|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a very short untitled poem, Rilke writes, "The voices warned me so I _____."
2. What does Rilke suggest that the young are apt to do in love?
(a) Stand solitary.
(b) Marry for money.
(c) Not listen to each other.
(d) Give oneself away.
3. What does Rilke write is a simplification of one's way of life?
4. In Rilke's first letter he suggests to the reader to "resolve to be always" what?
5. In the introduction to "Rilke's Poems on Love," the commentator states that Rilke's imagery is all what?
6. What is the title of the poem which begins, "From indescribable transformation flash / such creations--: Feel! and trust!"?
(c) "Greek Love-Talk."
7. In what year did Rilke write "The Seven Phallic Poems"?
8. What does Rilke write in Part V of "The Seven Phallic Poems" has "weakened you and me"?
(a) Too strong a love.
(b) Too great a distance.
(c) Too strong an adversary.
(d) Too ample space.
9. Who does Rilke say is incapable of such loving as he calls for?
(c) Young people.
(d) Religious people.
10. In "Rilke's Poems on Other Difficulties," Rilke writes in one poem from 1924, "We are not to know why / this and that _____ us."
11. In "The Seven Phallic Poems," who "grasps suddenly the bull bud of his vitality"?
(a) The gardener.
(b) The rose-gatherer.
(c) The maiden.
(d) The soldier.
12. In Rilke's one-line poem of the love poems, he writes, "This is the mute-mouthed mounting of the ______."
13. Mood notes in his introduction to Rilke's poetry that the poet was "in no way an _______, nor in his life."
14. In "Gravity," Rilke writes, "Yet from the _____ falls, / as from a stored up cloud, / abundant rain of force."
15. In the excerpt of Rilke's letter in the Introduction, what essay does he refer to reading?
(a) Cicero's Symposium.
(b) Homer's Odyssey.
(c) Plato's Symposium.
(d) Platos' Cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rilke writes in one untitled poem, "Like the _____ of quickly grown-up girls / one braids differently."
2. Rilke writes in his letters, "Why have they made our sex _______, instead of making it the place for the festival of our competency?"
3. In Part IV of "The Seven Phallic Poems," the poet writes, "You don't know ______, with your diffidence."
4. What literary term applies to the following: "exhaust yourself like a spring"?
5. One poem, using nature imagery, reads, "Cheerful gift from the chillier / mountains / attempts to leap into ____."
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)