|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Death and the Woman doing?
2. The Mariner thinks the objects he watches in the moonlight are:
3. Who is guiding, not steering, the Ship while it is being crewed by the dead men?
4. Who lies dead on the Ship at the beginning of Part IV?
5. What does the Mariner hear after the spirits make their form?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the theme of sin throughout the poem. Analyze how it is significant to the plot and the meaning. Be sure to include the sins of both the Mariner and the crew, how sin in the natural world relates to the supernatural world, and how those sins effected their fates.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is an important theme in the story. Analyze its presence and influence on the characters and actions throughout the poem. Be sure to include the importance of prayer, the cross, the kirk, and the Hermit.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the presentations of Thomas Burnet in the Epigraph and the text of the poem itself regarding the invisible Natures. Analyze each presentation separately and then show how they are alike and/or unlike one another. Be sure to include specific references to the text.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)