|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mariner feel when he wakes up after fainting?
2. Why must the Mariner remain unconscious?
3. When can the Mariner not do again when he awakes after fainting?
4. How many passengers are on the ship that arrives?
5. How many times does the Woman whistle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things is the Mariner thankful for at the beginning of Part V, and to whom are these things attributed?
2. What are the sounds the Mariner hears towards the end of Part VI, and how are they received by him?
3. In your own words, what is the simile the Mariner constructs after the marginal notes say the curse is expiated?
4. After regaining consciousness from fainting, what does the Mariner again feel the effects of? What are those effects?
5. Describe what the Mariner sees when he turns his eyes back to the deck of the Ship, after describing the harbor in Part VI.
6. For how long does the Mariner suffer? How is this significant?
7. Describe the dice game between Death and Life-in-Death.
8. How does Coleridge use colors in Part IV of the poem? What are some of the colors he uses?
9. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
10. At the beginning of Part IV, what is the Mariner's relationship to prayer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide an analysis of the Mariner's character. How does his character change from the beginning of his narrative to the end? How does he describe in the framing part of the story? What are his joys and sorrows? How does he change from before he tells his story to after he tells it?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of the supernatural world in the poem. Analyze its interaction with the natural world, the poem's characters, and the reasons it acts the way it does. Be certain to discuss the different attitudes of the different supernatural forces towards the Mariner.
Essay Topic 3
Explicate the structure of the poem's story. Be sure to discuss complication, climax, and reversal (as well as any other applicable dramatic elements). Analyze how the elements move from one to the next.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)