|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first gives Isabelle instructions regarding her behavior at the ball?
2. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Of what is Isabelle afraid in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why is Patrice wary of Hugo?
5. Who do Hugo and Romainville discuss in the first scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, why is Madame Desmortes distressed?
2. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo for her mother's behavior, and how does he respond?
3. What does Hugo reveal to Isabelle about his plan after Isabelle apologizes about her mother's behavior?
4. Why does the playwright refer to this play as a "charade with music?"
5. What does Messerschmann come to understand after Isabelle refuses his payment offer?
6. In what way does Hugo nearly foil the efforts of Madame Desmortes in Act 3?
7. Describe the relationships between Patrice, Lady India, and Messerschmann as the play begins.
8. Describe the dispute between Isabelle and Diana at the beginning of Act 3.
9. What Biblical story does Messerschmann share with Joshua, and why?
10. Who is Countess Funela, and why is Joshua upset by her presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Biblical story of Samson? Is Messerschmann's comparison of himself with Samson an apt one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the social implications of coming from "old money," like Madame Desmortes? Why do some members of society place a greater value on inherited money than on money truly earned?
Essay Topic 3
What is a conservatory, as it exists in the mansion of Madame Desmortes? Why does the playwright choose to have the entire play take place in the conservatory, rather than allowing for a change of scene? Why does none of the action take place in the ballroom itself?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)