|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters repeatedly enter and exit in Act 2 while Isabelle stays in the conservatory?
2. Which two characters enter the conservatory first in Act 2?
3. What was Messerschmann's former profession?
4. Who is supposed to rescue Isabelle following the duel?
5. What is the pseudonym of Isabelle's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do both Hugo and Lady India fall in love (or rather, fall more deeply in love) with their romantic partners after they become poor? What does this indicate about their characters and about the playwright's message regarding the value of money?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are blackmailed by Hugo in the course of the play? For what sorts of weakness are those characters held accountable by Hugo?
Essay Topic 3
List several examples of humor in the play -- moments during which a live audience would surely laugh. How does humor serve to further character development and plot in this play?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)