|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invited the Messerschmanns to visit at the chateau?
(c) Lady India.
2. Where does Hugo want Isabelle to stay?
(a) At her home.
(b) In Paris.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) At the chateau.
3. Which character is well known for pranks?
4. In the first scene, what does Hugo ask Romainville to do?
(a) Introduce Diana as his niece.
(b) Propose marriage to Isabelle.
(c) Introduce Isabelle as his niece.
(d) Propose marriage to Diana.
5. Who enters Act 1, Scene 2 with a guest list?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
6. Who is in a wheelchair?
(d) Madame Desmortes.
7. How does Romainville lure Isabelle's mother out of the conservatory?
(a) He pretends to be in love with her.
(b) He offers her some dinner.
(c) He asks her to dance.
(d) He promises her an unfettered view of the arriving carriages and guests.
8. At the beginning of the play, which two characters are engaged?
(a) Hugo and Diana.
(b) Hugo and Madame Desmortes.
(c) Frederic and Diana.
(d) Frederic and Madame Desmortes.
9. Which two characters appear onstage first?
(a) Hugo and Frederic.
(b) Joshua and Frederic.
(c) Joshua and Hugo.
(d) Hugo and the gardener.
10. Who is asked to help manage the guests at the ball?
11. Romainville interrupts Hugo and Isabelle with what news?
(a) Isabelle's mother and Madame Desmortes are old childhood friends.
(b) A guest at the ball will eat only noodles.
(c) Capulet and Messerschmann are old childhood friends.
(d) Isabelle's mother and Capulet are old childhood friends.
12. What does Capulet pretend to forget so she can return to the conservatory?
(b) Her boa.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) The guest list.
13. Which character has an unusual diet?
(a) Madame Desmortes.
14. What is the relationship between Lady India and Messerschmann?
(a) She is his aunt.
(b) She is his wife.
(c) She is his mistress.
(d) She is his daughter.
15. What secret does Hugo reveal to Madame Desmortes?
(a) Lady India and Joshua are having an affair.
(b) Lady India and Messerschmann are having an affair.
(c) Diana and Hugo are having an affair.
(d) Diana and Messerschmann are having an affair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hugo believe he is a better match for Diana than Frederic?
2. In whose honor is the ball being given?
3. What does Isabelle's mother say she told Capulet?
4. Who is Joshua?
5. What is the room filled with?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)