|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Messerschmann offers to pay Isabelle if she agrees to do what?
(a) Leave the chateau.
(b) Join his ballet company.
(c) Marry Frederic.
(d) Marry Hugo.
2. In what era does the play take place?
(a) The early 1980's.
(b) The late 1940's.
(c) The late 1840's.
(d) The early 1880's.
3. Why is Hugo annoyed with Isabelle at the ball?
(a) She flirted with Frederic.
(b) She is too friendly with Diana.
(c) She does not use proper etiquette.
(d) She flirted with Romainville.
4. The main character in Messerschmann's story is known for what?
(a) His skill as a builder.
(b) His coat of many colors.
(c) His superhuman strength and prowess.
(d) His cowardice.
5. Why does Messerschmann make his offer in Act 3 to Isabelle?
(a) So his daughter will be the most beautiful woman at the ball.
(b) Isabelle's presence is distressing to his daughter.
(c) He thinks she is a talented dancer.
(d) So his daughter can marry Hugo.
6. What does Hugo want Isabelle to do following the fake duel?
(a) Throw herself into the lake.
(b) Leave the estate.
(c) Throw herself into the rhododendrons.
(d) Marry Messerschmann.
7. What do Messerschmann and Isabelle do following their discussion in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) Leave the chateau.
(c) Tear up his money.
(d) Seek revenge against Hugo.
8. How does Isabelle respond to Frederic's offer?
(a) She says there is no longer any need to tell Hugo of her love.
(b) She accepts his offer.
(c) She does not want Hugo to know she is leaving.
(d) She does not want Hugo to know any of her secrets.
9. What does Messerschmann plan to do after committing financial suicide?
(a) Return to his native country and become a builder.
(b) Stay in France and become a tailor.
(c) Stay in France and become a builder.
(d) Return to his native country and become a tailor.
10. Patrice and Lady India do what throughout their conversation?
(a) Dance a tango.
(c) Eat canapes.
(d) Have a physical fight.
11. What does Isabelle declare to Frederic at the ball?
(a) She is married.
(b) That she loves him, not Hugo.
(c) She is leaving the ball.
(d) She feels ill.
12. Messerschmann has threatened to do what if Isabelle does not leave the ball at the end of Act 2?
(a) Ruin Isabelle's dancing career.
(b) Ruin Romainville financially.
(c) Expose Isabelle's true identity.
(d) Ruin Hugo financially.
13. Which two characters have a physical fight in Act 3?
(a) Frederic and Hugo.
(b) Hugo and Romainville.
(c) Isabelle and Diana.
(d) Messerschmann and Romainville.
14. Who kisses Isabelle?
15. Which twin is confident with women?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, who does Hugo tell Diana that he was with yesterday?
2. Who does Diana think she saw kissing Isabelle?
3. Hugo tells Diana that Patrice is in love with whom?
4. What circumstance has changed from Act 1 to Act 2?
5. Who controls the pig iron industry?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)