* THE RIVER NIGER is a play about a black family living in the 1970s in Harlem.
* As the play opens, it is 4:30 on a February afternoon in a Harlem brownstone.
* Grandma Brown surreptitiously pours whiskey into a cup of coffee before retreating to her bedroom.
* John Williams, the man of the house, enters and it is obvious that he is slightly intoxicated.
* John takes a swig of whiskey from a bottle in his coat pocket and retrieves a piece of paper that has fallen out of his coat pocket.
* John reads the beginnings of a poem he is writing--"I Am the River Niger."
* John's friend, Dr. Dudley Stanton, a Jamaican medical doctor comes into the house and tells John about his fishing trip to Mexico.
* Dudley has closed his office today and John has left his painting job early in anticipation of the return of John's...
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)