|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what comes the line, "Killing is a form of our wandering mourning"?
(a) Duino Elegies.
(b) Sonnets to Orpheus.
(c) The Seven Phallic Poems.
(d) Letters to a Young Poet.
2. Mood writes in "The Difficulty of Dying," that Rilke says of lovers, "Being full of life, ... are full of ____."
3. From what novel is the excerpt "Blood-Remembering" taken?
(a) The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge.
(b) The Duino Elegies.
(c) Letters to a Young Poet.
(d) Into the Looking Glass.
4. Mood writes in the introduction to "The Dragon-Princess," "Unambiguous affirmation is" what?
5. On what word does Mood focus in examining the ambiguity of "The Dragon-Princess"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What must "one know" in order to write a single verse?
2. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke writes, "It is not _____ alone that is responsible for human relationships repeating themselves from case to case..."
3. From what comes the line, "Murderers are / easily comprehended"?
4. Who does Mood quote in the Epilogue as having written, "A social order which draws a distinction between the wish and the deed, between the criminal and the righteous, is this a kingdom of darkness"?
5. The accompaniment to writing poetry as a subject to Rilke is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Blood-Remembering," what does Rilke write about the young as writers?
2. What word does Mood focus on regarding Rilke's writing of "The Dragon-Princess"?
3. In Mood's discussion of "The Difficulty of Dying," what symbol does he analyze first?
4. What happens once man has acclimated himself to solitude, according to Rilke in "The Dragon-Princess"?
5. What does "under so many lids" reference in "The Difficulty of Dying"?
6. In "Blood-Remembering," what is the author's discussion of writing from "feelings"?
7. What is sacred to Mood regarding Rilke's writing? How does he express this in regarding his grave?
8. What does Rilke remark of childhood memories in "Blood-Remembering"?
9. What does Mood discuss in the introduction to "The Dragon-Princess"?
10. What three authors does the commentator compare to Rilke's quote, "Murderers are easily comprehended"?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)