|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the supposed rationale for Isabelle's actions following the duel?
(a) She does not want to learn the result of the duel.
(b) She believes Frederic has been shot.
(c) She believes Hugo has been shot.
(d) She does not want to marry anyone.
2. What does Joshua say regarding the actions of Patrice and Lady India?
(a) They are secretly married.
(b) They have gone to the park.
(c) They are not good dancers.
(d) They have danced their way upstairs.
3. What does Diana say to her father after Hugo exits in Act 2?
(a) Her father does not have enough money to buy Hugo's affections.
(b) She wants to leave the chateau.
(c) She wants to marry Romainville.
(d) He should eat something other than noodles.
4. What does Isabelle declare to Frederic at the ball?
(a) She feels ill.
(b) That she loves him, not Hugo.
(c) She is married.
(d) She is leaving the ball.
5. For what does Isabelle chastise the wrong twin?
(a) His indecision.
(b) His wicked plan.
(c) His dietary habits.
(d) His lack of dancing skills.
6. Why is Isabelle upset by Hugo's announcement at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She does not want her mother to know about Hugo's plan.
(b) She will be embarrassed if he reveals her true identity.
(c) She wants people to know her true identity.
(d) She does not want the ball to end.
7. What topic do Isabelle and Diana discuss in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Hugo's plan.
(b) Frederic and Hugo.
(c) The ball.
(d) The benefits and drawbacks of money.
8. Who stops the two characters from fighting?
9. What does Isabelle tell Joshua before she leaves the conservatory in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She loves Messerschmann.
(b) She is a dancer.
(c) She has always been wealthy.
(d) She does not need money from Hugo, because Messerschmann has paid her.
10. What dinner order is given to Joshua in Act 2?
(a) Noodles with butter and salt.
(b) Rice with butter and salt.
(c) Rice without butter or salt.
(d) Noodles without butter or salt.
11. What does Hugo tell Isabelle at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) His plan has failed, but he will not reveal Isabelle's true identity.
(b) His plan has failed, and he intends to reveal Isabelle's true identity.
(c) His plan is finished, but he will not reveal Isabelle's true identity.
(d) His plan is finished, and he intends to reveal Isabelle's true identity.
12. What secret does Isabelle reveal to the wrong twin?
(a) Her lack of money.
(b) Her true identity.
(c) She loves Hugo.
(d) She loves Romainville.
13. Why will the new plan make Frederic fall in love with Isabelle?
(a) Seeing her amidst the rhododentrons will charm him.
(b) Diana will cancel her engagement with Frederic.
(c) Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
(d) He will think that Isabelle tried to drown herself while mourning the loss of Frederic.
14. What does Frederic offer to tell Hugo for Isabelle in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) That Isabelle is leaving the chateau.
(b) That Isabelle is engaged.
(c) That Isabelle loves Romainville.
(d) That Isabelle loves Hugo.
15. Patrice and Lady India do what throughout their conversation?
(a) Eat canapes.
(b) Dance a tango.
(c) Have a physical fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main character in Messerschmann's story is known for what?
2. One character complains about what at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Which two characters have a physical fight in Act 3?
4. How does Isabelle respond to Frederic's offer?
5. Why does Messerschmann intend to commit financial suicide?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)