|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Mariner hear talking while he is unconscious?
2. The Mariner's heart is as:
3. How is the moon described?
4. What does the Woman win?
5. Who makes the dead men rise?
Essay Topic 1
Present a coherent analysis of the character of Wedding-Guest. Important things to consider include:
1) His unwillingness to listen but compulsion to do so;
2) His fearful interruptions;
3) His actions at the end of the story (not attending the wedding);
4) Waking up the following morning "sadder and wiser."
Essay Topic 2
Present an in-depth analysis of the presence and importance of prayer in the story. Expound on the centrality and efficacy of prayer for the Mariner. Be sure to keep any and all judgments within the context of the poem alone.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of the natural world in the poem. Analyze how it is used by characters and forces, why it is significant, in what ways it is important to the advancement of the story, how it is abused, and in what ways it is essential to the story.
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)