|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what poems does Rilke refer to the rose as a "body of nothing but radiance"?
(a) Seven Phallic Poems.
(b) Duino Elegies.
(c) The Rose Poems.
(d) Sonnets to Orpheus.
2. What author does Rilke refer to in "The Dragon-Princess"?
3. Mood writes in "The Difficulty of Dying," "the contradiction is a ____ one, that is, it resides in the bloom itself."
4. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke writes, "It is not _____ alone that is responsible for human relationships repeating themselves from case to case..."
5. Speaking of solitude, Rilke writes, "We are solitary. We may _____ ourselves and act as though this were not so."
(a) Lie to.
6. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," He would think himself falling or hurled _________, or exploded into a thousand pieces."
(a) Onto the moon.
(b) Into the ocean.
(c) Out into space.
(d) Across the universe.
7. Rilke writes, "So for him who becomes solitary, all distances, all measures ____."
8. For the sake of what, much one see many cities, men and things, etc.?
(a) A poem.
(b) A novel.
(c) A song.
(d) A single verse.
9. What does Rilke write of "screams of women" in "Blood-Remembering"?
(a) In regret.
(b) In sorrow.
(c) In heartbreak.
(d) In labor.
10. Rilke writes in "Blood-Remembering" that quite at the end of life, one might be able to write how many verses that were good?
11. How much earlier than his death did Rilke pen his epitaph?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three years.
(d) One month.
12. In "Blood-Remembering," Rilke writes "One must be able to think back to roads in ________."
(a) Days of yore.
(b) Childhood memory.
(c) Unknown regions.
(d) Remote lands.
13. Rilke writes, as the first lines of "Blood-Remembering," "Ah! but verses amount to so little when one writes them _____."
(c) Through dreams.
14. What does Mood compare "the wise old age" to in the introduction to "Blood-Remembering"?
(c) Ripe fruit.
(d) Rose petals.
15. What word is difficult in translation of Rilke's epitaph because of a pun on the word in the original German?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Dragon-Princess," Rilke writes "That mankind has in this sense been cowardly has done life endless _____."
2. What literary technique is used in the following? "lifted out of the riverbed of endless possibilities"?
3. Which word of Rilke's epitaph is set aside by commas?
4. Mood writes in the introduction to "The Dragon-Princess," "Unambiguous affirmation is" what?
5. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," "We have no reason to mistrust our world, for it is not _______."
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)