|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," that if we think of the existence of the individual as a "larger or smaller" what?
2. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke writes "That mankind has in this sense been cowardly has done life endless _____."
3. What is the "romantic notion held by many young people," that Mood speaks of in introducing "Blood-Remembering"?
(a) That life is meaningful without love.
(b) The the answers exist.
(c) That the answers lie in the ink.
(d) That one needs only to experience things in order to know them.
4. Mood writes that the affirmative tone of "The Dragon-Princess" comes from its ambiguity and what?
5. In "Blood-Remembering," Rilke writes "One must be able to think back to roads in ________."
(a) Childhood memory.
(b) Remote lands.
(c) Unknown regions.
(d) Days of yore.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what work of Norman O. Brown's does Mood quote from in the Epilogue?
2. What of the sea does Rilke write of remembering in "Blood-Remembering"?
3. What does Rilke write "that rushed along on high and flew with all the stars"?
4. Who does the commentator conclude that Rilke's epitaph addresses?
5. What would one feel, displaced from one's room and set in a place of great solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Rilke make in the end of "The Dragon-Princess" which echoes that of theories of psychology?
2. What does Mood preface "Blood-Remembering" with, in discussing the poet?
3. What does Mood posit that the word "Desire" implies in "The Difficulty of Dying"?
4. What is the poem discussed in "The Difficulty of Dying"?
5. What comparison does Rilke use to explain human experience in "The Dragon-Princess"?
6. What happens once man has acclimated himself to solitude, according to Rilke in "The Dragon-Princess"?
7. What is remarkable about Rilke's vision in "The Dragon-Princess"?
8. What metaphor does Rilke use in describing solitude in "The Dragon-Princess"?
9. What does Rilke remark of childhood memories in "Blood-Remembering"?
10. What does Mood discuss in the introduction to "The Dragon-Princess"?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)