|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
2. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
(a) John Pearson.
(b) John Williams.
(c) James Hall.
(d) Grandma Wilhemina.
3. How can John's demeanor be described as he comes into the house?
4. What can John and Dudley tell about Ann?
(a) She is very accomplished.
(b) She wants to marry Jeff.
(c) She has had a hard life.
(d) She is not very bright.
5. What noise startles Grandma Wilhemina?
(a) A car backfiring.
(b) A gunshot.
(c) A scream.
(d) Someone coming into the house.
6. What had Ann told Mattie she wouldn't do during her visit?
(a) Smoke marijuana.
(b) Have sex with Jeff.
(c) Drink liquor.
7. Where was Ann born?
(d) South Africa.
8. How much does John already owe Dudley?
9. What do Jeff and Ann do after Jeff comes home?
(a) Smoke a joint.
(b) Drink some beers.
(c) Eat dinner.
(d) Watch TV.
10. In what month does the play open?
11. What is John Williams' occupation?
12. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
(a) A political worker.
(b) A new neighbor.
(c) A social worker.
(d) A friend of Jeff's.
13. What is Mattie carrying when she comes in?
(b) The mail.
(c) Her coat.
14. What does John count?
(a) The days until payday.
(b) The contents of his wallet.
(c) The days until Christmas.
(d) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
15. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
(a) Make up a bed.
(b) Take her to dinner.
(c) Read her a poem.
(d) Fix her a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie say happened to her on the subway?
2. What does Grandma Wilhemina put in her coffee?
3. Why has Jeff been away from home?
4. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
5. What does Jeff do when he enters the house?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)