|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Isabelle's mother believe is in love with Isabelle?
2. Which character has an unusual diet?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
3. What will be Isabelle's reward for doing as Hugo requests regarding the event at the chateau?
(a) She will be paid and she can keep her ball gown.
(b) She will marry Hugo.
(c) She will obtain a role in an upcoming ballet.
(d) She will be adopted by Madame Desmortes.
4. What plan does Hugo reveal to Isabelle in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He wants Isabelle to fall in love with Frederic.
(b) He wants Frederic to fall in love with Isabelle.
(c) He wants Lady India to fall in love with Frederic.
(d) He wants Frederic to fall in love with Lady India.
5. What does Hugo want the guests at the ball to think?
(a) That he is in love with two women.
(b) That he is in love with Isabelle.
(c) That he is already married.
(d) That he is in love with Lady India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Desmortes question about Isabelle?
2. What does Isabelle's mother say she told Capulet?
3. Where does Frederic sleep?
4. What sounds are heard offstage during Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Which character is well known for pranks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugo acknowledge his love for Diana now that she is poor? How does this fit in with the theme of the play?
2. What does Messerschmann vow to do to help his daughter?
3. What does Hugo convince Romainville to do in Act 1, Scene 1, and under what threat?
4. What are Madame Desmortes' comments regarding the guest list for the ball?
5. What does Hugo reveal to Isabelle about his plan after Isabelle apologizes about her mother's behavior?
6. What do Hugo and Isabelle discuss at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
7. Under what pretense does Capulet rush back into the conservatory at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? What was her real reason for returning?
8. What message comes to Messerschmann by telegram at the end of the play?
9. Describe the strange sleeping habits of Frederic, along with a probable explanation for his behavior.
10. What Biblical story does Messerschmann share with Joshua, and why?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)