|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Taita approaches Lord Intef to explain Lostris's love for Tanus?
(a) He is whipped.
(b) He is imprisoned.
(c) Lord Intef threatens to kill Tanus.
(d) Lord Intef listens and approves.
2. When will Pharaoh marry Lostris?
(a) Exactly one year after the engagement is announced.
(b) In two days: the same day that the engagement is announced.
(c) As soon as she can prepare her retinue and travel to the capital.
(d) Exactly one month after the engagement is announced.
3. What is ironic about the double crown of Egypt that Pharaoh wears?
(a) The Lower Kingdom does not acknowledge his rule.
(b) The crown is merely a symbol of history, not of power.
(c) Lord Intef wears an identical crown.
(d) He does not deserve to wear the crown.
4. What does "Lostris" mean?
(a) Daughter of Kings.
(b) Girl of the Lilies.
(c) Daughter of the Waters.
(d) Daughter of the Morning.
5. What does Tanus name as one of the single worst afflictions to settle on Egypt?
(a) Pharaoh's tax collectors.
(b) The bands of slave traders.
(c) The black plague.
(d) The lack of a male heir to the throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Thebes, where do Pharaoh and his court go?
2. What deity is both Lostris's patron and symbolized by the hippopotamus?
3. Why do Taita and Tanus kill six Shrikes on the road?
4. What is the name of the band of men who terrorize the Upper Kingdom?
5. How does the audience accept the bloody, gaudy pageant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition is Tanus in when Taita finally finds him? How is this condition similar to Lostris's desire for death on her wedding night? How is Taita able to save Tanus in much the same way he saved Lostris?
2. When Taita works the Mazes for Pharaoh, what does he see? Why does he lie to the king about what he sees? What might the effect have been if he didn't lie?
3. Why is Lord Intef delighted to arrange the marriage between Lostris and Pharaoh? What plans does he reveal to Taita? How does even this brief interaction show Taita's unstable position in the court?
4. What happens in the tombs during the three-day sandstorm? How does Taita reveal the deepest sadness that is in his heart? What does this say about his character?
5. What is the significance in the fact that Tanus is nicknamed Akh-Horus? Is it important that Hui, a boy who defected from the Shrikes in exchange for his life, gives him this name?
6. In the days leading up to Lostris's wedding, Taita is not allowed to go near her. Even during the wedding ceremony, he stands at the back of the crowd and cannot see much. What is the literary significance of Taita's inability to see Lostris? How does this relate to Smith's silence about Tanus's reaction?
7. Throughout this first section, what evidence does Taita give that he is a favored slave? What was the cost of this favor?
8. How does Taita describe the hippo hunt? How does he see the animal in relation to divinity? What is the effect of the hippo hunt on Taita?
9. Explain Tanus's bow Lanata. How does this story about the weapon reveal Tanus's character?
10. What will be the crowning moment of Pharaoh's life? What is Taita's reaction to this moment and how does the reaction seem contrary to Egyptian thought?
This section contains 2,035 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)