|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Difficulty of Dying: Rilke's Self-Composed Epitaph.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rilke suggest that the young are apt to do in love?
(a) Marry for money.
(b) Give oneself away.
(c) Not listen to each other.
(d) Stand solitary.
2. How much earlier than his death did Rilke pen his epitaph?
(a) Fifteen months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three years.
(d) One month.
3. What must "one know" in order to write a single verse?
(a) The world.
(b) The women.
(c) The rivers.
(d) The animals.
4. Whose influence helped to expand Rilke's vision, according to Mood?
5. What does Rilke write about in conjunction with love and sex in Part VI of "The Seven Phallic Poems"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only novel that Rilke wrote?
2. What does Rilke write that one ought to wait and gather "a whole life long," in "Blood-Remembering"?
3. Rilke writes in "The Seven Phallic Poems," "We close ______ by means of our gazes."
4. In "Rilke's Poems on Other Difficulties," Rilke writes in one poem from 1924, "We are not to know why / this and that _____ us."
5. What would one feel, displaced from one's room and set in a place of great solitude?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)