|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what language has the author translated the poems and prose excerpts of "Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties"?
2. One poem, using nature imagery, reads, "Cheerful gift from the chillier / mountains / attempts to leap into ____."
3. Which poem from "Rilke's Poems of Other Difficulties" speaks of a king?
4. The commentator notes that all of the poems in "Rilke's Poems on Love" were written when he was how old?
5. What does Rilke accuse of vilifying sensuality and love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke write of using the metaphor of water, song, and play in his untitled poems?
2. What does the commentator say regarding Rilke's feminism in the Prologue?
3. Discuss the subjects of "Greek Love Talk" and "The Lovers." What imagery is used?
4. How does Rilke suggest sexuality should be regarded in terms of innocence? What does he say of children?
5. In the untitled poems following "The Lovers," what imagery does the poet use?
6. What references to Venus does Rilke make in the untitled poems of "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
7. What is the poet writing about in "The Poet Praises"?
8. What is the subject and imagery in the poem "Magic"?
9. Discuss the subjects and imagery of "The Poems Praise."
10. How does Mood describe Rilke's masculinity and femininity in his poetry? What does he say of Rilke's own life in this regard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "The Seven Phallic Poems" in terms of subject, theme, symbolism, imagery, and structure.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the poems "Woman's Lament I" and "Woman's Lament II." What structural differences are there in these poems? What similarities in regard to subject and theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mood's analysis of Rilke's epitaph. How does Mood dissect the poem into pieces, looking at each segment as it interlocks with the next? How does he view the translating of the words?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)