|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke writes, "So for him who becomes solitary, all distances, all measures ____."
2. From what book of the Bible does Mood quote in the Epilogue?
3. Rilke writes, as the first lines of "Blood-Remembering," "Ah! but verses amount to so little when one writes them _____."
4. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke suggests that we hold our life to the most difficult, and that which now "still seems to us the most alien will become" what?
5. How does the poet refer to childhood days to recall in "Blood-Remembering"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Rilke accomplished in his epitaph, according to Mood?
2. What does Mood examine about Rilke's vision of the empty space within the rose?
3. What does Mood preface "Blood-Remembering" with, in discussing the poet?
4. What does Mood believe Rilke associated between life and death?
5. In Mood's discussion of "The Difficulty of Dying," what symbol does he analyze first?
6. What comparison does Rilke use to explain human experience in "The Dragon-Princess"?
7. What is sacred to Mood regarding Rilke's writing? How does he express this in regarding his grave?
8. What must one "see" in order to write a single verse, according to Rilke?
9. In "Blood-Remembering," what is the author's discussion of writing from "feelings"?
10. What metaphor does Rilke use in describing solitude in "The Dragon-Princess"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of Rilke's writing which make him a precursor to the feminist movement. What aspects of his writing and his theory are ahead of his time in these matters? How does he relate the female and the male form?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John L. Mood's interpretation of Rilke as a writer. How did Mood first encounter Rilke? What drew him to the poet's writing? In what era did Mood become fascinated with Rilke and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the poet, Rainer Maria Rilke. What are Rilke's common subjects in his writing? What genres of literature did Rilke write? What are the overriding themes which embody his works?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)