|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high is the ice in the polar region?
(a) Bow high.
(b) Higher than can be seen.
(c) Mast high.
(d) Below the water.
2. What is the overall tone of the Epigraph?
3. Why does Thomas Burnet say people study invisible Nature?
(a) To broaden their minds.
(b) To know the truth.
(c) To live happily.
(d) To find peace.
4. How does the Albatross die?
(a) The Mariner shoots it with his crossbow.
(b) The Albatross is hit by falling ice and drowns in the sea.
(c) The Mariner's nephew shoots it with a crossbow.
(d) The crew forgets to feed the Albatross and it freezes to death.
5. How does the Guest listen to the Mariner?
(a) Obediently, like a child.
(b) Mournfully, like a teenager.
(c) Attentively, like a journalist.
(d) The Guest does not listen to the Mariner.
6. In what direction does the ship initially sail?
7. What comes through the snow-fog and is joyfully received?
(a) An Albatross.
(b) The Polar Spirit.
(c) The Guest.
(d) The Pilot.
8. The water is compared to what mystical substance?
(a) Witch's oil.
(b) Tears of a Mermaid.
(c) Greek fire.
(d) Dragon fire.
9. What is the name of the learned Jew?
(a) Marcus Aurelius.
(c) Michael Psellus.
10. What stops the Guest?
(a) A locked gate.
(b) The Mariner's eye.
(c) Armed guards.
(d) A large stone.
11. What is a synonym of the word "Rime" in the poem's title?
12. What does the Epigraph help the reader to see in the poem?
(a) The importance of invisible Nature.
(b) The necessity of mercy.
(c) The value of foresight.
(d) The impossibility of truth.
13. What hangs around the Mariner's neck?
(a) A medallion.
(b) A metal cross.
(c) The dead Albatross.
(d) A noose.
14. What hangs around the Mariner's neck?
(a) A noose.
(b) A medallion.
(c) Death's dice cup.
(d) The dead Albatross.
15. How many men does the Mariner meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Guest command the Mariner to do?
2. What does Thomas Burnet think people ought to do about these natures?
3. From where is the Ship followed?
4. What two Natures does Thomas Burnet say there are?
5. What is the relationship between the Guest and the Bridegroom?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)