|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he is captured by Arkoun, why is Taita revered?
(a) He demonstrates his medical skill on his own arrow wound.
(b) He can speak their language, which is simple.
(c) He shows them maps of the Nile, which they could not draw.
(d) He gives them all the gold he was carrying.
2. What proves that Lord Intef owned the chests of treasure hidden in his palace?
(a) The fact that they were hidden in his palace.
(b) The hidden passageway to his rooms.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) His ring seal on the locks.
3. How do Hui and Taita capture the runaway Hyksos horses?
(a) Taita sings to them.
(b) The men lasso them.
(c) The men lure them with fresh barley.
(d) The men herd them toward the Nile so that they are trapped.
4. While Lostris is pregnant, what is the one thing she asks for that she does not get?
(a) A new palace in Thebes.
(b) Freedom for Taita.
(c) Snow from Syria.
(d) A promotion for Tanus.
5. When Tanus accuses Lord Intef of being the chief of the Shrikes, what is Lord Intef's reaction?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He begins denying everything vigorously.
(c) He runs through the small sacristy door.
(d) He stands silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Lord Nembet and most of his men killed by the Hyksos?
2. What dream does Taita have to explain Lostris's pregnancy?
3. Why does Taita wait with Tanus's body the full forty days of embalming?
4. Just past the fourth cataract, what do the Egyptians encounter for the first time in their lives?
5. How does Lord Intef escape his execution with the Shrike barons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Taita's reaction to the birth of Memnon? How does he slightly bridge the gap between the roles that both Tanus and Pharaoh play in Lostris's life?
2. Why will so few people ride astride a horse? (Throughout the novel, only Hui, Taita, and Memnon dare this.) What reaction do they get when people see them astride the horses? Why do you think they get this reaction?
3. Both Tanus and Taita are struck with longing for Ethiopians possessions: the blue sword and the horses, respectively. How do these passion signal deep trouble in the future? How do these desires change the men's thinking?
4. How does Lostris deal with Lord Aqer's disgruntlement? Including previous instances of dissatisfied people, what does this say about her leadership? Is she well suited to lead the Egyptian people?
5. As the great journey south begins, why does Queen Lostris not board her ship? Is this a good example of her leadership? Why?
6. At age five, how does Memnon begin to assert himself? How does Smith draw out the contradictions between his age and his social position? What does Memnon's attitude predict for the future?
7. How does Lord Intef die? Considering his life, is this a suitable death? Why?
8. Why do Lostris and Tanus disagree over the fate of the Hyksos horses? How does this argument illustrate their respective places in society?
9. What happens when the Nile floods? How does this event bring together science and religious observation? How is it also an opportunity for vice, particularly greed?
10. How does Pharaoh bring justice following the revelation of Lord Intef as Akh-Seth? How is his punishment for the Shrikes suitable? Additionally, how is it the harshest punishment an Egyptian can suffer?
This section contains 2,354 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)