|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase, "Day after day, day after day" suggest?
(a) The persistence of the crew in getting home.
(b) The repetitiveness of being becalmed.
(c) The constant flow of the water past the Ship.
(d) The remorse of the Mariner for killing the Albatross.
2. In what direction does the ship go after the Albatross arrives?
3. Slimy things are seen crawling with legs upon the slimy what?
4. What are seen dancing at night?
(c) The Mariners.
(d) Sea creatures.
5. What is the relationship between the Guest and the Bridegroom?
(a) Next of kin.
(b) Distant cousins.
(d) Close friends.
6. What hangs around the Mariner's neck?
(a) A noose.
(b) The dead Albatross.
(c) A medallion.
(d) A metal cross.
7. Which Ocean is the ship described as entering?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Arctic Ocean.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
8. Who/what arises on the left of the Ship, from the sea?
(a) The Albatross.
(b) The Polar Spirit.
(c) The Sun.
(d) The Mariner.
9. Epigraph means:
(a) A collection of lines from the poem, placed at its beginning to foreshadow themes to come.
(b) A brief letter written by the author of a poem about his work.
(c) A quote or citation placed at the beginning of a literary work in order to set a theme for the whole.
(d) A rhyming quatrain with which a poem begins or ends.
10. Which form of Nature does this poem focus on?
(a) The invisible.
(b) The visible.
(c) The spiritual.
(d) The human.
11. What color is the ice?
12. How long is the poem's Epigraph?
(a) A paragraph.
(b) Three paragraphs.
(c) Six pages.
(d) Two pages.
13. What is the main theme of the poem?
(a) The pursuit of Freedom.
(b) The problem of Greed.
(c) The study of Natures.
(d) The adventures of Sea-Travel.
14. How does the Ship's journey begin?
15. What comes through the snow-fog and is joyfully received?
(a) The Pilot.
(b) An Albatross.
(c) The Guest.
(d) The Polar Spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Ship after the fog lifts?
2. The water is compared to what mystical substance?
3. Who, are some sailors assured in their dreams, follows the Ship?
4. What initially changes the sailors' minds about the Albatross, to think negatively of it, after it dies?
5. From what work of Thomas Burnet's does the Epigraph derive?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)