|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Messerschmann and Isabelle do following their discussion in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) Leave the chateau.
(c) Seek revenge against Hugo.
(d) Tear up his money.
2. What possibility does Capulet hint at to Madame Desmortes in Act 2?
(a) Madame Desmortes has a secret admirer.
(b) A couple might elope.
(c) A romantic plot is underway.
(d) A duel might occur.
3. What does Joshua promise Messerschmann at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) He will help Messerschmann win the love of Diana.
(b) He wil try to repair or replace the torn money.
(c) He will make the long distance call when Messerschmann is ready.
(d) He will help Messerschmann win the love of Isabelle.
4. What does Frederic tell Isabelle about Hugo in Act 2?
(a) He is shy around women.
(b) He is having an affair.
(c) He is a ladies' man.
(d) He is married.
5. Who does Diana order to follow her out of the conservatory in Act 3, Scene 1?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
6. What is the pseudonym of Isabelle's mother?
(a) Countess Desmortes.
(b) Madame Funela.
(c) Madame Desmortes.
(d) Countess Funela.
7. What is Patrice worried about in Act 2?
(a) Lady India might fall in love with one of the twins.
(b) Frederic might not marry Diana.
(c) Messerschmann might discover his affair with Lady India.
(d) Frederic might marry Diana.
8. In Act 2, who does Hugo tell Diana that he was with yesterday?
(d) Lady India.
9. Why does Hugo decide to add a new suitor for Isabelle?
(a) To increase Frederic's ardor.
(b) He is bored with the original plan.
(c) Isabelle is bored with the original plan.
(d) Isabelle does not like Hugo.
10. What alibi does Hugo give to Diana for where he was while she was in the park?
(a) He was taking dance lessons.
(b) He was playing billiards.
(c) He was eating noodles.
(d) He was kissing Lady India.
11. Messerschmann has threatened to do what if Isabelle does not leave the ball at the end of Act 2?
(a) Ruin Romainville financially.
(b) Ruin Isabelle's dancing career.
(c) Expose Isabelle's true identity.
(d) Ruin Hugo financially.
12. Why is Isabelle a heroine?
(a) She is the most beautiful woman at the ball.
(b) She tears up money.
(c) She has personal values that are more important to her than money.
(d) She agreed to Hugo's plan.
13. Why will the new plan make Frederic fall in love with Isabelle?
(a) Seeing her amidst the rhododentrons will charm him.
(b) He will think that Isabelle tried to drown herself while mourning the loss of Frederic.
(c) Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
(d) Diana will cancel her engagement with Frederic.
14. Which other character is involved in the pig iron industry, without controlling it?
(b) Madame Desmortes.
15. What secret does Isabelle reveal to the wrong twin?
(a) Her true identity.
(b) She loves Romainville.
(c) Her lack of money.
(d) She loves Hugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is supposed to rescue Isabelle following the duel?
2. What dinner order is given to Joshua in Act 2?
3. Why does Messerschmann intend to commit financial suicide?
4. Which twin is confident with women?
5. One character complains about what at the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)