Dr. Dudley Stanton?
11. Where was Ann born?
(d) South Africa.
12. What does John count?
(a) The days until payday.
(b) The contents of his wallet.
(c) The days until Christmas.
(d) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
13. What is Ann's occupation?
14. In what location does the play open?
(a) A bar.
(b) A cafe.
(c) A brownstone.
(d) A church.
15. How many children does Dudley have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does John ask to borrow from Dudley?
2. What is the name of the local bar?
3. What falls out of John's pocket?
4. What does Dudley offer to give Mattie?
5. What does Mattie say happened to her on the subway?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)