|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of John's wife?
2. Who is Ann Vanderguild?
(a) A political worker.
(b) A social worker.
(c) A new neighbor.
(d) A friend of Jeff's.
3. What had Dudley been doing out of the country?
(d) Visiting relatives.
4. How much does John already owe Dudley?
5. How many children does Dudley have?
6. Who owns the brownstone where Grandma Wilhemina lives?
(a) John Pearson.
(b) Grandma Wilhemina.
(c) John Williams.
(d) James Hall.
7. What time period serves as the setting of THE RIVER NIGER?
(a) The 1960s.
(b) The 1980s.
(c) The 1950s.
(d) The 1970s.
8. Who has arrived at John's house?
(a) Anita Vanderguild.
(b) Ann van der Hoevel.
(c) Ann Vanderguild.
(d) Ann Vanderbilt.
9. What does John count?
(a) The contents of his wallet.
(b) The days until payday.
(c) The days until Christmas.
(d) The bottles of beer left in the refrigerator.
10. How many years has Ann's father been in prison?
11. What does Jeff do when he enters the house?
(a) Mixes a drink.
(b) Turns on the TV.
(c) Rolls a marijuana cigarette.
(d) Fixes a sandwich.
12. What does John read from the paper?
(a) A grocery list.
(b) A to-do list.
(c) A poem he is writing.
(d) A phone number.
13. Who is Jeff's childhood friend who comes to the house?
14. How does Chips' gang treat Ann?
(a) They take her out for drinks.
(b) They are glad to meet one of Jeff's friends.
(c) They are rude and offensive.
(d) They ignore her.
15. What does John hide behind the refrigerator?
(c) Christmas present.
(d) Bottle of whisky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of THE RIVER NIGER?
2. What alcohol has Dudley brought with him?
3. What is the name of the local bar?
4. What can Mattie tell about Grandma tonight?
5. Which of the following is not one of Chip's gang members?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)