|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters appear onstage first?
(a) Hugo and Frederic.
(b) Joshua and Hugo.
(c) Hugo and the gardener.
(d) Joshua and Frederic.
2. Who enters Act 1, Scene 2 with a guest list?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
3. Which character is well known for pranks?
4. What secret is shared by Patrice and Lady India?
(a) They are engaged.
(b) They are impoverished.
(c) They are having an affair.
(d) They are plotting a murder.
5. What sounds are heard offstage during Act 1, Scene 2?
(b) The orchestra warming up.
(d) Thunder and rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is the first topic of conversation in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What is the relationship between Lady India and Messerschmann?
4. What does Hugo say in Act 1, Scene 2 are his feelings for Isabelle?
5. Why is Hugo irritated when Isabelle's mother appears after the etiquette lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hugo and Isabelle discuss at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo for her mother's behavior, and how does he respond?
3. What does the gardener threaten to do regarding the rhododendrons, and why?
4. What does Joshua tell Isabelle after she and Messerschmann tear up his money?
5. Why does Isabelle's mother refuse to leave the chateau with Isabelle after her hopes for romance with Hugo have been dashed?
6. In what way does Hugo nearly foil the efforts of Madame Desmortes in Act 3?
7. From the moment Frederic and Isabelle first enter the conservatory at the same time in Act 2 until the moment Isabelle exits, how many entrances and exits does the actor portraying Frederic and Hugo have to make? What is the dramatic effect of such quick, elaborate pacing?
8. Under what pretense does Capulet rush back into the conservatory at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? What was her real reason for returning?
9. What message comes to Messerschmann by telegram at the end of the play?
10. What romantic intrigue does Capulet reveal to Madame Desmortes?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)