|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
(a) A new neighbor.
(b) A social worker.
(c) A friend of Jeff's.
(d) A political worker.
2. In what month does the play open?
3. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
(a) She has been crying.
(b) She hasn't eaten.
(c) She had been asleep.
(d) She is intoxicated.
4. Who is the author of THE RIVER NIGER?
(a) Joseph A. Walker.
(b) Jeremiah A. Walker.
(c) Joseph A. Bender.
(d) James A. Walker.
5. Why has Jeff been away from home?
(a) He had a job in Asia.
(b) He was traveling through Europe.
(c) He was at college.
(d) He was in the Air Force.
6. What noise startles Grandma Wilhemina?
(a) Someone coming into the house.
(b) A scream.
(c) A car backfiring.
(d) A gunshot.
7. What do Jeff and Ann do after Jeff comes home?
(a) Watch TV.
(b) Eat dinner.
(c) Drink some beers.
(d) Smoke a joint.
8. For how long has Jeff been away from home?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
9. How many children does Dudley have?
10. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
(a) The 1980s.
(b) The 1950s.
(c) The 1960s.
(d) The 1970s.
11. What is on the paper from which John reads to Ann?
(a) John's latest poem.
(b) A few notes.
(c) A phone number.
12. What is the name of the local bar?
(c) The Apple.
13. What does the author imply is lacking in black communities?
(a) Strong single mothers.
(b) Adequate housing.
(c) Good jobs.
(d) Strong male role models.
14. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
15. What does John place on the kitchen counter?
(a) Cedar jewelry box.
(b) Carton of cigarettes.
(c) The change from his pocket.
(d) A bag of groceries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe John?
2. Where was Ann born?
3. What does Dudley tell John to do for Ann?
4. What does John count?
5. Where does Ann end up spending the night?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)