|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the speakers the Mariner hears while unconscious say is not yet over for the Mariner?
(a) The wedding.
(b) His journey.
(c) His punishment.
(d) His story.
2. In what direction is the Mariner looking when he spots something at the Line?
3. Who does the Mariner hear talking while he is unconscious?
(a) His nephew.
(b) Two spirits.
(c) The Polar Spirit.
(d) The crew.
4. At what time of day does the Mariner wake up after fainting?
(a) In the morning.
(b) At night.
(c) In the afternoon.
(d) At evening.
5. What sort of weather is occurring when the Ship begins to move?
(a) Gently raining.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first strange thing noticed about the movement of the object that approaches the Ship at the Line?
2. What does the Mariner feel when he wakes up after fainting?
3. Who lies dead on the Ship at the beginning of Part IV?
4. Who claims the crew?
5. The Mariner thinks the objects he watches in the moonlight are:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coleridge use colors in Part IV of the poem? What are some of the colors he uses?
2. What two body parts are most strongly emphasized in Part III? How?
3. What do the two spirits discuss at the end of Part V?
4. Why is it important that the Mariner remains unconscious at the beginning of Part VI? What happens when he awakes?
5. What happens to the Ship after the Mariner faints? Who relates the action of the story while he is unconscious?
6. After regaining consciousness from fainting, what does the Mariner again feel the effects of? What are those effects?
7. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
8. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
9. What does the Mariner mean when he says, "O let me be awake, my God! / Or let me sleep alway," in the middle of Part VI?
10. How does the Mariner's attitude toward his surroundings in Part IV change? What does this prompt?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)