|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poem begins with the line, "And the last perhaps will not return"?
2. One poem, using nature imagery, reads, "Cheerful gift from the chillier / mountains / attempts to leap into ____."
3. What is the title of the poem which begins, "Center, how you draw yourself out"?
4. What is the name of the artists' colony in Russian where Rilke was further influenced in his writing?
5. Rilke writes in one letter, "Almost everything ______ is difficult, and everything is _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. What references to Venus does Rilke make in the untitled poems of "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
2. What happens when one gives oneself completely over to love, according to the poet?
3. In the fourth and fifth of The Seven Phallic Poems, what imagery does the poet use for climax?
4. What does Rilke write of in his first poem of "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
5. What does Mood say in regard to Rilke's vision of Eros in the Prologue?
6. What are the subjects discussed in the "Woman's Lament" poems?
7. In the untitled poems of "Rilke's Poems of Other Difficulties," how does Rilke write of the gods?
8. What influences does Mood speak of on Rilke's writing in his introduction to "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
9. What does the commentator say regarding the transition to the 1960s' promiscuity and what this transition lacked?
10. Discuss the subjects and imagery of "The Poems Praise."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a poem such as the following, discuss the relevance and significance of its short length. What is the subject of the poem? What is its theme? What is your analysis of its structure?
"Also to affirm even rapture / like a thing"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following in terms of their influence on Rilke and his writing: Friedrich Nietzsche, Auguste Rodin, Sigmund Freud.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the poet, Rainer Maria Rilke. What are Rilke's common subjects in his writing? What genres of literature did Rilke write? What are the overriding themes which embody his works?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)