|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Hugo reveal to Madame Desmortes?
(a) Lady India and Messerschmann are having an affair.
(b) Diana and Messerschmann are having an affair.
(c) Lady India and Joshua are having an affair.
(d) Diana and Hugo are having an affair.
2. Frederic says that he and his brother are different in what way?
(a) Their appearance.
(b) Their intelligence.
(c) Their hearts.
(d) Their wealth.
3. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For being shy.
(b) For being an unskilled dancer.
(c) For her mother's behavior.
(d) For being late to the ball.
4. Who does Madame Desmortes encourage to dance in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Hugo and Isabelle.
(b) Diana and Hugo.
(c) Lady India and Hugo.
(d) Frederic and Diana.
5. Which character does Isabelle's mother believe is in love with Isabelle?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is well known for pranks?
2. How has the scenery changed from Scene 1 to Scene 2?
3. What is Madame Desmortes' opinion of Diana?
4. Which two characters appear onstage first?
5. Who gives Isabelle etiquette lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Messerschmann and Isabelle do after his epiphany regarding money?
2. Which twin is older, and what conclusion does Joshua draw from the twins' birth order?
3. How do the romantic schemes of Madame Desmortes ultimately play out?
4. In what way does Hugo want to expand his plan in Act 2 to unite Frederic with Isabelle?
5. What do Hugo and Isabelle discuss at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
6. How does Joshua respond to Messerschmann's biblical story?
7. Describe the relationships between Patrice, Lady India, and Messerschmann as the play begins.
8. What does Madame Desmortes say to Romainville when she enters the conservatory following the conversation between Hugo and Romainville? What does Romainville do in response?
9. What does Messerschmann come to understand after Isabelle refuses his payment offer?
10. Why does Madame Desmortes question Romainville about Isabelle's lineage, and what answer does she receive?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)