|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first topic of conversation in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The upcoming ball.
(b) Affairs of the heart.
(d) Frederic's odd sleeping habits.
2. Who is asked to help manage the guests at the ball?
3. How has the scenery changed from Scene 1 to Scene 2?
(a) A storm is visible through the windows.
(b) Decorations have been added in preparation for the ball.
(c) This scene takes place in the ballroom.
(d) The room has been vandalized.
4. What is the birth order of the twins?
(a) Hugo is ten minutes younger.
(b) Hugo is twenty minutes older.
(c) Hugo is twenty minutes younger.
(d) Hugo is ten minutes older.
5. Who do Hugo and Romainville discuss in the first scene?
6. With whom does Messerschmann make his first entrance?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
7. Why does Romainville hide Isabelle's mother?
(a) To conceal her from her husband.
(b) To conceal her from Hugo.
(c) To conceal her from Madame Desmortes.
(d) To conceal her from her daughter.
8. Which character has an unusual diet?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
9. Whose joke upsets Frederic?
(d) Madame Desmortes'.
10. In the first scene, what does Hugo ask Romainville to do?
(a) Introduce Isabelle as his niece.
(b) Propose marriage to Isabelle.
(c) Introduce Diana as his niece.
(d) Propose marriage to Diana.
11. The play takes place in what sort of room?
12. Lady India is a cousin to whom?
(b) The twins.
(c) Madame Desmortes.
13. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For being an unskilled dancer.
(b) For being late to the ball.
(c) For being shy.
(d) For her mother's behavior.
14. What will be Isabelle's reward for doing as Hugo requests regarding the event at the chateau?
(a) She will marry Hugo.
(b) She will be adopted by Madame Desmortes.
(c) She will obtain a role in an upcoming ballet.
(d) She will be paid and she can keep her ball gown.
15. What secret does Hugo reveal to Madame Desmortes?
(a) Lady India and Messerschmann are having an affair.
(b) Lady India and Joshua are having an affair.
(c) Diana and Messerschmann are having an affair.
(d) Diana and Hugo are having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the joke that upsets Frederic?
2. Frederic says that he and his brother are different in what way?
3. Where does Hugo want Isabelle to stay?
4. For what does Madame Desmortes congratulate Romainville?
5. What does Hugo want Isabelle to do/be at the event taking place at the chateau?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)