|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is guiding, not steering, the Ship while it is being crewed by the dead men?
(a) The Mariner.
(c) The helmsman.
(d) The Polar Spirit.
2. Who steers the Ship after the dead men rise?
(a) The Mariner.
(b) The helmsman.
(c) The Mariner's brother.
(d) The Guest.
3. What do the speakers the Mariner hears while unconscious say is not yet over for the Mariner?
(a) His punishment.
(b) His journey.
(c) The wedding.
(d) His story.
4. What does the Woman win?
(a) The Ship.
(b) The Mariner.
(d) The Albatross.
5. How is the moon described?
Short Answer Questions
1. What falls into the sea, like lead?
2. How does the Mariner describe the sails of the other ship?
3. How does the Ship begin to move after the Mariner wakes from the Heavenly sleep?
4. When the Mariner awakes after the Heavenly sleep, what does he find?
5. When the Mariner awakes after the Heavenly sleep, what does he "almost" think happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things is the Mariner thankful for at the beginning of Part V, and to whom are these things attributed?
2. Describe the dice game between Death and Life-in-Death.
3. How does the Mariner's attitude toward his surroundings in Part IV change? What does this prompt?
4. Why is it important that the Mariner remains unconscious at the beginning of Part VI? What happens when he awakes?
5. How does Coleridge use colors in Part IV of the poem? What are some of the colors he uses?
6. What do the two spirits discuss at the end of Part V?
7. Why are the souls of the crew compared to the cross-bow?
8. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
9. At the beginning of Part IV, what is the Mariner's relationship to prayer?
10. Describe the death of the crew.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)