|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Mariner do, without realizing it, after watching the objects in the moonlight?
(a) Praises Death and Life-in-Death.
(b) Curses the corpses of the crew.
(c) Curses the water-snakes.
(d) Blesses the water-snakes.
2. What does the person working beside the Mariner say to him?
(b) We are going home.
(c) God bless you.
3. Who sends the "gentle sleep from Heaven"?
(a) The Albatross.
(b) The gods.
4. When the Mariner awakes after the Heavenly sleep, what does he find?
(b) That the corpses of the crew are gone.
(c) His homeland.
5. What "thousand thousand" things live on?
(a) Angry spirits.
(b) The crew.
(d) Slimy things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death is described as the Woman's:
2. What does the Woman win?
3. What slides into the soul of the Mariner?
4. Who does the Mariner hear talking while he is unconscious?
5. What are Death and the Woman doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
2. How is Life-in-Death described? What is the significance of Life-in-Death's description?
3. Describe the death of the crew.
4. What natural force is described as "roaring" after the Mariner wakes from the Heavenly sleep? What is unusual about it?
5. What happens to the Ship after the Mariner faints? Who relates the action of the story while he is unconscious?
6. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
7. Why does the Guest interrupt the Mariner in Part V? How does the Mariner respond?
8. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
9. What two body parts are most strongly emphasized in Part III? How?
10. For how long does the Mariner suffer? How is this significant?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)