|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke write that he holds to be "the highest task of a bond between two people"?
2. What does the commentator say was Rilke's mode of exploration during "the long periods between his well-known great creative bursts of energy"?
3. Who does Rilke say is incapable of such loving as he calls for?
4. In Part IV of "The Seven Phallic Poems," the poet writes, "You don't know ______, with your diffidence."
5. In introducing Rilke's love poetry, the commentator notes that the poet's sexual and sensual undertones are mostly overlooked because of the striking impact of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mood describe Rilke's masculinity and femininity in his poetry? What does he say of Rilke's own life in this regard?
2. What does the commentator say regarding the transition to the 1960s' promiscuity and what this transition lacked?
3. What does Rilke say regarding the young and marriage in his letters?
4. Discuss the subjects and imagery of "The Poems Praise."
5. What reference does Rilke use to the god Hermes in The Seven Phallic Poems?
6. What metaphors does Rilke use for a woman's womb in The Seven Phallic Poems?
7. What happens when one gives oneself completely over to love, according to the poet?
8. Discuss the subjects of "Greek Love Talk" and "The Lovers." What imagery is used?
9. What does the commentator say regarding Rilke's feminism in the Prologue?
10. What does Mood say regarding Rilke's sensuality in the introduction to his poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of Rilke's writing which make him a precursor to the feminist movement. What aspects of his writing and his theory are ahead of his time in these matters? How does he relate the female and the male form?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rilke in terms of Expressionism and Existentialism. How does Rilke fit into these movements, when and where did they arise, and what in his works reflect these styles?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "The Seven Phallic Poems" in terms of subject, theme, symbolism, imagery, and structure.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)