|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is the ocean subservient?
(a) The Mariner.
(b) The Sun.
(c) The Moon.
(d) The Polar Spirit.
2. Why does the Mariner envy the Moon and stars?
(a) They are pure.
(b) They move.
(c) They are in the sky.
(d) They have friends.
3. How many men are there in the crew?
4. When the Mariner awakes after the Heavenly sleep, what does he find?
(a) His homeland.
(c) That the corpses of the crew are gone.
5. Death is described as the Woman's:
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Mariner try to do, but cannot?
2. How many times does the Woman whistle?
3. Who does the Mariner hear talking while he is unconscious?
4. What comes between the Mariner's Ship and the sun?
5. How many passengers are on the ship that arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the Mariner sees when he turns his eyes back to the deck of the Ship, after describing the harbor in Part VI.
2. What is the Mariner's initial reaction to his surroundings in Part IV? Why is this significant?
3. How do you describe the change in the Mariner's condition through Part IV of the poem?
4. What are some of the descriptions of the ship carrying Death and Life-in-Death?
5. For how long does the Mariner suffer? How is this significant?
6. How is Life-in-Death described? What is the significance of Life-in-Death's description?
7. What happens to the Ship after the Mariner faints? Who relates the action of the story while he is unconscious?
8. How does the Mariner's attitude toward his surroundings in Part IV change? What does this prompt?
9. What two body parts are most strongly emphasized in Part III? How?
10. Who does the Mariner describe as a "ghastly crew", and why?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)