|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high is the ice in the polar region?
(a) Below the water.
(b) Bow high.
(c) Higher than can be seen.
(d) Mast high.
2. What does Thomas Burnet think people ought to do about these natures?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Not study them.
(c) Destroy them.
(d) Study them.
3. What does Thomas Burnet say we must keep a sense of?
(c) Better worlds.
4. What does the Mariner see in the moonlight?
(b) The Albatross.
(c) The Pilot's boat.
(d) Creatures of the great calm.
5. When do the Mariner's shipmates "drop down dead"?
(a) At the rising of the sun.
(b) At the setting of the sun.
(c) When the scary ship leaves.
(d) At the rising of the moon.
6. How many of the men does the Mariner stop?
7. Why do his shipmates cry out against the Mariner?
(a) For fighting with them.
(b) For killing the Albatross.
(c) For complaining about the cold.
(d) For leading the Ship the wrong way.
8. Where are the men the Mariner meets going?
(a) To a boat.
(b) To their graves.
(c) To a council meeting.
(d) To a wedding.
9. Who has the first speaking line?
(a) Thomas Burnet.
(b) The Wedding-Guest.
(c) The Pilot.
(d) The Ancient Mariner.
10. At what time of day does the Albatross die?
(a) Early Morning.
11. What comes through the snow-fog and is joyfully received?
(a) The Polar Spirit.
(b) The Guest.
(c) The Pilot.
(d) An Albatross.
12. What does the phrase, "Day after day, day after day" suggest?
(a) The remorse of the Mariner for killing the Albatross.
(b) The persistence of the crew in getting home.
(c) The constant flow of the water past the Ship.
(d) The repetitiveness of being becalmed.
13. What question does Thomas Burnet ask about these natures?
(a) Where do the Natures reside?
(b) How does man distinguish between the visible and invisible?
(c) Who explains the invisible Nature to us?
(d) Who explains the visible Nature?
14. After the fog lifts, what suddenly happens to the Ship?
(a) The main mast breaks.
(b) It begins to sink.
(c) It runs into a reef.
(d) It is becalmed.
15. What comes upon the Ship when it reaches the Line?
(a) Total calm.
(b) The Storm-blast.
(d) The Sickness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Guest initially think of the Mariner?
2. What color is the ice?
3. The water is compared to what mystical substance?
4. What are seen dancing at night?
5. What kinds of worlds are implied in the Epigraph?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)