|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the book, Mood writes in the Epilogue, "My work here, then, is only a ______, as I indicated in the Prologue."
2. What is the "romantic notion held by many young people," that Mood speaks of in introducing "Blood-Remembering"?
3. From what book of the Bible does Mood quote in the Epilogue?
4. What shall we "indeed turn" upon recognizing our solitude in "The Dragon-Princess"?
5. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke suggests that we hold our life to the most difficult, and that which now "still seems to us the most alien will become" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke say of "forgetting" in "Blood-Remembering"?
2. What happens once man has acclimated himself to solitude, according to Rilke in "The Dragon-Princess"?
3. What word does Mood focus on regarding Rilke's writing of "The Dragon-Princess"?
4. What is remarkable about Rilke's vision in "The Dragon-Princess"?
5. In "Blood-Remembering," what does Rilke write about the young as writers?
6. What does Rilke remark in "Blood-Remembering" of the memories themselves?
7. What three authors does the commentator compare to Rilke's quote, "Murderers are easily comprehended"?
8. In "Blood-Remembering," what is the author's discussion of writing from "feelings"?
9. What metaphor does Rilke use in describing solitude in "The Dragon-Princess"?
10. What does Mood discuss in the introduction to "The Dragon-Princess"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of Rilke's writing which make him a precursor to the feminist movement. What aspects of his writing and his theory are ahead of his time in these matters? How does he relate the female and the male form?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the poet, Rainer Maria Rilke. What are Rilke's common subjects in his writing? What genres of literature did Rilke write? What are the overriding themes which embody his works?
Essay Topic 3
What is the subject and theme of "Mausoleum"? What mythological allusion does the poet use in this poem? What structural components stand out in this poem?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)