|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Mariner NOT describe seeing when he returns to his country?
2. What leaves the bodies of the crew?
3. Who sends the "gentle sleep from Heaven"?
4. Who is the Mariner eager to see on the rescue boat?
5. What does the person working beside the Mariner say to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sounds the Mariner hears towards the end of Part VI, and how are they received by him?
2. After regaining consciousness from fainting, what does the Mariner again feel the effects of? What are those effects?
3. What two body parts are most strongly emphasized in Part III? How?
4. How does the Mariner's attitude toward his surroundings in Part IV change? What does this prompt?
5. Why is it important that the Mariner remains unconscious at the beginning of Part VI? What happens when he awakes?
6. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
7. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
8. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
9. In your own words, what is the simile the Mariner constructs after the marginal notes say the curse is expiated?
10. How does Coleridge use colors in Part IV of the poem? What are some of the colors he uses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the mounting of despair in the first half of the poem. What sort of events prompt feelings of despair? What influence upon despair is had by the supernatural? How much of the despair experience is strictly natural? Be sure to mention the inability to speak, and particularly to pray.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the presentations of Thomas Burnet in the Epigraph and the text of the poem itself regarding the invisible Natures. Analyze each presentation separately and then show how they are alike and/or unlike one another. Be sure to include specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the poem's presentation of contrition, redemption, and penance. Explain how each follows upon the other in the Mariner's story; how does he achieve each? How do these three things relate to human nature, guilt?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)