|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, with absinthe, "trickle through silent sieves of kisses of bitter essence"?
2. In the poem, "From the Cycle: Nights," Rilke writes, "Night. Oh you in depths ______."
3. One poem, using nature imagery, reads, "Cheerful gift from the chillier / mountains / attempts to leap into ____."
4. The commentator regards that Rilke's "justly famed deep spirituality" is rooted essentially in what?
5. Two-thirds of the poems in "Rilke's Poems on Other Difficulties" come from what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sculptor had an influence on Rilke's writing?
2. In "From the Cycle: Nights," Rilke personifies "Night" as what?
3. Writing of one of his principle motifs, the poet writes, "Transform stamen on stamen, / fill your interior _____."
4. In what poem does Rilke write "Life and death: they are one, at core intertwined"?
5. Rilke remarks in his letters that his sex is "not directed only toward posterity" but is is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rilke write of in his first poem of "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
2. What are the subjects discussed in the "Woman's Lament" poems?
3. Discuss the subjects and imagery of "The Poems Praise."
4. What is Rilke's discussion regarding religion and the Christian church specifically in his letters?
5. Discuss the subjects of "Greek Love Talk" and "The Lovers." What imagery is used?
6. What is the poet writing about in "The Poet Praises"?
7. What does Mood say in regard to Rilke's vision of Eros in the Prologue?
8. What does Rilke say regarding the institute of marriage and solitude?
9. What happens when one gives oneself completely over to love, according to the poet?
10. What influences does Mood speak of on Rilke's writing in his introduction to "Poems of Other Difficulties"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)