|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the Mariner remain unconscious?
2. Who takes pity on the Mariner after he watches the objects in the moonlight?
3. What does the Mariner watch in the moonlight?
4. Who sends the "gentle sleep from Heaven"?
5. What forces are steering the Ship while the Mariner is unconscious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Guest interrupt the Mariner in Part V? How does the Mariner respond?
2. What two things is the Mariner thankful for at the beginning of Part V, and to whom are these things attributed?
3. Who does the Mariner describe as a "ghastly crew", and why?
4. Why are the souls of the crew compared to the cross-bow?
5. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
6. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
7. What natural force is described as "roaring" after the Mariner wakes from the Heavenly sleep? What is unusual about it?
8. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
9. Describe the dice game between Death and Life-in-Death.
10. What happens to the Ship after the Mariner faints? Who relates the action of the story while he is unconscious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of the supernatural world in the poem. Analyze its interaction with the natural world, the poem's characters, and the reasons it acts the way it does. Be certain to discuss the different attitudes of the different supernatural forces towards the Mariner.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the superstition of the characters in the poem. How does superstition become a controlling factor in the lives of those on the Ship? How is superstition portrayed in the story? Is it frivolous and silly, or justified? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of the natural world in the poem. Analyze how it is used by characters and forces, why it is significant, in what ways it is important to the advancement of the story, how it is abused, and in what ways it is essential to the story.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)