Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at midday while the Ship is being crewed by the dead men?
2. What are Death and the Woman doing?
3. What leaves the bodies of the crew?
4. What falls into the sea, like lead?
5. What does the Mariner watch in the moonlight?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the mounting of despair in the first half of the poem. What sort of events prompt feelings of despair? What influence upon despair is had by the supernatural? How much of the despair experience is strictly natural? Be sure to mention the inability to speak, and particularly to pray.
Essay Topic 2
Religion is an important theme in the story. Analyze its presence and influence on the characters and actions throughout the poem. Be sure to include the importance of prayer, the cross, the kirk, and the Hermit.
Essay Topic 3
Present a coherent analysis of the character of Wedding-Guest. Important things to consider include:
1) His unwillingness to listen but compulsion to do so;
2) His fearful interruptions;
3) His actions at the end of the story (not attending the wedding);
4) Waking up the following morning "sadder and wiser."
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)