|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the estate where this play is set?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
2. Who first gives Isabelle instructions regarding her behavior at the ball?
(c) Madame Desmortes.
3. Which character is well known for pranks?
4. Who sees Hugo's high potential for marriage?
(b) Isabelle's mother.
(c) Lady India.
5. How has the scenery changed from Scene 1 to Scene 2?
(a) A storm is visible through the windows.
(b) Decorations have been added in preparation for the ball.
(c) This scene takes place in the ballroom.
(d) The room has been vandalized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event is about to take place at the chateau?
2. What is the topic of the joke that upsets Frederic?
3. When Frederic appears, what does he ask Joshua?
4. Who is Romainville?
5. What secret is shared by Patrice and Lady India?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Hugo nearly foil the efforts of Madame Desmortes in Act 3?
2. Which twin is older, and what conclusion does Joshua draw from the twins' birth order?
3. What Biblical story does Messerschmann share with Joshua, and why?
4. What does Hugo tell Isabelle regarding her duties while at the chateau? What rewards will she receive if she complies?
5. What impression does Hugo want to give the guests at the ball regarding his feelings and Isabelle's feelings?
6. Describe the tango scene between Patrice and Lady India.
7. In what way does Hugo want to expand his plan in Act 2 to unite Frederic with Isabelle?
8. What message comes to Messerschmann by telegram at the end of the play?
9. Why does Isabelle's mother refuse to leave the chateau with Isabelle after her hopes for romance with Hugo have been dashed?
10. What do Messerschmann and Isabelle do after his epiphany regarding money?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)