|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Mariner describe the sails of the other ship?
2. What does the Mariner do, without realizing it, after watching the objects in the moonlight?
3. How many men are there in the crew?
4. Whose are the two voices the Mariner hears while unconscious?
5. In what does the Mariner see the curse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the poem, eyes are prominently mentioned. Analyze the significance of their mentions, how they influence the story, and any deeper significance they might have. Feel free to include your personal opinions on the importance of eyes.
Essay Topic 2
The Line, the name used for the equator in the poem, is a location where many events of significance occur in the poem. Examine these events and analyze the particular importance of them occurring at the world's equator. In particular, analyze how the Line acts as a physical nexus for all kinds of action, natural and supernatural.
Essay Topic 3
Present an in-depth analysis of the presence and importance of prayer in the story. Expound on the centrality and efficacy of prayer for the Mariner. Be sure to keep any and all judgments within the context of the poem alone.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)