|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hoover do during WWI?
2. What happened when Hoover goes to inspect the levee south of New Orleans?
3. In 1926, what prevented annual levee maintenance?
4. In the 1850's, what two cities were involved in a transportation and freighting competition?
5. Where did the Mississippi River Commission decide their failure was in the 1912 and 1913 floods?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the author says it is hoped that the bridge construction will "marry steamboats to railroads", what does he mean?
2. What does the Boston Club symbolize in New Orleans?
3. What are the terms that are reached for the levee that protects St. Bernard and Plaquemines to be destroyed?
4. Although the blacks are traditionally known for harvesting cotton, LeRoy Percy does not seek their help to avoid any racial tensions. Instead, Percy imports thousands of Italians and racial problems still emerge. Why does this happen?
5. The railroads and river make the Delta region flourish, yet there is a shortage of workers in the area. How will the better treatment of blacks by LeRoy Percy help this problem?
6. As many cities along the Mississippi found themselves under tremendous amounts of water, what was the mood in the Midwest?
7. World War I has begun and the Delta area is flourishing, yet lacking in manpower. Percy is a big influence for the fine development of the area, yet the more successful the area's development becomes, the more Percy's popularity decreases. Why do you think this happens?
8. How do the politics in New Orleans operate during the time of the flood in 1927?
9. Why does Thompson feel he is doing a good thing by withholding news from the public?
10. Why do people want to follow the ways of the Ku Klux Klan rather than follow Percy's successful lead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
World War I was occurring during the time of the flood. How did the war affect the Delta region during this time? Why was the war mentioned repeatedly throughout the book? Who did the war affect the greatest and why?
Essay Topic 2
During the Flood of 1927, many different "committees" were formed. Why were numerous committees established? From what social class were the chairmen selected? Were all the committees necessary?
Essay Topic 3
Many decisions in this period of time were based upon politics and what would be best for the individual. Name at least 3 events in which a decision was made based on the desires of a politician. How did this decision affect the events of this time in history?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)