|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Isabelle afraid in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who does Madame Desmortes encourage to dance in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is the room filled with?
4. What is Madame Desmortes' opinion of Diana?
5. What sounds are heard offstage during Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madame Desmortes worried about the appearance of impropriety regarding Messerschmann's presence at her estate?
2. How do the romantic schemes of Madame Desmortes ultimately play out?
3. What does the gardener threaten to do regarding the rhododendrons, and why?
4. How does the conservatory differ at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, as compared to Scene 1?
5. How does Joshua respond to Messerschmann's biblical story?
6. What does Hugo convince Romainville to do in Act 1, Scene 1, and under what threat?
7. What does Messerschmann intend to do toward the end of the play, now that he is presumably ruined financially?
8. What does Joshua tell Isabelle after she and Messerschmann tear up his money?
9. What Biblical story does Messerschmann share with Joshua, and why?
10. Describe the strange sleeping habits of Frederic, along with a probable explanation for his behavior.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the frenetic entrances and exits of Frederic and Hugo impact the audience as they view this play? Is that impact harder to appreciate when reading the play than when viewing it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the behind-the-scenes maneuverings of Hugo and Madame Desmortes. Whose schemes are more convoluted? Whose schemes are ultimately more successful?
Essay Topic 3
List several examples of foreshadowing in "Ring around the Moon," in which future plot developments are hinted at, or even promised.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)