|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shufti the baron offer Tanus in return for twenty of his "slave girls"?
(a) His protection.
(b) A thousand gold rings.
(c) A letter of safe passage.
(d) A shrike bird feather.
2. Why does Shufti take so long to retaliate against Tanus and his band of men?
(a) He is waiting for orders from his captain.
(b) He is waiting for nightfall.
(c) He is waiting for Tanus's caravan to tire.
(d) He is gathering over a thousand of his own soldiers.
3. Why does Taita help a shrieking woman at the riverside?
(a) Her daughter was abducted by slave traders.
(b) Her daughter was eaten by a crocodile.
(c) She went into labor on the shore.
(d) Her son was killed in the hippopotamus hunt.
4. Tanus is nicknamed Akh-Horus. What does this name mean?
(a) Son of Horus.
(b) Brother of Horus.
(c) Revered Leader.
(d) Great Warrior.
5. What is the name of the band of men who terrorize the Upper Kingdom?
(d) Men of Salitis.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pharaoh treat Lostris?
2. Who is the first Shrike willing to help Tanus in exchange for keeping his life?
3. Of what crime does Pharaoh find Tanus guilty?
4. Where do Taita and Lostris go when they want to talk privately?
5. In order to thwart Pharaoh, what is Tanus's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout this first section, what evidence does Taita give that he is a favored slave? What was the cost of this favor?
2. Why does Lostris want to die on her wedding night? Does Taita respond properly to her demands for poison? Why?
3. After Taita is whipped because he dares to petition for Lostris and Tanus's marriage, Lostris cares for his wounds. How does she reveal that she is still a child? What hope does the reader have that her marriage to Tanus will occur?
4. When the people cry out to Pharaoh to give Tanus mercy from the death sentence, what does Pharaoh do? What leads to this decision? Does it show Pharaoh's mercy or his weakness?
5. What happens in the tombs during the three-day sandstorm? How does Taita reveal the deepest sadness that is in his heart? What does this say about his character?
6. Describe the murder of Tod onstage during the festival pageant. What does Taita reveal about humanity, as he perceives it, during this scene?
7. Why is Taita angered when he sees Lord Intef in Thebes? What does this reveal to the reader about Taita's character?
8. What condition is Tanus in when Taita finally finds him? How is this condition similar to Lostris's desire for death on her wedding night? How is Taita able to save Tanus in much the same way he saved Lostris?
9. How does Lostris interact with Pharaoh during their first three months of marriage? Though Smith does not say this is so many words, how does Pharaoh reveal his true character during this time?
10. What is the significance in the fact that Tanus is nicknamed Akh-Horus? Is it important that Hui, a boy who defected from the Shrikes in exchange for his life, gives him this name?
This section contains 1,937 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)