|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Difficulty of Dying: Rilke's Self-Composed Epitaph.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what comes the line, "Killing is a form of our wandering mourning"?
(a) The Seven Phallic Poems.
(b) Letters to a Young Poet.
(c) Duino Elegies.
(d) Sonnets to Orpheus.
2. In the last of the untitled love poems, the poet writes, "Do you feel, distant dear miss, / since you are _______ me."
3. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," that "fear of the inexplicable has not alone ______ the existence of the individual."
4. In one untitled poem from "Rilke's Poems of Other Difficulties," the poet writes, "Give me, oh earth, pure _____ / clay for the jug of tears."
5. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," that if we think of the existence of the individual as a "larger or smaller" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What must "one know" in order to write a single verse?
2. What book of Simone de Beauvoir's does the commentator say led him to "militant feminism" in the Introduction to "Rilke's Letters on Love"?
3. Rilke writes in "The Dragon-Princess," "We have no reason to mistrust our world, for it is not _______."
4. What literary technique is used in the following? "lifted out of the riverbed of endless possibilities"?
5. The commentator remarks in the Introduction, "It should be emphasized that Rilke's language is thoroughly _______."
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)