|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Madame Desmortes react to Hugo's secret?
(a) She already knew.
(b) She finds it hard to believe.
(c) She threatens to throw people out of the chateau.
(d) She threatens to cancel the ball.
2. What is the relationship between Lady India and Messerschmann?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She is his mistress.
(c) She is his wife.
(d) She is his aunt.
3. What is Madame Desmortes' opinion of Diana?
(a) She is having an affair with Patrice.
(b) She is having an affair with Hugo.
(c) She is perfect for Frederic.
(d) She is too aggressive for mild-mannered Frederic.
4. What is the birth order of the twins?
(a) Hugo is twenty minutes younger.
(b) Hugo is ten minutes older.
(c) Hugo is ten minutes younger.
(d) Hugo is twenty minutes older.
5. Who is asked to help manage the guests at the ball?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who travels with Isabelle?
2. Who is Capulet?
3. When Frederic appears, what does he ask Joshua?
4. In the first scene, what does Hugo ask Romainville to do?
5. What will be Isabelle's reward for doing as Hugo requests regarding the event at the chateau?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Messerschmann come to understand after Isabelle refuses his payment offer?
2. What impression does Hugo want to give the guests at the ball regarding his feelings and Isabelle's feelings?
3. How does Madame Desmortes steer Frederic toward his destiny early in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Which characters in this play represent "old money," and which characters represent "new money?"
5. What Biblical story does Messerschmann share with Joshua, and why?
6. How does Romainville convince Isabelle's mother to leave the conservatory in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. Why does Madame Desmortes question Romainville about Isabelle's lineage, and what answer does she receive?
8. Why does Hugo acknowledge his love for Diana now that she is poor? How does this fit in with the theme of the play?
9. How do Frederic's early actions and words in the play indicate his insecurity?
10. Why does Messerschmann attempt to pay Isabelle to leave the chateau?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)