|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be Isabelle's reward for doing as Hugo requests regarding the event at the chateau?
2. At the beginning of the play, which two characters are engaged?
3. After Frederic and Diana exit the stage in the first scene, who enters?
4. Romainville convinces Madame Desmortes of what, regarding Isabelle?
5. Why is Patrice wary of Hugo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugo tell Isabelle regarding her duties while at the chateau? What rewards will she receive if she complies?
2. What news does Romainville bring regarding Isabelle's mother and Capulet? What are the implications of this news?
3. Why does Isabelle's mother refuse to leave the chateau with Isabelle after her hopes for romance with Hugo have been dashed?
4. How do Frederic's early actions and words in the play indicate his insecurity?
5. What impression does Hugo want to give the guests at the ball regarding his feelings and Isabelle's feelings?
6. Which characters in this play represent "old money," and which characters represent "new money?"
7. What is Isabelle's attitude toward taking payment from Hugo after performing as directed at the ball?
8. How do the romantic schemes of Madame Desmortes ultimately play out?
9. What message comes to Messerschmann by telegram at the end of the play?
10. In what way does Hugo nearly foil the efforts of Madame Desmortes in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Isabelle the heroine of this play? What personal values does she never violate, in spite of the fact that she lied about her true identity throughout most of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What are the social implications of coming from "old money," like Madame Desmortes? Why do some members of society place a greater value on inherited money than on money truly earned?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters grow or change during the course of the play? Which characters maintain their status quo? Which characters are essentially stock characters or types, essential to the plot but not expected to grow or change?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)