|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which twin does Isabelle believe she sees after the fight in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What does Messerschmann come to understand through Isabelle?
3. What does the author call his play?
4. Why is Isabelle upset by Hugo's announcement at the beginning of Act 3?
5. Who is supposed to rescue Isabelle following the duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is pig iron? Research its primary uses. Why does it have such an unusual name? How does the involvement of both Messerschmann and Romainville in the pig iron industry affect the outcome of the tangled love relationships in this play?
Essay Topic 2
What are the social implications of coming from "old money," like Madame Desmortes? Why do some members of society place a greater value on inherited money than on money truly earned?
Essay Topic 3
Romainville is the only character in the play who seeks love but does not have a happy ending. Why does the playwright choose to leave him unattached?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)