|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hugo irritated when Isabelle's mother appears after the etiquette lessons?
(a) She follows a strange diet.
(b) He had asked her to stay out of sight.
(c) She is prettier than Isabelle.
(d) He had sent her back to the hotel.
2. Why is Patrice wary of Hugo?
(a) Hugo and Patrice love the same woman.
(b) Hugo could reveal his secret to Madame Desmortes.
(c) Hugo could reveal his secret to Messerschmann.
(d) Hugo is having an affair with Patrice's wife.
3. Romainville interrupts Hugo and Isabelle with what news?
(a) A guest at the ball will eat only noodles.
(b) Isabelle's mother and Madame Desmortes are old childhood friends.
(c) Isabelle's mother and Capulet are old childhood friends.
(d) Capulet and Messerschmann are old childhood friends.
4. Who does Madame Desmortes encourage to dance in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Diana and Hugo.
(b) Frederic and Diana.
(c) Lady India and Hugo.
(d) Hugo and Isabelle.
5. Who is in a wheelchair?
(b) Madame Desmortes.
6. Who enters Act 1, Scene 2 with a guest list?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
7. In whose honor is the ball being given?
(a) Lady India.
(c) Madame Desmortes.
8. Whose joke upsets Frederic?
(b) Madame Desmortes'.
9. How does Madame Desmortes react to Hugo's secret?
(a) She threatens to throw people out of the chateau.
(b) She threatens to cancel the ball.
(c) She already knew.
(d) She finds it hard to believe.
10. Why does Isabelle apologize to Hugo in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) For being late to the ball.
(b) For her mother's behavior.
(c) For being shy.
(d) For being an unskilled dancer.
11. At the beginning of the play, which two characters are engaged?
(a) Frederic and Diana.
(b) Hugo and Diana.
(c) Hugo and Madame Desmortes.
(d) Frederic and Madame Desmortes.
12. Who does Madame Desmortes question about Isabelle?
(c) Isabelle's daughter.
(d) Isabelle's mother.
13. What does the gardener intend to do with the shrubbery?
(a) Sleep in the shrubbery.
(b) Cut down the shrubbery.
(c) Set mouse traps in the shrubbery.
(d) Set wolf traps in the shrubbery.
14. In the first scene, what does Hugo ask Romainville to do?
(a) Propose marriage to Isabelle.
(b) Propose marriage to Diana.
(c) Introduce Isabelle as his niece.
(d) Introduce Diana as his niece.
15. With whom does Messerschmann make his first entrance?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Romainville hide Isabelle's mother?
2. Where does Frederic sleep?
3. Frederic says that he and his brother are different in what way?
4. How does Romainville lure Isabelle's mother out of the conservatory?
5. What is the room filled with?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)