|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the form of the spirits attract?
2. For how long is the Mariner unconscious after fainting?
3. What does the Mariner feel when he wakes up after fainting?
4. Who makes the dead men rise?
5. What does the Guest fear at the beginning of Part IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. After regaining consciousness from fainting, what does the Mariner again feel the effects of? What are those effects?
2. Why are the souls of the crew compared to the cross-bow?
3. How is Life-in-Death described? What is the significance of Life-in-Death's description?
4. What are the sounds the Mariner hears towards the end of Part VI, and how are they received by him?
5. In your own words, what is the simile the Mariner constructs after the marginal notes say the curse is expiated?
6. For how long does the Mariner suffer? How is this significant?
7. What natural force is described as "roaring" after the Mariner wakes from the Heavenly sleep? What is unusual about it?
8. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
9. Why does the Guest interrupt the Mariner in Part V? How does the Mariner respond?
10. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the superstition of the characters in the poem. How does superstition become a controlling factor in the lives of those on the Ship? How is superstition portrayed in the story? Is it frivolous and silly, or justified? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of the supernatural world in the poem. Analyze its interaction with the natural world, the poem's characters, and the reasons it acts the way it does. Be certain to discuss the different attitudes of the different supernatural forces towards the Mariner.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of the natural world in the poem. Analyze how it is used by characters and forces, why it is significant, in what ways it is important to the advancement of the story, how it is abused, and in what ways it is essential to the story.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)