Prologue | Chapter 1
1. What was the weather like in the Prologue as the guests of the social party head home?
2. How is the Mississippi River described?
(a) It is one of the smallest rivers in the world.
(b) It no longer contains water.
(c) It is a medium sized river.
(d) It is the longest river in the world.
3. What percentage of the United States does the Mississippi River drain?
4. During the 19th century, what was the attitude about the Mississippi River?
(a) That if you understood the laws of nature, the river could be understood.
(b) People were just confused by the river.
(c) It was a raging machine.
(d) It was harmless.
5. What did Eads continue to do for a living in St. Louis after his family moved on?
(a) He ran a plantation.
(b) He started building ships.
(c) He opened a salvage business.
(d) He became an ironworker.
6. How did Eads assist in the Civil War?
(a) He helped import weapons for the Union Army.
(b) He was a medic.
(c) He helped keep Missouri in the Union and built ironclads.
(d) He fought on the front lines for the Union.
This section contains 5,491 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)