|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugo want Isabelle to do/be at the event taking place at the chateau?
(a) Be the most beautiful woman at the ball.
(b) Teach the other women how to dance.
(c) Embarrass Lady India.
(d) Marry him.
2. Where does Hugo want Isabelle to stay?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In Paris.
(c) At her home.
(d) At the chateau.
3. What does Hugo say in Act 1, Scene 2 are his feelings for Isabelle?
(a) He dislikes her.
(b) He enjoys her sense of humor.
(c) He has no romantic intentions.
(d) He thinks she is too old for him.
4. Who is Joshua?
(a) Madame Desmortes' husband.
(b) Hugo's brother.
(c) The butler.
(d) The gardener.
5. Romainville hides Isabelle's mother where?
(a) Behind a chair.
(b) Behind a drapery.
(c) Behind a trellis.
(d) In the rhododendrons.
6. Who is Capulet?
(a) The daughter of Madame Desmortes.
(b) The wife of Patrice.
(c) The companion of Madame Desmortes.
(d) The wife of Messerschmann.
7. Romainville interrupts Hugo and Isabelle with what news?
(a) A guest at the ball will eat only noodles.
(b) Capulet and Messerschmann are old childhood friends.
(c) Isabelle's mother and Capulet are old childhood friends.
(d) Isabelle's mother and Madame Desmortes are old childhood friends.
8. How does Romainville lure Isabelle's mother out of the conservatory?
(a) He offers her some dinner.
(b) He asks her to dance.
(c) He pretends to be in love with her.
(d) He promises her an unfettered view of the arriving carriages and guests.
9. Why does Hugo believe he is a better match for Diana than Frederic?
(a) Hugo's laziness fits hers better than Frederic's strong work ethic.
(b) Hugo's callous behavior fits hers better than Frederic's kind nature.
(c) Hugo's sense of humor fits hers better than Frederic's seriousness.
(d) Hugo's irresponsibility fits hers better than Frederic's responsiblilty.
10. What secret is shared by Patrice and Lady India?
(a) They are engaged.
(b) They are having an affair.
(c) They are plotting a murder.
(d) They are impoverished.
11. Who is Romainville?
(a) The brother of Madame Desmortes.
(b) The uncle of Lady India.
(c) The uncle of Diana.
(d) A patron of the arts.
12. What plan does Hugo reveal to Isabelle in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He wants Frederic to fall in love with Isabelle.
(b) He wants Lady India to fall in love with Frederic.
(c) He wants Isabelle to fall in love with Frederic.
(d) He wants Frederic to fall in love with Lady India.
13. Where does Frederic sleep?
(a) In the rhododendrons below Hugo's window.
(b) In the rhododendrons below Diana's window.
(c) In the roses below Diana's window.
(d) In the roses below Hugo's window.
14. Who invited the Messerschmanns to visit at the chateau?
(b) Lady India.
15. Which character does Isabelle's mother believe is in love with Isabelle?
Short Answer Questions
1. Isabelle is expected to make the guests believe what?
2. Which character has an unusual diet?
3. What is Madame Desmortes' opinion of Diana?
4. Who gives Isabelle etiquette lessons?
5. With whom does Messerschmann make his first entrance?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)