|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was unique about the crevasse at Mounds Landing?
(a) It was the largest along the Mississippi.
(b) It was the only one along the Mississippi.
(c) It was the smallest along the Mississippi.
(d) It was the only one on the Northern Mississippi.
2. What did Congress create in response to the flooding in Mississippi?
(a) The U.S. Levee Commission.
(b) The Hoover Dam.
(c) A plan to reroute the river.
(d) A plan to create walls along the river.
3. What did W.A. Percy institute in the Delta area?
(a) Mechanical plows.
(b) A new irrigation system.
(c) A new fertilizer.
(d) Sharecropping and a better treatment of blacks.
4. Where did the Mississippi River Commission decide their failure was in the 1912 and 1913 floods?
(a) "Substandard" levee construction.
(c) A poor drainage system.
(d) Using only sandbags.
5. As the floods continued, what did 30,000 people decide to do?
(a) Built taller houses.
(b) Evacuated the Delta area.
(c) Found a local evauation area.
(d) Stayed in their homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did armed St. Bernard Parish men visit the bankers of New Orleans?
2. What will eventually happen to the water released through the Mounds Landing crevasse?
3. What happened when Hoover goes to inspect the levee south of New Orleans?
4. What happened the day after Thompson's plan is implemented?
5. How were the results of Thompson's plan being predicted?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)