|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mood writes that Rilke's novel is "dialectically" what?
2. Who insisted on placing a large cross on a separate tombstone for Rilke?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His son.
(d) His grandson.
3. Mood writes in "The Difficulty of Dying," "The sleep is no one's, yet it belongs intimately to ____."
(a) The rose.
(b) The sleeping.
(c) The love.
(d) The dreamer.
4. In "Blood-Remembering," Rilke writes "One must be able to think back to roads in ________."
(a) Remote lands.
(b) Days of yore.
(c) Unknown regions.
(d) Childhood memory.
5. Who does Mood quote in the Epilogue with the line, "... tormentor and tormented pedant and dunce wooer and wooed speechless and reafflicted with speech in the dark mud nothing to emend there"?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) Norman O. Brown.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," "We have no reason to mistrust our world, for it is not _______."
2. What does Rilke suggest we do to the possible dangers at hand in life?
3. Rilke writes in "Blood-Remembering" that quite at the end of life, one might be able to write how many verses that were good?
4. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," He would think himself falling or hurled _________, or exploded into a thousand pieces."
5. What would one feel, displaced from one's room and set in a place of great solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poem discussed in "The Difficulty of Dying"?
2. From what text is "Blood-Remembering" taken? What character is speaking?
3. What does Mood say of Orpheus in his interpretation of "The Difficulty of Dying"?
4. What word does Mood focus on regarding Rilke's writing of "The Dragon-Princess"?
5. What does "Blood-Remembering" mean?
6. What has Rilke accomplished in his epitaph, according to Mood?
7. What does Rilke remark in "Blood-Remembering" of the memories themselves?
8. What metaphor does Rilke use in describing solitude in "The Dragon-Princess"?
9. What metaphor does Rilke make in the end of "The Dragon-Princess" which echoes that of theories of psychology?
10. What does "under so many lids" reference in "The Difficulty of Dying"?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)