|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Madame Desmortes react to Hugo's secret?
(a) She already knew.
(b) She threatens to cancel the ball.
(c) She threatens to throw people out of the chateau.
(d) She finds it hard to believe.
2. What is the birth order of the twins?
(a) Hugo is ten minutes younger.
(b) Hugo is twenty minutes younger.
(c) Hugo is ten minutes older.
(d) Hugo is twenty minutes older.
3. What does Capulet pretend to forget so she can return to the conservatory?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) The guest list.
(c) Her boa.
4. Who gives Isabelle etiquette lessons?
(b) Madame Desmortes.
5. How has the scenery changed from Scene 1 to Scene 2?
(a) Decorations have been added in preparation for the ball.
(b) The room has been vandalized.
(c) This scene takes place in the ballroom.
(d) A storm is visible through the windows.
6. Why does Romainville hide Isabelle's mother?
(a) To conceal her from Hugo.
(b) To conceal her from her daughter.
(c) To conceal her from Madame Desmortes.
(d) To conceal her from her husband.
7. Who do Hugo and Romainville discuss in the first scene?
8. Who examines the guest list in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
9. What is the room filled with?
(b) Hothouse flowers.
(c) Ballroom guests.
(d) Suitcases and trunks.
10. Who owns the estate where this play is set?
(b) Madame Desmortes.
11. With whom does Messerschmann make his first entrance?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
12. Who does Madame Desmortes encourage to dance in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Lady India and Hugo.
(b) Frederic and Diana.
(c) Hugo and Isabelle.
(d) Diana and Hugo.
13. After Frederic and Diana exit the stage in the first scene, who enters?
(a) Lady India and Patrice.
(b) Lady India and Joshua.
(c) Patrice and Hugo.
(d) Madame Desmortes and Joshua.
14. Who is Romainville?
(a) The uncle of Lady India.
(b) The brother of Madame Desmortes.
(c) The uncle of Diana.
(d) A patron of the arts.
15. Who confirms that no one suspects Hugo's plan?
(c) Madame Desmortes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first topic of conversation in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What does Hugo tell Isabelle about Diana?
3. Isabelle is expected to make the guests believe what?
4. Of what is Isabelle afraid in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is the topic of the joke that upsets Frederic?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)