|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day does the Mariner wake up after fainting?
2. How is the moon described?
3. Who does the Mariner find himself working beside, "knee to knee"?
4. What slides into the soul of the Mariner?
5. Who steers the Ship after the dead men rise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dice game between Death and Life-in-Death.
2. Describe the death of the crew.
3. What are the sounds the Mariner hears towards the end of Part VI, and how are they received by him?
4. Who does the Mariner describe as a "ghastly crew", and why?
5. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
6. Why are the souls of the crew compared to the cross-bow?
7. What happens to the Ship after the Mariner faints? Who relates the action of the story while he is unconscious?
8. What two things is the Mariner thankful for at the beginning of Part V, and to whom are these things attributed?
9. What natural force is described as "roaring" after the Mariner wakes from the Heavenly sleep? What is unusual about it?
10. How does Coleridge use colors in Part IV of the poem? What are some of the colors he uses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the superstition of the characters in the poem. How does superstition become a controlling factor in the lives of those on the Ship? How is superstition portrayed in the story? Is it frivolous and silly, or justified? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of the natural world in the poem. Analyze how it is used by characters and forces, why it is significant, in what ways it is important to the advancement of the story, how it is abused, and in what ways it is essential to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Present an analysis of the poem's reversal. How does the Mariner move from despair to hope? Is it primarily a change in his external conditions, or his internal disposition? What impact do the natural and/or supernatural world have on the change in the Mariner?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)