|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in June of 1927?
(a) Coolidge is impeached.
(b) A giant fire destroys New Orleans.
(c) A hurricane hits the area.
(d) A second flood crest moves down the river.
2. A long series of meetings ensues to discuss the legislature to alter the river. Who moves to Washington to participate in the debates even though he was not asked?
3. How do the parishes that have been destroyed feel about the newspaper articles that are being printed?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are very surprised.
(c) They are saddened.
(d) They are happy about it.
4. What does Hoover develop a new committee to do after the 1927 floods?
(a) Find ways to deal with future floods and eliminate damage.
(b) Rebuild the area.
(c) Take care of the sick people.
(d) Find food for the area.
5. Who is in charge of the finances in New Orleans?
(a) William Percy.
(b) LeRoy Percy.
(d) Governor Simpson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does William Percy gain his reputation?
2. What is the atmosphere of the refugee camps?
3. Who makes the Flood Relief Committee overturn Will Percy's decision to evacuate the refugees?
4. On average, how many people are the refugee camps designed to hold?
5. How does the black population respond to the decision made by the council?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the possible reasons for the crops not growing?
2. What does the public mourning of Greenville show about their feelings for LeRoy Percy?
3. Explain how the refugees of the lower parishes are "swindled" out of the money that is promised to them?
4. Describe the relationship between Hoover and Moton.
5. What effects the lengths of the food stages?
6. Why does the author describe the refugee camps in such detail in conjunction with the increase in flooded areas?
7. Why does the dynamiting the levee below New Orleans prove the levees only plan to be a failure?
8. What makes Hoover the obvious candidate when Coolidge decides to not run for reelection?
9. Although William Percy hates war, he fights in WWI and emerges a hero. What does this tell the reader about William's character?
10. How will the improvements to Project Flood reduce flooding?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)