|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the meeting on the Griffin, what does Neidelman give Hatch from the camp excavation site?
2. How many years after Johnny died did Hatch and his mother move away from Stormhaven?
3. Hatch is screaming for help and hears a voice ask where he is. Whose voice does he hear?
4. When Rankin and Bonterre are taking readings with the Radmeter, who walked in on them?
5. What is Hatch thinking about as he walks through the Burnt Head area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hatch tell Neidelman he learned about St. Michael's Sword?
2. What does Hatch find while exploring the attic in his horse?
3. What is Neidelman's reaction to the treasure vault and what does he do when he enters?
4. What papers does Hatch find in his attic within the dusty wardrobe that accidentally comes apart?
5. What is the meeting on the Griffin about in Chapter 26?
6. Why does Hatch scream and whose voice answers Hatch's scream?
7. Why does Streeter call the crew on the radio at the Water Pit in Chapter 29?
8. What type of package is delivered to Hatch at his home?
9. What does Neidelman do when Hatch tells him that he wants to stop digging for awhile and threatens to shut down the whole operation, as per the contract?
10. What is the special sermon Woody Clay is preparing for Kerry Wopner's funeral about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between Professor Horn and Malin Hatch throughout "Riptide"? Does the relationship progress? What strains the relationship? How are these characters different?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how the theme of disobedience is evident with the Hatch brothers, Malin and Johnny. How does it affect their interpersonal relationships? How does disobedience effect what happens to each character? Present examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
What qualities help someone lead a group of people? Who shows better qualities of being a leader in "Riptide," Neidelman or Hatch? Give examples from the story to support your answer. List at least four qualities that Hatch and Neidelman demonstrate through their characters.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)